How to recruit new referees?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by ptref, Jul 12, 2019.

1. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here in Kentucky, we are quickly approaching the beginning of our boys and girls high school soccer season (season starts Aug 12). Like many areas, we are experiencing low numbers. What are some things that are done where you live to help recruit new referees for high school soccer?

2. Kit

Kit Member+

Aug 30, 1999
    Herkimer, NY, USA
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you talked to people who are USSF referees but not high school referees?

3. gaolin

gaolin Member+

Apr 21, 2019
    Have posters around, having a little meet’n’greet session with the players after their last match of the season and give the opportunity to learn of the alternative.

Growing up in Ohio, all I saw were older gents doing refs so I figured that reffing was some kind of job that you had to build up to. I didn’t realize it was something I could do, even at age 15, with a class and some hours of learning.

I never saw a flier or heard of any refereeing initiatives. Maybe it’s was just my area of Ohio (near Dayton) and maybe things changed now, but if i knew what i knew now, I would have signed up!

dadman repped this.
  4. DefRef

DefRef Member

Jul 3, 2017
    Storrs CT
    In eastern CT, the requirements to be a HS ref are 1) out of HS 2) can be there at 3:30. Helpful if you can blow a whistle and walk/run at same time, but.............we got a JV game for you

I know the current HS assignor reaches out to area youth assignors like me to try to recruit refs who are graduating HS and staying in the area. He has also put ads in the paper. He holds several meet and greets every summer with prospective refs to get them up to speed.

Another great source is the local colleges. Kids who reffed in their home towns come in and have no clue about the local reffing scene. If you can find them and they are willing to work, they are often excellent refs.

dadman and voiceoflg repped this.
  5. socal lurker

socal lurker Member+

May 30, 2009
    I don't do HS--in significant part because it is unrealistic for me to get to game times. When my daughter played HS JV for a small girl's school in Southern California, I was intrigued by the refs they got--they got a few really good refs. And some, well, they had a pulse and could blow a whistle (I've mentioned the dual ref who stood a yard onto the field next to the goal post on a PK on here before . . .)

But I think that is one of the biggest challenges--finding people who can make the schedule work.

dadman, voiceoflg and djmtxref repped this.
  6. djmtxref

djmtxref Member

Apr 8, 2013
    The problem we have with college kids is that they invariably end up with a 4:00 class. That means they can only work varsity games locally. Two thirds of our games are an hour away from where most refs live.

We always tell them to leave Tuesday and Friday afternoons open, but they seem to think college comes first.

7. RefGil

RefGil Member

Dec 10, 2010
    He recruits young referees by putting an ad in the paper? Jumpin catfish, what's a paper?

We talk to refs that are doing USSF games and inquire whether they'd be interested in doing HS.

Obviously, 4:00 starts for JV/Freshman/MS games means that we get to use retirees, the unemployed, college students, and people with flexible schedules for those games. Even 5:30 starts can be dicey for many potential refs. I try to convince ADs to do 5:30/7:00 double headers, but you know, they'd rather go home at 7:30 than 9:30...

voiceoflg and IASocFan repped this.
  8. ptref

ptref Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Aug 5, 2015
    Bowling Green, KY
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the ideas. We are already doing some of those things. I think part of our problem is that the season starts so early in August. The local university does not start until 2 weeks later, so it's hard to get college kids when the season is already 1/4 complete before they even get to town. We have had good luck so far getting people that work USSF only to pick up high school as well. Timing usually isn't an issue. Most of our games are 5:30/7:00 double headers. We cover 13 schools total, but most are within a 30-40 drive of our major population base.