How time flys by

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by btharner, Oct 24, 2010.

1. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    The 240 episode saga known as the MLS regular season has just finished and I'm sitting there tonight watching Dallas-LA on the TV and thinking where did the time go. Remember seven months ago with all the uncertainty about the CBA and people wondering if the Red Bulls had made yet another disastrous choice about their coaching position and many wondering if David Beckham would actually suit up for the Galaxy this season after his injury. Who would have thought back in March that Rafa Marquez would be in MLS at seasons end, or that Freddy Ljungberg would be playing in Chicago? What a fun ride it has been and it all went by so fast. I realize we still have 11 matches left to crown the 2010 MLS champion, but I felt the timing was right to go on a bit of a nostalgia trip. I'd love to read your reflections on the 2010 season.

2. btharner

btharner Member

Jan 22, 2007
    Selinsgrove, Pa.
    Obviously I'm so caught up in my sentimentality that I can't spell flies properly. I guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself. Just got back from a visit to MLSsoccer.com and I noticed typos like "Dalles" and "EPSN". Even I know how to spell ESPN.

3. HAthemm17

HAthemm17 Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Kingston, Ontario
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Yep. One day I'm waiting for the CBA to be signed and the next day I'm taking pills at dinner.

4. F.C. Lurker

F.C. Lurker New Member

Dec 18, 2009
    USA
    Club:
    AC St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for reminding me about the CBA. How could I forget that? Time flies when you're having fun as they say. This is another one of those years that feels like the league has "turned a corner." Of course, people have been saying that every year since 2002.

5. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To be fair, i just checked scores on my ESPN scorecenter iPad app, and it called the game as Galaxy Vs. Burn. Way to be up to date ESPN.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You must remember this
    A kiss was still a kiss
    A smile was just a smile
    The fundamental things apply
    As time goes by.

7. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think time flew by so much because there was about two months where half of MLS' already meager attention disappeared. People went straight from being relieved about the CBA to getting ready for the World Cup. Then we were on an emotional high for a short period of time from the US then had to recharge before going back to MLS. I don't think I really watched an MLS team play in between sometime in May and LA's second game against Puerto Rico in the Champions League.

This was definitely a fun season. My favorite story lines:
    Earthquakes' revival behind Wondo's Golden Boot; Geovanni sealed it
    Major success in Philly
    Montreal #19
    Addition by subtraction - Ljungberg traded to Chicago
    New York's turnaround, only bolstered by the arrivals of Henry and Marquez
    The Salt Lake swagger
    Andy Najar
    Kansas City's stadium progress
    The maturation of FC Dallas
    A twilight generation of MLSers: Mathis, Lewis, Klein, Brown, McBride, Stammler, Petke, Wolyniec, Moreno, Ralston, etc.
    The next generation: Mwanga, Opara, Ream, Stephens, Najar,
    NUMEROUS academy system changes

Negatives:
    The DC debacle
    Humbled Houston; Cameron's injury
    De Los Cobos knows not how to win in MLS

To me, the season just did not have the excitement that it had in year's past though. Nothing had the impact of Beckham's signings or the intrigue of the bid process for teams 17 & 18. Philly couldn't measure up to Seattle's lofty standards and Henry hasn't caught fire yet.

8. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VastXQ_hPb0"]YouTube - Boyz II Men - It's So Hard To Say Goodbye To Yesterday[/ame]

Ah, remember the eraserhead flat-tops from March? Tear!

Pour some for my fallen homies.