How to apply to become a moderator?

Discussion in 'Customer Service' started by FNU, May 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FNU

FNU BigSoccer Yellow Card

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    What's the procedure?

2. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is a specific way, and I'll let a SM take that route. But seeing your recent posting history and more importanly you join date, I'm curious as to why you want to become a moderator...

3. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I feel as though other groups of Europeans are under-represented in the UEFA forum. There are too many from England, and none from anywhere else. Recently they said people couldn't speak in any other language than English, I also got an infraction for speaking in Italian. If they want someone to control what is said in other languages, then the mods should be able to speak those languages instead of oppressing people's rights to speak in whatever language they want. BS should encourage participation, but those mods want to limit and deter a liberal forum.

4. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    You PM Dark Kniight.

As I told you yesterday the language issue was a mistake and is being dealt with. We are always looking for (a) more euro mods and (b) mroe native language mods.

MORE MODS
    =================
    1) We urge all members of the community to nominate members from within their forum to be Mods. The application is simple and should be PM'd to Huss as well as each of the forum's existing moderators. It will then be reviewed by the SuperMods and Admins.

Screen Name
    Real Name
    Why you want to mod
    What you feel a Mods role should be
    What you feel your contribution to BigSoccer has been

5. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    I might of missed your message from my inbox being full. I honestly think that that forum needs an overhaul. Once again I get an infraction for speaking my mind here:
    https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?t=530829&page=4
    And I'm the constant target of those mods because I don't agree with their views.

6. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    I think the goal of having a more varied selection of moderators is a sound one. But, quite honestly, based on your recent posting history you're the last person that should be a moderator, imo.

7. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I don't think the Mods are unhappy with you because of your views. I think it might have something to do with your complete and total dismissal of everyone else's views and the constant leading of threads down the wrong road.

8. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's no secret that, as currently constructed, the number of mods from England vs. the percentage of posters from England is one of bigsoccer's biggest problems.

9. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    It's only a problem is they don't moderate competently. Personally I'm more concerned about someone like Dark Knight, who does a terrible job of moderating YA. I do agree, though, that more diversity of moderators is a good idea.

10. Huss

Huss Member

Aug 1, 1995
    New York, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Well volunteer and/or recommend folks.

11. Prawn Sandwich

Oct 1, 2003
    Bhutan
    How about Iranian Monitor as mod of the Israel forum? That would fit the diverse requirement :p

12. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yea, because I don't agree that England is the best at everything.:rolleyes: There's no such thing as differing views in that forum when my posts get deleted and I get warned for going against the grain, and you and M should talk. Then I see jokes cracked about Italian tanks, WW2 and a bunch of stereotypes of Italians, which have ZERO relevance to football. Total double standard in there. I'm starting to think you're both one in the same person. Wherever you post, he posts, and vice versa. And you two just try to wind me up, as lo and behold, here you two are again going against me. I never said I want to become the mod of that forum, but diversity would be nice. According to guidelines, the forums should be free flowing, not restrictive as they've become. So if you're going to let some jokes and stereotypes slip, I think my differing opinions should too. And once again, today I get some warning from a super mod I've never seen telling me that if I don't agree with what the mod is doing or how they're handling things, I need to report that to him so her can BAN ME from the forum...right. How backwards is that?

13. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If there's going to exist a UEFA/Europe forum, it's only fair that the mods are diverse. That is all.

14. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    And I agree. What I don't agree is that you are suitable person to be a moderator. That's not winding you up, it's making a judgment on your posting history of the last few weeks that is there for all to see.

15. FNU

Mar 6, 2007
    Monte Vesuvio
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Where do you see me nominating myself in this thread? And why am I not a suitable person, because I don't agree with you 90% of the time and don't like the EPL or whatever team you like? Because I don't agree with how things are going in that forum? Because I'm Italian? Which is it?

16. M

M Member+

Feb 18, 2000
    Via Ventisette
    Where's the "none of the above" option? I have already explained why.

Premiership team? lol.

17. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Huss, are you suggesting we stop bitching and take ownership of the problem? What are you, some kind of communist? :D

I will say, I think that there should be no more than one person of a given nationality in the "international" forums.

Yeah, WR really sucks. Everyone comments about how it's gone downhill in the last couple of years. :)

I almost put something like, c'mere M, c'mere, in white font.

18. ToonUSA

ToonUSA New Member

Jan 11, 2005
    I certainly don't think England is the best at everything, and off the top of my head dental health is a big one. :D

Your posts get deleted for profanity, personal attacks, and the like. Talk to Prawn if you have an issue. And there are no stereotypes of Italians just facts being portrayed in there.

M completes me.

Yea, and when you don't get the answers you like you stop the forum from being free flowing. You throw a fit, personal attack posters, and refuse to acknowledge facts or reasoning. AKA you are adding nothing to the forum at that point. I don't want to speak for the Super Mod but they most likely were offering to turn your access off to avoid this problem, you should maybe consider it.

19. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
  20. white riot

white riot Member+

England
    Apr 27, 2005
    Southampton, England
    Club:
    Southampton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Not in this thread admitedly.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11472460&postcount=42

Does the UEFA forum really need a non English speaking mod? And if so why would it be an Italian speaker?

21. Skizz

Skizz Guest

For me this is an English speaking forum, and to have some people speaking Italian, some French, some German etc. is demeaning to those posters who can't understand what other people are saying. Just my take on it.

22. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    I dont see a problem when people speak Spanish on the spanish forums, as long as there is a mod who speaks it.

23. Skizz

Skizz Guest

Oh yeah, I wasn't necessarily referring to country-specific forums, and that's cool as long as a mod's there to check out what's going on. Obviously a higher percentage of people on the Spanish forums will understand Spanish so it makes sense there, but say in the Tottenham forums it may well make less sense for two people to talk to one another in Spanish when the general consensus is that English is the chosen language of the forum.

24. Prenn

Prenn Member

Apr 14, 2000
    Ireland
    Club:
    Bolton Wanderers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Glad I'm not alone in that thinking.

25. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    Agreed. Speaking Spanish in a non Spanish forum is simply silly and is not to be allowed. I thought you meant that no foreign languages are to be spoken anywhere on the site since the site is English, obviously thats not what you meant.