How to Play the 1st leg away?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Excape Goat, Dec 14, 2005.

1. Excape Goat

Excape Goat Member+

Mar 18, 1999
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If both sides are evenly matched.....

How would you play the 1st leg if you are the away team?

A) Go for the away goal.

B) Defend as much as possibe and try to win it at home.

c) Depend on the situation.

2. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally I would prefer to be at home in the 1st leg, but anyhoo...

go for the scoring draw. 0-0 home and 1-1 away. or in this case 1-1 away, 0-0 home. risky, but works.

btw, i mean this only in very tough matchups. if the opponent is ez, no reason not to try to score at home. always go for the away goal though.

3. RosemountMagic

RosemountMagic New Member

Dec 10, 2005
    Greyabbey
    I'd say that in a match where the two teams have a gulf in class, Example - Barca vs. Bolton, Then Barca would be safe playing their normal game in both legs, whereas Bolton would have to keep it very tight in a first leg away and hope to nick an away goal. Or a score draw.

However if the teams are well matched then I'd be of the opinion that a first leg away is a slight advantage. Keeping it realy tight in the first leg, getting a scoreless or a score draw, gives you the chance to take the team back to your ground, where i'd say keeping it tight for the first 20 minutes then starting to attack more in the second half would be a good tactic.

Two legged matches between well matched teams will always be tight, i just think that the second leg at home would be a slight advantage.