How to watch past matches without spoilers??

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by billward, Apr 23, 2023.

1. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was lazy and didn't sign up for the Apple TV thing until today so I haven't seen any games.
    And I haven't been following the news so I don't know any results!
    Well that is, until I tried watching the first game of the season on the Apple TV and saw the score even though I tried really hard not to focus my eyes on the little box in the thumbnail, when I clicked the game, I saw it.
    Is there any way to access the replays without getting spoilered??

2. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 25, 2014
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There really isn't a way around it from what I see, once the game is archived they show you the score on the thumbnail. Maybe something they can address and fix in the future, but for now, no way around it. I also haven't really searched around to see if theres a way to turn it off though.

@JazzyJ or @Scott Rohde might know.

Scott Rohde repped this.
  3. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    It sounds like you're using an Apple TV. In that case go to the Settings app. From there go to Apps -> TV -> Show Sports Scores and make sure it's set to 'off'.

Kaitlyn repped this.
  4. RocktheCasbah4

Dec 20, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Yes I did this but in order to get to the game you still see videos below which show a highlight of each goal with who scored in which minute. Very annoying.

SoccerMan94043 and SalinasQuakesFan repped this.
  5. nivla

nivla Member+

Jan 17, 2003
    Milpitas
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    No kidding. I once asked my wife to use the Roku remote to navigate to the game I wanted to watch a day later. I provided verbal instructions as I looked away and she carefully asked the questions to confirm if it was the exact video without letting me know Espinoza scored in that game ( because there was a highlight video of his goal in the game).

This is so stupid. If you don't watch the game live or within 3 hours of the initial kick off, you will be subjected to what is described above. The "broadcast" of the game itself typically goes 3 hrs after kick off. Let's say kick off is 7:30pm. It will end 10:30pm. You start watching the game at 10:00pm and it allows you to watch from the beginning, but it will stop and cut off at 10:30pm when the game is on the 30th minute of first half. After 10:30pm, you will go through the "look away and scroll" hell.

6. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca
    Yeah, it’s a dumb interface. On my roku I locate the game I want to watch and then look downwards with the bottom of the screen barely visible in my peripheral vision and just press the down button until it reaches the bottom box. I hold the select button until I see the box change to the 3 option game menu and select the 90 minute game in English. Stupid I have to do that to enjoy watching it.

7. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I was using the web browser interface. I have an older Apple TV device and not sure if that even works with this new service, but I can try it. I can have my partner click on it for me if they're around, but that isn't always an option.

Related question: if I am going to watch only some of the games, can you (without telling me *why* you recommend it) suggest individual games thus far that I should watch? Not just if we won, but maybe a close game we lost, or came from behind to tie, or whatever.

Similarly, any games that I should *not* watch, but maybe should watch the highlight reel?

8. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    There should be a way that users can provide feedback, whether it's via MLS or straight to Apple. Anyone know of a way to do this? There's an AppleTV feedback form but looks like it's catered to the hardware. The score thing should be something that most every fan wants.

https://www.apple.com/feedback/apple-tv/

Kaitlyn repped this.
  9. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    #9 Scott Rohde, Apr 25, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    In general watch the home games, avoid the away games.

I think the away game in Atlanta matches your description of a game you'd want to watch.

I think the home game against Toronto does not match the description of a game you'd want to watch.

10. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
    Oh, the web browser version of Apple TV has no way to turn off sports scores. Neither does the TV app on a Mac computer. As far as I'm aware every other device does have the option including Roku and the Apple TV device, iPhone, and iPad.

11. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually the web version just added the ability to hide scores. Go to https://tv.apple.com/settings and you should see this option at the bottom.

Screenshot 2023-04-25 at 1.31.20 PM.png

12. Scott Rohde

Scott Rohde Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 28, 2018
  13. naopon

naopon Member+

Jan 2, 2007
    California
    Club:
    Kawasaki Frontale
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scott Rohde repped this.
  14. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It still sucks for trying to watch past matches.

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    On the Quakes fan bus to Monterey I met a woman (moat denizen) who ranted about not being able to watch replay of games an Apple TV without learning the score.

16. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am reluctant to admit that my enthusiasm for our team was at an all-time low this year... without Wondo I think is part of the problem. Wondo.jpg

(Picture I took as he was leaving the park after his 4-goal game in 2019)

Anyway, I never watched a single 2023 match! I never even saw a single result from the entire season. I am a Bad Fan. I did see the final conference standings so I know that much :(

Now that it is all over I want to know a few things:
    • What matches were so good I should still try to watch a replay? Any player score 4 goals in a game or anything good like that? [Don't share results if you're recommending I watch!]
    • What news about players, staff, etc. should I have been paying attention to? Is there a season recap or year-in-review article or video that has that kind of information? I don't wanna try to read every thing written about the team all year, but would like to have some of the information I would have naturally gleaned if I had watched the games.
    • Will games be on AppleTV again next year? The main reason I never watched them is that my TiVo didn't record them because of the new TV deal. I'll have to get my act together and learn how to incorporate this into my workflow. I'm probably going to switch to YouTubeTV instead of Comcast soon anyway as I'm going to be getting Sonic in a few months.
    I've been a loyal fan from 2002 until the pandemic hit and I canceled my season tickets. It's a long drive from where I live to the stadium, so I don't know if I"ll ever be a STH again, but I should at least watch the big games on TV at least! Maybe a few of them in person even. But I'm also very COVID-cautious and crowd-averse, but since it's outdoors I don't have much justification really.

Kaitlyn and bsman repped this.
  17. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #17 JazzyJ, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2023
    I think the biggest positive story of the year is that Cristian Espinoza had a monster year. He's always good but this year he took it to an entirely different level. He's always just scored a few goals from run of play a year but this year he scored way more.

As for good matches to watch, off the top of my head I'd recommend the home game against SKC early in the year and the game at Levi's against LAFC.

billward repped this.
  18. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #18 QuakeAttack, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2023
    Well, we had the most XXX during the season (Ok, we XXX even having the most XXX). When we XXX games, it was usually by XXX. The best game to watch was probably the XXX against KC early in the season. One other was the XXX against Seattle. That's it.

You should try to make it to at least one or two games. They has a solid team which is always competitive, but struggles to score. Still fun vibe at the stadium and decently attended.

19. JazzyJ

Jun 25, 2003
    #19 JazzyJ, Nov 29, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2023
    So much for not sharing results :-(.

20. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Us (current and former) moat dwellers are smart.

21. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I SAID DO NOT POST SPOILERS DAMMIT

22. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You literally ruined the one chance I had of getting enjoyment from this season @QuakeAttack ...

23. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I attempted to remove the results, but the cat's kind of out of the barn now.

24. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My deepest apologies. I can make excuses about reading too fast will taking a break at work, but it's inexcusable. Once again, my apologies.

25. billward

billward Member

Oct 22, 2002
    El Cerrito, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in the email notification which you can't change