How Smart is Your State?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Oct 11, 2003.

1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    This one's good. A survey says that Mississippians (and other southerners) donate the most money to charitable causes on avg. and surprise, surprise, Mass-holes donate the least. Turns the "smart" list on its head:

http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/09/18/charity.survey.ap/

2. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    That doesn't surprise me one bit. Liberals are always tight with their own money. It's everybody else's they love to spend. Bill Clinton wrote off his dirty underwear on his IRS taxes, for crying out loud.

3. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, first of all, that is NOT NOT NOT what the survey said. The survey is talking about percentages, not raw dollars.

Second, the study explicitly says it only looked at people who itemize their deductions. So right there, you're talking about a subset of each state's population.

Third, I wonder if the difference is that in Massachusetts, people who itemize tend not to go to church, while in Mississippi they do. To me, your basic church contribution is better described as a user fee than charitable giving. If you read the article, the writer touches on these issues. So I suspect that if you agree with me that a basic church contribution isn't really what we mean when we think of charitable giving, the rankings would look very, very, very different.

And fourth...CP, what the hell got into your head that you thought this was appropriate to this thread? Use the friggin' new thread button!!!

Mods, please move this to its own thread. Thanks.

4. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Topper's so right-wing, he's on a different bird. Stop me if I've told you that one.

5. GringoTex

GringoTex Member

Aug 22, 2001
    1301 miles de Texas
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Without illegal immigrants, your entire economy would collapse. You're one frijole famine away from being a banana republic.

6. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No way we are that high.
    I demand a recount.