How You Like Me Now? - The Karim Benzema Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Shay Z, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Imo this team never looked beat last season. Every single time they needed to find a goal in the CL they found it. Usually within ten or fifteen minutes. And the defence held tight when we needed them to as well.

Benzema was a key part of that, but so was Vinicius and Rodrygo and Modric and Courtois and etc etc. It was team spirit that dragged us through, rather than one or two individuals.

Deep Pal and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  2. petros93

petros93 Member

Real Madrid
    Greece
    May 27, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    Greece
    I was referring to a specific moment in a specific match. To my eyes at least at that moment the team was beat. Benzema's moment of brilliance though turned it around. That was my whole point. That generally other goals had magic moments from other players. But that one goal at that moment was all on Benzy.

3. DoughB

DoughB Member

Real Madrid
    Oct 26, 2020
    Nah you're minimizing Benzema's performances in the knockout rounds. He was the man, took the biggest responsibilities with those hattricks, winning goals and penalties, it was unreal. Others have helped him too obviously.

This was the result of Benzema finally getting some attacking help in 4 years after busting his ass and but kept us competing on a high level and now finally winning the CL (almost breaking ronaldo's ko goals record?) after making the semi finals couple times with no help upfront.

That first goal against City was indeed mindblowing, it really showed me how he was not going to be denied by any team no matter the circumstances, dude was on a mission and just kept going.

petros93 and Deep Pal repped this.
  4. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Aensensen, Deep Pal, RMSocrates and 4 others repped this.
  5. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Aensensen, Deep Pal and Doni repped this.
  6. Raumdeuter

Raumdeuter Member+

Jan 14, 2009
    Texas
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Just watched the PSG vs Madrid game in Spain again. That 3rd goal still feels special

temesgen, Aensensen, saadomar and 5 others repped this.
  7. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    I remember when people use to mock us for talking about his combination play.

The guy is one of the best at that in history.

Aensensen, saadomar, DoughB and 3 others repped this.
  8. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

He’s the legend that keeps growing

Aensensen, saadomar, DoughB and 2 others repped this.
  9. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
  10. saadomar

saadomar Member+

Real Madrid
    Mar 21, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid

No Karim Benzema? The dude is a be-all-end-all player for Real Madrid. If he gets injured, my favorite team's season derails. There is nobody who has to put more on his shoulders than Karim. Best player in the world and deserved Ballon d'Or winner. The prem league bias is ridiculous from ESPN FC.

temesgen repped this.
  11. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    There is no pressure on Karim.

There are nine players in the first team at Madrid who are under more pressure than Karim.

He has a lot of responsibility, but that’s different to pressure. He has nothing to prove to anyone any more.

12. Serengeti_Boy

Serengeti_Boy Member+

Sep 15, 2009
    Serengeti, East Africa
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Tanzania
    I think Vini if at all has more pressure. This tends to happen after the breakout season.

Besides him, Rodrygo, Cama and obviously Tchoumeni as a marque new signing.

13. Icalldibbs

Icalldibbs Member

Real Madrid
    Mexico
    Mar 12, 2019
    Lol. Not one of those players for me are top 5 most under pressure. Maybe maguaire. How is lewa not on the list. If he doesn’t help Barca win CL and La liga, they may not pay him next season.

temesgen, MiamiNative0722, ahnaf and 6 others repped this.
  14. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    lol

15. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So I can't really decide who's higher on the ATG list between Benzema and Ibrahimovic.

Benzema has CL titles and soon a Balon D'or to his claim, but he's played second fiddle for the majority of his career, including for most of those CL titles. Ibrahimovic was always the franchise player. He also has more league titles to his name in more countries, and he has 500 career goals compared to Benzema's 400. Then again a lot of these goals and league titles are in the French league (and even MLS) so they don't have the same weight.

Its an interesting comparison also because they are two very different characters. Ibrahimovic has always been a leader albeit a controversial one, while Benz has only recently grown into that role. Thoughts?

16. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    No contest, Benzema all day every day. I like Ibrahimovic a lot, but let's be honest, a lot of his kudos is down to a great marketing campaign by Nike and his team. Benzema has really blossomed late in his career, but those Champions League wins puts him in front of most.

Deep Pal repped this.
  17. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    For me, Benzema is the more talented, more complete and, ultimately, the better player. Sure, Ibra has been widely succesful in Italy and France, but that's just a step or two below La Liga. In addition, Benzema's CL record (and Ibra's lack thereof) speaks for itself. And I'm not talking solely about CL wins either...All in all, for me it's a no contest. Benzema belongs to the absolute greats in his position. Ibra is a level below that.

Just for the record: I have never rated Ibra as a true great. His undeniable quality (he was an excellent player!) in combination with the character he plays (marketing) is what made him such a star in most people's minds in my humble opinion.

Saeta Rubia and Nathanial Essex repped this.
  18. Hendrix22

Hendrix22 Member+

Feb 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I would say Benzema edges out because of the CL. He wasn't the main guy, but was far from a peripheral figure either in those titles before last year. I think Ibra is a bit underrated because his quality and consistency was elite for so long, he didn't have the ups and downs Benz had. And also because Italian football is underrated.

Then again there are many greats who haven't won the CL, Ronaldo Fenomeno comes to mind and he is above Benzema on the all time list. Ibrahimovic's determination and passion to win was always bigger than Benzema's. I'd still say Benzema was overall better, but its very close for me.

19. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Deep Pal, temesgen, Shay Z and 3 others repped this.
  20. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Madrid players with most titles:

1) Marcelo - 25
    2) Benz - 23
    2) Gento - 23
    4) Ramos - 22
    5) Sanchis - 21

Madrid players with most goals:

1) Cristiano - 450
    2) Benz - 324
    3) Raul - 323
    4) Di Stefano - 308
    5) Santillana - 290

What an absolute icon. Will likely end up on or above 385 goals and closer to 400 at this rate, and will likely overtake Marcelo. Mental.

Let’s add another Liga title this season!

Deep Pal, temesgen, HZinho and 3 others repped this.
  21. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

Deep Pal, Shay Z, Anon. and 2 others repped this.
  22. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    he must obviously not know about Harry Kane, whom Benzema finally reached last year

Deep Pal, Shay Z, Digital and 5 others repped this.
  23. Aensensen

Aensensen Member+

Jun 10, 2011
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kane must be furious for having a scrub like Benz mentioned in the same breath as him.

In all seriousness, I think a prerequisite to being an EPL pundit is some history of mental illness. The levels of delusion and detachment from reality challenge those of torture victims. It's like you've entered a psych ward where every patient believes they're a fleet admiral and the pidgeons are enemy aircraft, dropping (poop) bombs on them.

Bad analogy, but you'll have to forgive me. Insomnia is hitting hard lately.

Raumdeuter, J-Mezzy and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  24. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    1557818545710538754 is not a valid tweet id

Deep Pal, Doni, Digital and 1 other person repped this.
  25. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He has really had the perfect season. Stats? Top scorer in La Liga and the CL. Trophies? Won them all. Big game moments? 10 goals in CL knockout rounds, plus Classico and Atletico/Sevilla goals. Impact on team? Nothing needs to be said here, we lost 4-0 to Barcelona without him, and that away game to PSG was as bad as Ive ever seen us play. He even had show off moments like the panenka against City.

ahnaf, Deep Pal, Shay Z and 4 others repped this.