How vocal should coaches be (during games)?

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by NewDadaCoach, Feb 18, 2020.

1. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I would put this in the coaches forum but I want to know not just what coaches think, but also what soccer parents think as I'm sure the parents have witnessed many different coaching vocal variations and have opinions on this.

When coaching for the first time last year I had to think about this as I was figuring out the best approach to coaching the littles. My personal style is somewhat laid back. I would say that I was "slightly vocal" if I had to label it. During the games I, for the most part, would let things unfold naturally; I wanted to see what the players did in their own right... how they handled situations. I wanted them to think for themselves and problem-solve. But there was a game where this coach was hyper vocal. He talked constantly (and I mean constantly) to his players and told them exactly what to do, exactly where to go. He would run around the entire field, and not just vocally but with hand and arm movements motion his players. It felt extreme... it even felt like they were cheating in someway... like its not fair for an adult to instruct 5 year olds on exactly what to do unless both teams are doing that... BUT... it got me thinking... maybe that's not a bad approach as with little kids sometimes you have to repeat yourself for them to hear you. If you "over-vocalize" then they will be more likely to pick up on what your saying.

Is there an optimal amount of vocalization by age group or is it completely personal preference and non-consequential?

2. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    47.3%

While I agree U-Little's need more direct instruction than a HS player in the middle of a game, there's also nothing wrong with not giving instruction.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  3. Longtucky

Longtucky New Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Feb 17, 2020
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I seem to be replying to you a lot!

At the u-little age groups I think vocalizing is inconsequential. Most of your words should be encouragement and not instructional in nature. I think it’s fine to encourage as much as possible and to praise good ideas, good moves, and hard work. As you coach older and older ages you can, and will, start using instructional language more and more alongside the positive reinforcement.

Anecdotally speaking, in the USA I find American coaches tend to vocalize less than foreign coaches. I don’t think either tactic is right or wrong. I will coach in the game a ton of i feel the team needs it, but if we are cruising I might be mostly silent and only offer up a suggestion here and there in the moment and provide reactionary positive reinforcement.

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  4. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At the U-little age, I doubt they're processing much beyond general tone anyway. A little bit of encouragement likely goes a long way.

ytrs, mwulf67 and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  5. Backyard Bombardier

Manchester United
    United States
    Jun 25, 2019
    There is an inverse relationship between the amount of yelling the coach does and the amount of instruction the players hear.

bigredfutbol and mwulf67 repped this.
  6. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Based on my own limited experience when they're younger (6-9 years old and here and there with older kids in futsal, ...):
    -- Younger kids seldom hear much of what you're shouting from the sideline, and if you keep going until you get their attention, they tend to look over at you right about the time the ball or the opposition is coming their way.
    -- A guy I coached with for a couple of years was very vocal from the sidelines, instructing in minute detail about where he wanted kids to be, when he wanted them to run, when he wanted them to pass, ... Watching his own kids -- who are good athletes and smart kids, and were the exceptions in that they did listen to just about every word -- play as they got older, it became clear that they never learned to make their own decisions on the field. One, as a 12- or 13-year-old, would literally receive a pass and look to the sideline for instructions.

For me, as players get older, limited instruction when they're badly out of position (back line loses connection and a CB drifts too deep, ...) or a player needs to be reminded to keep their head, ..., seems to be effective. But otherwise, the best coaches I've watched do the bulk of their game-day instruction when kids are off the field.

NewDadaCoach, bigredfutbol and CoachP365 repped this.
  7. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    This is a key point. I have been wondering about this exact thing. It's like there is a psychological effect where the player grows dependent on the coach and less independent. I think I know what to look for now in a coach (or how I want to coach). thx for the insights

Cantona's Eyebrow and bigredfutbol repped this.
  8. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    My experience so far is the better and more qualified the coach the less they speak during matches. They may offer up reminders such as "check your shoulder" or "what do you see" but that is really it.

The lower level coaches, or parents who coach typically do not STFU during the game, trying to control every aspect of the kids they are coaching. They also tend to be the ones who berate the kids for every little mistake they make.

IMO the more experienced coaches have either played at a high level or watch the game and are students of the game. They know how difficult the game is and understand that even the best players in the world make silly mistakes throughout a match. I dont think parent coaches grasp those concepts and tend to overcompensate for their lack of knowledge by screaming. They must think it shows how passionate and knowledegable they are.

CoachP365, mwulf67 and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  9. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Could be lack of confidence as well. Scared to make a choice that will be berated (by someone like parent or coach).

bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  10. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    Personally, I think it's due more to poor coaching education or lack of self-control.

