How would you fix United this offseason?

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by shawn12011, Aug 26, 2002.

1. 1crewman

1crewman New Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio

How about Dante Washington And Chad McArty for Eddie Pope and Milton Reyes Fixes your problem and fixes ours

2. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Uhhh, our problem isn't having too much talent on the back line, it's just finishing. Seriously, why not offer Denton to San Jose for Donovan ... your suggestion is just a weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee off base.

Milton Reyes is by far the best wingback in MLS, and is exponentially better than people like Ezra Hendrickson, Mike Clark or Ryan Suarez who are all-stars. And Eddie pope is at least as good as any non-organizing central defender in MLS. Do you really think Dante Washington is worth either of them ... much less both. Throwing in Chad McCarty isn't even funny.

If you're in a trading mood and want to make outlandish trades, how about this one ... Henry Zambrano and Richie Williams for Buddle and Maisoneuve ... Williams solves your Dmid problem and Zambrano allows you to play McBride ... yeah I know, totally lopsided trade, but after your offer I figured you were into those.

-Tron

3. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Ludicrous Lineup ... just for fun!

While I'm in the "absolutely crazy trade ideas" mood, how about this one. Jaime Moreno and the 1st pick in the SuperDraft for Simon Elliott.

Why would LA do this you ask. Well, if the Galaxy are successful in luring Hong Myong-Bo to LA, they'll need salary cap room. That means they cannot get another striker to pair with Ruiz without parting with a high salary guy.

What type of player would work best with Ruiz? A fast creative attacking player that can hold the ball in midfield and also likes to draw multiple defenders and dish to his strike partner. Also, someone who is enough of a threat to draw defensive attention and create space for Ruiz.

This is exactly what Moreno was. Most of these things he still can do. He can drop into a withdrawn forward role, attacking midfielder role, or slide up either wing attacking.

It would give the Galaxy Cobi on one side and Moreno on the other breaking down the defense and creating opportunities for Ruiz. All three would score. Then the three midfielders could be Vagenas in the middle and Victorine and Albright on the wings. That gives them the size that Sigi covets as well as the service supporting the forwards. Albright also plays decent defense, and Vagenas is an excellent 2-way Dmid. Ochoa (and eventually Guillermo "Memo" Gonzalez assuming he signs with MLS and ends up at the Galaxy with the first pick) could be substitutes.

Memo is going to be a star. He's a left footed attacking player from southern California, has mexican heritage, is cap-tied to the US, and is currently the goto man for the US U-17's. But, he's had good trials with several big-time Euro clubs and may end up at Bayern Munich, Middlsboro or even Manchester United rather than MLS. If he signs with MLS, he may not last until the Galaxy's first pick, #10 overall.

So, there might be a chance that United could snag Simon Elliott and unite the two Kiwis. Elliott would be exactly what Hudson wants, a great defender with sublime passing skills (he's the central playmaking attacking midfielder for the Kiwis) who is also a team leader type. He knows how to shoot, play balls to people's feet, into space, or to their heads. He's equally skilled with any surface of either foot, plays excellent defense, and is rarely caught out of position.

United could pair him with Reyes (man marking) in defensive midfield, allowing Prideaux, Nelsen and Pope to man the back line.

Currently United only has 2 SI's, Moreno and Nelsen. This would exchange an SI for another SI still leaving us with one open SI spot to fill. If Etch is let go to find greener pastures, then Hudson could use that salary cap slot to find a true spearhead forward, such as Tyson Nunez.

I know it's a pipe dream, but imagine this lineup:

-----------Nunez----------Santino------------

------------------Convey---------------------
    Mapp------------------------------------Olsen
    -----------Elliott-----------Reyes-------------

-------Prideaux-----Nelsen-----Pope----------

--------------------Rimando------------------

Oh well, it's fun to dream. :)

-Tron

4. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Uh, actually it exacerbates your problem--in a big way. You'd probably have to cut Cunningham or McBride outright in order to do this deal.

You see, combined salary for Pope and Reyes is double what the combined salary for Washington and McCarty is. So, if we did this deal (and we wouldn't deal Reyes b/c he's pretty cheap for his quality, unique in his skills for a right back, and also has a green card), it would get us under the cap (though not by much) and just make your cap problems even greater.

5. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Translated 2-4 = -2 (For DC United)

6. 1crewman

1crewman New Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    Well,
    I really doubt that McBride will be back for 2003, so I was going off the assumption that we will have that cap room. I think that it makes sense, but I know that is was a little less favorable for you.....

But I like Dante Washington straight up for Eddie Pope or Milton Reyes.

Actually I think United is one player away from being a contender again and I think Convey will have a huge role in your resurgence but I think you need a big powerful Forward to compliment him and the other finesse forwards that you have, so thats why I think an attacker for a defender makes sense for both.

.....AND the MCARTY part was a joke

7. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Nah, we're not one player away from being a contender. Plus, even if McBride leaves, to add a maximum salary player means you're over the cap again.

Also, MLS is asking for high payments in transfers and the transfer market is depressed. Thus, I find it highly unlikely there are going to be many sales of MLS players overseas this offseason. Only the guys who have expired contracts are likely to make the jump.

8. 1crewman

1crewman New Member

Aug 3, 2002
    Columbus, Ohio
    You are probably right JoeW, about our cap problems anyway, and since there is no way that McBride gets traded within the league, and with the salaries of Cunningham and prbobable renegotiations of Buddle, Busch, and Martino, we would in alll likelihood have to lose both McBride to Europe and cut or trade John Wilmar Perez to free up enough room.

But, how can you not think that you are within striking distance of challenging for the cup again, With a great defense, coupled with the 2 Q's, and Bobby Convey, I just think one more proven striker and you have a well rounded team, and ya just gotta love Marco

9. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    You forgot OLSEN!!!

:)

10. JoeW

JoeW New Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Well, first we need to define what me mean by "striking distance of the Cup". By that, I'd mean one of the 2-4 best teams in the league, home field advantage in the playoffs (for most of it anyway).

We're talking about a team that had 1 win on the road this year. Any cup title isn't going to involve lots of road matches and if you can't get points on the road, you can forget being within striking distance. We're also talking about a team that almost set an MLS record for fewest goals scored. Let's assume Moreno is healthy and in-form (to big assumptions). He doesn't add 20 goals (which would still put us in the middle of the pack offensively.

Nah, we're not within striking distance of the cup. Some nice talent and technical ability on this team. Lots of heart. But we desperately need a finisher. To get one we're likely to have to cut either or attacking mid (Etcheverry) or best creative forward (Moreno) which then creates another hole.

Maybe this team will contend for the Cup next year. But it won't do it by adding only 1 player (unless the league suddenly acquires Heskey or VonHoijdonk or Nistelroy or Ronaldo or Vieri and then gives him to United). We're going to have to ditch 2-3 maximum salary players (and about 3-5 others) and add serious talent at 2-3 spots (in part to replace the guys we need to cut).