How to Rebuild Conmebol

Discussion in 'CONMEBOL' started by flaviense, Jul 7, 2018.

1. LordofBrewtown

Wigan Athletic
    United States
    Nov 19, 2018
    This is not correct. FIFA does not consider these friendlies for rankings. They will affect rankings. And that is ultimately my concern that I don't think is being taken nearly seriously enough, since those rankings will affect seedings/pots for world cup selections, which can greatly impact the likelihood of being placed in a 'group of death'. And the cumulative results of a region can 'snowball'/create a sustained downturn. Or improvement - I acknowledge that's also a possibility - I just don't think it's nearly as likely without true home games.

2. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    For C'BOL team these are friendlies. UEFA NL is a part of EURO CUP qualification so for UEFA teams I get they aren't friendlies but how can they be anything else for C'BOL teams?! Unless, they serve as Copa America qualifiers which would be weird.

But lest assume you are correct and they are more than Friendlies for C'BOL teams. If this is the case C'BOL must join UEFA NL ASAP. C'BOL team would have extra high point games while the rest of the world won't have the same opportunity. Doubt FIFA will credit these points but I do hope you are right. C'BOL will get plenty of extra points = more seeded teams at the WC.

3. Hexa

Hexa Member+

May 21, 2010
    Club:
    Vasco da Gama Rio Janeiro
    The multipliers:

1. Multiplying factors for various competitions: The importance of the match will affect the points awarded to the teams, so that the sum of points granted through the first three rules mentioned above, will be multiplied by the following factors:
      1. Friendly matches: x1.00
      2. Qualifier for Continental championship: x1.10
      3. Qualifier for World Cup: x1.25
      4. Finals of Continental championship: x1.25
      5. Finals of World Cup: x1.50

If by joining UEFA's NL C'BOL teams gets to earn "Qualifier for Continental championship: x1.10" multipliers twice. That would be a fantastic deal. Please sign us up.

Unfortunately, I doubt FIFA will reward C'BOL's teams wins at UEFA's NL as a qualifiers for continental champ. It does raises the question on how to deal with a EURO team win vs C'BOL if NL is used for their Continental champ! Not sure how this will be resolved (same game but uneven multipliers?!).

Being only a 10 members confederation we don't have a qualifier. So I don't know how this will work. I don't think it will be an issue. Even if FIFA treats NL as a 1.1 game I think most of the ranking comes from WCQ, Copa America, and WC games. As I said, I do expect C'BOL teams to get better vs the world due to NL participation so I think it will be a net gain.

4. Blondo

Blondo Member+

Sep 21, 2013
    https://thetimeshub.in/two-groups-a...w-format-for-south-american-qualifiers/15758/

Nat L.JPG

- Movistar Deportes

Is that a reliable outlet?
    Nat. L. = Nations League (joining up with UEFA)?

If so, it's 6 matchdays, enough for a (Nation's) League phase with groups of 4 teams each. Plenty of dates left for friendlies. With the Copa América now aligned with the EUROs (every 4 years) and shortened qualis CONMEBOL teams do have a lot of matchdays to play with; could easily make a joint NL with 10 matchdays in the group phase work.

Paul Calixte repped this.
  5. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's humo, the same as what you get from Hernán Pereyra and José del Valle over on ESPN Deportes' Jorge Ramos y su Banda. Every once in a while their sources get it right, but I wouldn't lend them any preemptive credence.

If I'm not mistaken, Conmebol have already signed contracts for their next WCQ league; if so, a format change means they'll either have to pay indemnities or come up with some way to gin up 18 matchdays (please, no more spamming the Copa América).

I should note that yes, the "NL" reference is to the proposed collaboration with UEFA... but that assumes FIFA signing off on it, and even that the calendar post-2024 will continue with the same windows as now, as opposed to Wenger's proposal for reorganizing the 8 in-season FIFA matchdays into one or two windows.

But the biggest bone of contention has to be:

Any of you that hate Nations League should be livid over these literally pointless games, presumably labeled as WCQ even though the qualifying bit is over :rolleyes:

Blondo repped this.
  6. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OTOH, cross-group play in WCQ sounds feasible - Conmebol won't be the only one needing this innovation (it's the only way Concacaf can realistically keep the USA-Mexico WCQ going for the 2030 cycle on), and Infantino has made clear that he's not married to traditionalism. See: FIFA signing off on Concacaf's original WCQ format.