CoachP365 repped this.
  11. ctsoccer13

ctsoccer13 Member+

Mar 25, 2002
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I took over a u13 team and quickly learned they had been coached by a very vocal coach. They told me that they "didn't like" that I didn't tell them what to do during a game. So for one game i was very vocal and then as the practices/games/scrimmages and season progressed I toned it down each time (pretty quickly actually). By the end I would say I was "selectively vocal". There were times when they did need instruction while on the field. You can't expect every person/player to be able to resolve the on-field issues the same. Some need to be told right there and then because you know they can't figure it out. Some get it and can figure out the changes to be made. I will say that I always addressed the players when I took them off the field about what they could do. I still see kids at every game and practice that after the ball leaves their feet they immediately look over at their coach or parent(s) for some indication of whether they did the right thing or screwed up. It's horrible. u17 game and I was coaching and I told the girls on the sideline what was going to happen the next time the ball came up the field on our side. Sure enough, the other team did exactly what I said. The bench stared at me like I was some sort of mind reader. They didn't observe the tendencies and what the players (ours and theirs) did all the time. So I coached them on it and pulled over our left middie and told her what to do the next time the ball came her way. She most likely would've been beat over and over again if I hadn't said anything. And if I didn't coach her right there and then, and waited til after the game, the coaching moment would've been lost. She never would've been able to put that into real game experience when we could predict it was going to happen. Now the teams I coach can see the angst in my face whenever we play against a team whose coach is screaming on the sideline.

ytrs, bigredfutbol and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  12. jmnva

jmnva Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    I'd suggest that level of vocalization is directly in inverse proportion to experience and ability.

The 1st time I coached U-littles I was way, way more vocal than I am now. With my U6/U7s I'm on the field but I limit my comments to telling them nice things about what they've done.

I really don't think you need to yell "SHOOT" when a kids is 6 feet from the goal.

With my older teams, I am fairly quiet with the occasional repositioning of players but that is probably someplace less than 3 times per game

ytrs and NewDadaCoach repped this.
  13. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    They have to learn to make decisions with no thinking at all...any reliance on verbal instruction will hinder the player in the long run.

If a coach had 2-3 one word reminders to toss out while waiting for a restart, such as “spacing”; “wide”, “talk” etc that would be sufficient to bring young minds back to something they have learned in training.

At some point in time the only thing that may separate two players is a half-step or half-second...players who grow up listening to people tell them what to do will be at risk of being the player who is the half-second slower.

14. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    As I think I said upthread, this isn't really isolated to soccer. DS played on his MS basketball team. There was one player a year younger than him, who was actually a very good player, one of probably the top two. But every time he fouled someone, or missed a shot (even a FT), made a bad pass, whatever, he'd look over to his dad (in the stands, not the coach) for his reaction.

jmnva and bigredfutbol repped this.
  15. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    If anybody wants to verify the impact of verbal assistance not helping...go to a little league game, wait until there is a runner on first and a ground ball is hit to third...as everyone screams to throw the ball to second for the force play the ball will roll under the glove and into left field. It is hard enough to field a ball at age 8 much less trying to do it with 30 people screaming at you.

The same parent that likely chastises their kids for interrupting them thinks nothing of constantly “helping” them while the player should be “uninterrupted”.

But, my all time favorite was a goal kick floating out to a player alone in space...the player is waiting for the ball as their mom yells “here it comes” three times. If your kid can’t recognize the ball is coming then you have bigger problems than soccer

CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  16. CornfieldSoccer

Aug 22, 2013
    Further confirmation that yelling from the bench does little if any good. Another dad and I coached a team of high school freshmen in a 4v4 futsal tournament this weekend, and we could barely get their attention, yelling at the top of our lungs, to sub off when we needed them to, much less anything else.

The idea about one-word or very limited instruction above, I think, is about all you can do. "Player name, drop" or "So and so, off," "Player X, on your right" is about all you can make happen. And a limited number of times at that.

bigredfutbol repped this.
  17. sam_gordon

sam_gordon Member+

Feb 27, 2017
    Just for the flip side of the coin, and not advocating for always yelling... DS was playing in an indoor league this past winter. He collected the ball and started upfield. He got to about midfield and I noticed the keeper was coming WAY up. I simply yelled "Keeper's Out". DS looked, saw how high the keeper was and chipped him for the goal.

