How stupid can Blatter and Platini be?

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Cevno, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    FIFA president Sepp Blatter believes Cristiano Ronaldo should be allowed to leave Manchester United for Real Madrid if he so desires, criticising a trend towards "modern slavery" in football.

The Portugal winger is one of the hottest properties in the sport after a superb season at Old Trafford last term and speculation about a move to the Spanish side has dominated the summer's transfer gossip.

There has been an ongoing war of whispers emanating from both clubs for several weeks and when asked about the protracted wrangle over the 23-year-old's future, Blatter insisted players should be allowed to leave with impunity when they want to move clubs.

'The important thing is, we should also protect the player," he told Sky News.

"If the player wants to play somewhere else, then a solution should be found because if he stays in a club where he does not feel comfortable to play then it's not good for the player and for the club.

'I'm always in favour of protecting the player and if the player, he wants to leave, let him leave."

Blatter believes the issue raises interesting questions about the way transfers and contracts are dealt with in the game.

'I think in football there's too much modern slavery in transferring players or buying players here and there, and putting them somewhere,' he continued.

'We are trying now to intervene in such cases. The reaction to the Bosman law is to make long-lasting contacts in order to keep the players and then if he wants to leave, then there is only one solution, he has to pay his contract."

Blatter went on to dismiss the Premier League's much-criticised '39th step' proposals, insisting plans to play competitive matches overseas - either in the league or domestic cups - was doomed to fail.

He said: "The 39th game as presented will never happen. To my knowledge what they (the Premier League) want to do is perhaps to play some of the League Cup matches somewhere outside of England. That's the last information I got.

'They should just forget about that.'

:mad::mad::mad:

As a black man I find it insulting that the word slavery is tossed around with ease regarding people who get paid millions of pounds a year to kick a round thing. But thats not the point of focus, it is about one footballer and two football clubs.

If Madrid really want the player they should let their money (or lack of it) do the talking. Instead of generating a media driven, UEFA & FIFA endorsed, no end, unsettling pursuit of the player, why don't they just fax United a written formal offer outlining how they intend to acquire the player and with what financial package?

As for Blatter, his comments are unhelpful and ill-advised. There is too much player and agent power these days and it is threatening to undermine the roots of the professional game. What Sepp said was unprofessional.He seems to have an uncanny fascination with matters regarding english, remember the Rio "ooh I forgot" gate or even the taylor tackle.

To be honest I have reached my tipping point, I no longer care whether the boy goes or not BUT were he to go I'll rather prefer to see and hear money talks instead of unprofessional diatribes from supposedly guardians of the beautiful game.

2. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Reading that just makes me angry, but Blatter is a fully payed up member of Real Madrid so its to be expected.

It makes me sad how unprofessionally football is run, i don't know who i hate more Blatter or Platini.

3. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Blatter's a ********ing tool. It's not slavery when you sign a contract of your own will and then the club with which you sign said contract holds you to it when you don't want to honor it any longer.

4. HeartandSoul

HeartandSoul Moderator
    Staff Member

Jan 25, 2007
    The Garden State
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    Blatter states that if a player wants to leave the solution would be that they need to pay their contract.

5. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be all well and good, had he not come out and decried the CAS decision that allowed Andy Webster to invoke Article 17. So at the very least he's an idiot who doesn't remember what he himself said, at the worst he's a flaming hypocrite because it involves a club of which he's an "honorary member". And let's not forget that he and Platini pretty much hate English football already.

6. Kazuma

Kazuma Member+

Chelsea
    Jul 30, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    As soon as I saw that comment, I remember thinking "Wait, he can't be serious." Then I remembered that it's Blatter, and pretty much anything he says sounds like a buzz.

As for Platini, great player but a total tool.

7. geraldine

geraldine New Member

May 17, 2007
    Manchester
    Yes , i totally agree with you guys , what an ass Blattini is ?lol

8. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    There's nothing anyone can do to get him out though, he's too clever and has everybody in his pocket, nobody even dared to stand against him last election because they know they can't win.

9. tigerdave

tigerdave Member

Aug 23, 2004
    Buhl, Idaho
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, everyone except Ronaldo has condemned these latest remarks, from what I've seen. Not that Blatter gives much of a damn about the club game, but I'd figure the only way to get him ousted is pressure from the clubs.

10. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    This sounds awfull but i wouldn't be upset if he passed away peacefully, but Platini is next in line so thats even worse.:(

11. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sexism is nothing new in soccer. Before assuming the FIFA presidency, Sepp Blatter was president of the World Society of Friends of Suspenders, a group of fetishists formed in the 1970’s to protest women wearing pantyhose instead of garter belts and stockings.
    Blatter also inspired controversy in 2004, when he suggested that female soccer players should wear tighter shorts to promote a “more female aesthetic.”

http://www.urlfan.com/local/kansas_...cated_in_sexual_harassment_suit/89445409.html

12. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sepp Blatter the FIFA President: Former president of World Society of Friends of Suspenders, an organisation which tried to stop women from switching frim stockings to tights. Called for female players to wear tighter shorts. Other ideas included: holding the World Cup every 2 years; an end to 'too dangerous' tackling; kick-ins instead of throw ins; quarters instead of halves; and increased the size of the goal by 200 sq inches.

13. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]
    Jean-Marie Weber (left), the man who paid the bribes, with FIFA President Sepp Blatter

Blatter & Havelange named
    in Swiss bribes trial

Tuesday March 11, 2008
    The former CEO of the ISL sports marketing company has implicated Sepp Blatter and Joao Havelange in a £70 million bribery scam involving FIFA’s leaders. Read Andrew Jennings’ report from the Zug courthouse – and find out how the bribes were channeled by bagman Jean-Marie Weber to sports officials.

http://www.transparencyinsport.org/swiss_trial.html

This is from redcafe,thanks to Bahamared

14. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Sport: Football

Timed to perfection

As befits a Swiss citizen who once worked as a senior executive for a firm of watch-makers, Sepp Blatter timed his push for Fifa's top job like clockwork.

Uefa President Lennart Johansson looked certain to be crowned the most powerful man in world football - until Blatter belatedly launched his campaign in March.
    And, after three months of globe-trotting electioneering, Blatter, 62, was rewarded with a surprise victory over the Swedish frontrunner - not bad for a man whose other title is President of the World Society of Friends of Suspenders.
    Blatter, along with 119 other men from 16 countries, formed the society to express their regret at "women replacing suspender belts with pantyhose."
    Away from the realm of ladies' lingerie, Blatter is a Fifa man through and through. He has worked for football's governing body for the last 23 years and has been secretary-general - and out-going president Joao Havelange's right-hand man - since 1981.
    Fifa delegates assumed a vote for Blatter was a vote for the status quo, which partly explains why Johansson was so widely tipped to win their head-to-head.
    The two-way fight became something of a personal dispute, with Blatter claiming last week that a number of influential European federations - including Italy, France and England - had "cleverly put some distance between themselves and Johansson."

The masterstroke in his election came when he enlisted the help of legendary French midfielder Michel Platini, who will work as his director of sport at Fifa.
    The "dream ticket" with Platini proved particularly successful in winning over the support of French-speaking nations, as Blatter began to make inroads into Johansson's lead in Africa and Asia.
    He also proved his credentials for the Fifa presidency by helping transform the organisation into a thrusting money-making machine.
    And he is keen to dispel any allegations of corruption by abandoning the enormous expense account image of old and turning his job into a salaried position. "It's cleaner and clearer," he said. "It's transparent.
    "Fifa is a company. It is an industry. It is a commercial endeavour. It is above all dedicated to those who play football."
    But not all of Blatter's ideas have proved so popular. His plan to replace throw-ins with "kick-in", for instance, was roundly pilloried. And his insistence on tackles from behind being penalised with red cards has been criticised before the World Cup has even begun.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sport/football/109262.stm

15. zippy85

zippy85 Red Card

Jul 4, 2007
    England
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    He's untouchable yet he's was a nobody in football.:(

16. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Wigan chairman Whelan: How stupid is Blatter?
    tribalfooball.com - July 10, 2008

Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has demanded Sepp Blatter step down as FIFA president after his amazing comments about Manchester United's hold on Cristiano Ronaldo.

Whelan said: "The man is a complete idiot. You've got to ask whether Blatter is fit for purpose after what he's said.

"The answer over the years is that he clearly isn't. To even indicate that players are treated like modern-day slaves is outrageous. How stupid can that man be?"

Birmingham chairman David Gold said: "I can't think of anyone who has stayed in such a similar position of power for so long, who has come out with such drivel.

