How to add the word "golazo" to the American lexicon

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by TOTC, Oct 13, 2003.

1. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    Use it more!

http://www.socceramerica.com/article.asp?Art_ID=562133811

In our sports culture, we have different names for the same kind of sporting effort.

In basketball, a good scoring play is a jumpshot or layup, and a very good scoring play is the "slam dunk," or any of the names Darryl Dawkins used for his dunks.

Soccer? We Americans need to describe a very good goal a "golazo." I mean, some journalists use the term "golazo olimpico" for a goal scored directly from a corner kick, but that's rare in this country.

Naturally, that sets off a debate on what kinds of goals merit the term "golazo." For Pablo Ramirez, it seems kind of random. The Woly goal mentioned in the Soccer America article is a true "golazo."

2. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Two ideas:

1) have a character on the Sopranos say it several times over the course of a season. "That was a Golazo. You really whacked that m --- r, Tony!"

2) To introduce it to the young of Suburban America, work it into hip-hop lyrics. I need help on this one, though.

3. jamison

jamison Member

Sep 25, 2000
    NYC
    This is a new way to get posters to pick on each other for being conmebol crotchsniffers the way "kit","pitch", and "fixture" work for the current anglophile radar detectors.

I don't think you can force something into the american soccer lexicon, it just has to develop.

Exhibit A.Phillips USA Goal chant.

4. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    It wasn't a chant. It was a really dumb jingle.