After the game he told me he was going to give me the assist. :)

bigredfutbol repped this.
  18. jvgnj

jvgnj Member

Apr 22, 2015
    Shouting instructions is often counterproductive but how vocal a coach should be on the sideline also depends on the coach's personality. There's a difference between trying to micro manage play and being enthusiastic and encouraging. If the coach is a naturally animated person, the stoic, silent approach isn't going to work. Similarly, if the coach is a naturally reserved person, you can't expect them to flip a switch and turn up the volume.

bigredfutbol and CornfieldSoccer repped this.
  19. Terrier1966

Terrier1966 Member

Nov 19, 2016
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Forgive me, I’m not trying to have a dispute with you but I disagree...it’s not about the coach...it’s about the players.

A coach should be able to modify their approach to benefit the kids during the live action of a game. Although, that should be a small portion of their total input so they don’t have to completely alter their personality in order to be a coach.

An outgoing coach can encourage a team without providing direction or interfering with their judgment.

I understand some coaches may be in a rec league where there is little to no practice...I would change my answer in that case.

pu.ma repped this.
  20. pu.ma

pu.ma Member

Feb 8, 2018
    It's good to have a player's attention when communicating. It just doesnt work very well when shouting this or that during play. Call the player over if need be.

21. Cantona's Eyebrow

Dirty Leeds
    Togo
    Oct 8, 2018
    For me, it's about getting the balance right.

If you over-coach you remove many of the most valuable learning opportunities for a child as they can't problem solve for themselves. On the flip side, it can be painful to watch a coach remain silent while his team make the same mistakes repeatedly.

My vocal repertoire would be along the lines of:

• Be vocal with encouragement to get the team pumped-up
    • Provide guidance where required if child can't work problem for themselves
    • Be vocal with encouragement if we are struggling and heads go down
    • Be vocal to praise particularly good play
    • Be vocal to stamp out any arguments or disputes between team mates
    • And finally, to reprimand any parent that tries to coach the team from the sideline.
    It's equally important to watch the game develop. If you become too emotionally involved and start shouting at every little thing, it's difficult to see the bigger picture and offer constructive guidance. To properly coach your team you have to watch more than shout.

Main thing is to stay away from wildly shouting out football cliches and platitudes. If there is nothing constructive to say, then study the game.

bigredfutbol and mwulf67 repped this.
  22. ftaok

ftaok New Member

Union
    United States
    Mar 9, 2020
    I've coached rec-soccer for my three kids many times over the years. I've never played soccer at any organized level, so tactically, I'm out of my element. I'm more or a logistics guy when it comes to coaching, although by osmosis, I've learned quite a bit.

When they're younger, I tended to be more vocal while the players were out on the field. Instruction were usually worded as suggestions and reminders. Phrases like "Billy, you're a defender, right?" and "Kelly, keep them in front of you." Stuff like that. Lot's of cheerleading.

What I tried to do was talk to the players when they were on the sideline. I would remind them of a play that worked, or didn't work, in order to explain why. I'd give them suggestions on what to do when faced with that situation in the future. Sometimes they remember, some times they don't. No biggie.

I recall a play this last season on my son's U9/10 team. We had a shoelace stoppage (other team's player) on our throw-in. I quickly pulled my thrower aside and told him to look specifically for our fastest player on the field. We gave the fast kid a signal to sneak behind the defense. Throw goes over everyone's head right onto Fast Kid's foot in stride. Put it in the net for a goal. Goals were very hard to come by for this team, so this was a nice one to have. Still got smoked, but these boys felt great for having a plan go right. Of course they didn't remember to do this the next game, but given enough repetition, all the talking will eventually sink in.

23. ppierce34

ppierce34 Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Everything that is wrong with youth soccer in this paragraph.

24. ftaok

ftaok New Member

Union
    United States
    Mar 9, 2020
    You’re certainly entitled you your opinions and I’m not going to try to change your mind.

just want to add a little more background to the last paragraph. We had a very tough season. Scored very few goals as a team and only had one win. I personally see nothing wrong with presenting some strategy during downtime in the action. Whats wrong with pointing out that an advantage can be gained by having a player position himself behind the defense and having another player throw a high lob over the defense?

Do you take offense that the player receiving the throw in is fast? Or that identified him as our fast player?

I’m not sure how I ruined youth soccer on this play.

25. Hitcat

Hitcat Member

Chicago Fire
    Germany
    Feb 7, 2020
    He's saying you shouldn't be telling a kid to defend, or telling a kid to be in x position. That's "joysticking". Youd be better asking why they were not goal side, what's a better choice. Make them think vs tell them where to be.
    Throwing to the fastest kid is no different than long balling, its trash. It does around u14. Look at u11/u12 and watch those 1st place teams die post u14...for this very reason.