"It's arrogant nonsense and complete and utter rubbish.

"If he was comparing lower league players with slaves - those who are not earning big money - maybe you could see where he was coming from.

"But to use the word in the same breath as Ronaldo, on £120,000 a week, is looking at one side of the coin."

Former Watford, AC Milan and England striker Luther Blissett blasted: "Does he not realise how much offence he is causing by throwing in a word like ‘slavery' in the context of footballers earning millions of pounds a year? It's totally outrageous.

"He obviously does not understand the significance of the term. It's insulting to all the people who have been real slaves through the ages. The guys who would get hung, drawn and quartered or beaten for being slaves rather than paid millions.

"The man doesn't think before he opens his mouth and I'm sure every black player who heard his words will be wondering what planet he's living on. It's just a completely inappropriate comparison to make."

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Blatter is a lot of things. There are a lot of insults I can think of that would be very appropriate to describe him.

'An idiot' is not one of them.

18. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Real Madrid's Calderon grateful to friend Blatter for Ronaldo comments
    tribalfootball.com - July 11, 2008

Real Madrid are ecstatic with FIFA president Sepp Blatter's demands that Manchester United should allow Cristiano Ronaldo to leave Old Trafford.
    AS says Real president Ramon Calderon's phone never stopped buzzing yesterday morning as club powerbrokers and supporters sought his reaction from Blatter's amazing comments.

Blatter is a close friend of Calderon and a supporter of Madrid - and Real directors are convinced his intervention will be the final twist of the arm needed for United to come to the negotiating table.

Indeed, the timing of Blatter's comments have been welcomed by Real's board as they believe the next two weeks will be critical in deciding whether Ronaldo pulls on a white shirt next season.

One AS columnist, Joaquin Maroto, acknowledged that Blatter's statements came from the FIFA president's concerns that the Premiership was hoarding the world's best talent and becoming increasingly dominant in the Champions League.

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=101909

FIFA President named honorary member of Real Madrid
    (FIFA.com) Tuesday 21 November 2006
    Print
    Email to a friend

FIFA President Joseph S. Blatter today received the title of honorary member of Real Madrid and a gold and diamond club badge from Real Madrid president Ramón Calderón at a ceremony held at the Santiago Bernabéu stadium in Madrid.

Shortly afterwards, the two presidents signed a collaboration agreement between world football's governing body and the Real Madrid Foundation to devise and implement strategies to improve the standard of living of children all over the world, particularly in developing countries, through playing football.

"I am proud to receive this important distinction and sign this collaboration agreement with Real Madrid, a club which was a founder member of FIFA in 1904, was declared the Twentieth Century's Best Club in 2000 and was awarded the FIFA Centennial Order of Merit in 2004. I am convinced that together we can make a significant contribution to making the world a better place and, above all, bring joy and hope to young ones through our sport," said the FIFA President.

"The future of our children continues to be a major priority for Real Madrid. It is truly an honour for me to be able to sign an agreement with FIFA that enables us to continue helping underprivileged children. One of my objectives as president was to restore the positive relations that the club has enjoyed historically with sporting bodies. Having President Blatter among us, his accepting the title of honorary member and presenting him with a gold and diamond club badge is a joy for Real Madrid that will live long in the memory," said the president of Real Madrid.

This agreement is part of FIFA's strategy to work in conjunction with clubs to develop social responsibility programmes that help to build a better world through football.

http://www.fifa.com/aboutfifa/federation/releases/newsid=107760.html

Blatter anf fifa are corrupt and anti-english.they cannot stand the domination of english clubs.
    Great site about the corruption in FIFA.

http://www.transparencyinsport.org/index.html

19. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    [​IMG]

From redcafe,with credit to kelvin

20. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    It gets even better.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7501332.stm

Blatter on quotas:

Surely the EU have already highlighted what is illegal - that you cannot prevent someone from playing on the basis of nationaliyy. I'm not sure why he finds this so hard to grasp.

21. lanman

lanman BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 30, 2002
    Probably not given the position he has got himself to, but he has made several idiotic statements and seems to have no problem contradicting himself or failing to grasp simple concepts (see my last post).

22. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Sure, he says things that may sound stupid to us, but I'm sure that whatever comes out of his mouth has a clever and sneaky reason behind it.

23. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    LMA slams Blatter over Ronaldo comments
    tribalfooball.com - July 10, 2008

The League Managers' Association has slammed FIFA president Sepp Blatter over his comments that Manchester United should allow Cristiano Ronaldo to join Real Madrid.

LMA chief executive Richard Bevan told PA Sport: "Sepp Blatter's remarks are extremely ill-considered. There are no benefits to clubs or players in what he said.

"It just confirms he is out of touch with the issues of professional football.

"The transfer system is underwritten and regulated by FIFA. It is the cornerstone of developing talent right up the football pyramid.

"We also have the important issue of sanctity of contract. Ignoring the nonsensical comparison of a player on £120,000 a week to a modern slave, it is a very poor choice of words.

"Sanctity of contracts is fundamental to all commercial and employment relationships in that a contract freely entered into is honoured.

"In sport it is not always the case but Mr Blatter should know better."

The LMA fear there could be long-term global damage in Blatter's outburst.

Bevan said: "If you consider the potential consequences of what he advocates, McDonalds could walk away from their FIFA World Cup sponsorship and might want to play somewhere else."

http://www.tribalfootball.com/article.php?id=101822

24. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Blatter taken to task over 'ludicrous' slavery claim

Sepp Blatter last night stood accused of knowing little about the slave trade and not much more about football after his comments about Manchester United's desire to hold onto Cristiano Ronaldo provoked a furious response. His claim that Ronaldo's treatment at Old Trafford was akin to "modern slavery" prompted leading figures in the game to urge the Fifa President to retract his words. Others, including George Eastham, would be entitled to suggest that Blatter brushed up on his history.

While Blatter's choice of words could not have been more inappropriate in relation to Ronaldo – the Portuguese is believed to earn around £120,000 a week at Old Trafford and has four years remaining on his contract – there was a time, around 45 years ago, when players genuinely were at the mercy of their employers. Eastham, a member of England's 1966 World Cup winning squad, was among them until he challenged the "retain-and-transfer" system in the high court and won.

"It was slavery back then," said Joe Royle, recalling the rules governing transfers when he started his career in the early sixties, a period when clubs could retain a player, often at a reduced wage, and prevent him from signing for anyone else. "If your club wanted you, they had an option to sign you, but you didn't have an option to go where you wanted. If they wanted you to stay they could retain your registration and that's what George Eastham went on strike about all those years ago."

Eastham, who quit football in 1960 after Newcastle refused his requests to join another club, returned to the game the following year, when he signed for Arsenal for £47,000. By then, however, he was committed to improving players' rights – "Our contract could bind us to a club for life. Most people called it the 'slavery contract'," he later said – and, supported by the Professional Footballers' Association, he succeeded in bringing an end to the "retention" aspect of the transfer system.

Since then players have continued to gain the upper hand, no more so than when Jean-Marc Bosman won a landmark case in 1996 which allowed footballers to move freely to another club at the end of their contract. More lucrative salaries, longer contracts and huge signing on fees followed, enabling players to become more powerful, something that seemed to be lost on Blatter as he reflected on Ronaldo's desire to join Real Madrid and expressed his "sympathy" for the player.

Not surprisingly, the Fifa president's remarks were widely condemned. "It just confirms he is out of touch with the issues of professional football," said Richard Bevan, the League Managers' Association chief executive. "Ignoring the nonsensical comparison of a player on £120,000 a week to a modern slave, it is a very poor choice of words. Sanctity of contracts is fundamental to all commercial and employment relationships in that a contract freely entered into is honoured."

Chris Powell, the PFA chairman, claimed Blatter should apologise. "I hope for his sake his words have been taken out of context because to use such an emotive word as slavery and to compare the Ronaldo-Real Madrid-Manchester United saga to slavery is quite ludicrous," he said. "The word has nothing to do with football and for a player to be on a five-year contract and to compare that to slavery is beyond comprehension. I truly hope that Sepp retracts those remarks."

Royle agreed. "He must have a look and see if there has been a redefinition of the word slavery," he added. "Why do players sign contracts? They have to be bound to a contract or we would just have a free for all. Why did Ronaldo sign five years with United? That's not slavery and, if it is, it's self-imposed. Mr Blatter does occasionally come up with stuff which is hard to understand to say the least, but I think he has just about topped the lot here."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/jul/11/manchesterunited.premierleague

25. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I don't see why RM is so happy about this. If it became this easy to break contracts, their team would become ridiculously unstable.