How Should DCU Approach the Last Six Games

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by griffin1108, Sep 1, 2015.

1. griffin1108

griffin1108 BigSoccer Supporter

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Much ink has been spilled after the 3-0 disaster in the Swamp and the current 3 game losing streak. So, how should DCU approach the last 6 games of the season?

Some folks have argued that Olsen should run out the youngsters and scrubs and see what they've got, looking towards 2016. Some folks have talked about formation changes. Here's what I think.

In the RBNY game, DCU trotted out its 26th different starting lineup in 28 league games. Continuity is critical here. If players don't play together (and if players are injured and don't even practice with others) then timing and "knowing" where someone will be never develops. The 11 players on the pitch will look like a pick-up beer league team at times, because no one really "knows" their role and the role of the others.

So, I think you will get, and I agree with this, is what Ben has said about putting together a 15 or 16 person rotation and playing that through to the end. That means we will see Farfan, Halsti, Doyle and Arrieta getting substantial minutes. Pontius probably gets a few consecutive starts (if he stays healthy) to see if he can regain some semblance of form.

As everyone knows, this is a flawed team -- as is every other MLS team. Without Hamid and Espindola, DCU is a mid-table team at best. However, look at Seattle when Martins and Dempsey were down. Look at LA when Keane wasn't there. NE tanked while Jones was out, now that he has returned, they are back on track. RBNY has been lucky to have no serious injuries. If they lose one of Sam, BWP or Miazga for any length of time, they will be far less dangerous than they are today.

In the end, we will see Ben run out a core of Hamid, Franklin, Boswell, Birnbaum, Kemp, Pontius, Kitchen, Arnaud (if healthy), NDL, Espindola and Saborio. The primary subs will be Farfan, Halsti, Doyle, Opare, Arrieta and Aguilar. That's what we will see for the next 6 games and the playoffs.

Right now, DCU still sits in first, they probably won't be there by Sept. 12th. However, they are in a good position to fight for #1 and #2 in conference. Who knows, RBNY may spit the bit -- remember SKC was the consensus "hot" team about a month ago and then lost 3 straight. San Jose was a bunch of stiffs until they won 3 straight.

I'm saying stay the course -- don't make drastic changes. Play this hand to the end and then worry about 2016. Remember the 2004 team finished 3rd and was a .500 team. You never know what will happen in the playoffs.

2. Hedbal

Hedbal Member+

Jul 31, 2000
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Rolfe, our best field player, doesn't make either list?

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I would like to see the team try to win every game (road games included).

Dizi, jason1551, Alejandro 10 and 2 others repped this.
  4. Boloni86

Boloni86 Member+

Jun 7, 2000
    Baltimore
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Gibraltar
    I would just like to see some joy in our game. Someone try to dribble 1v1 or do something creative. I'm tired of watching these guys "working" as if playing soccer was a factory job. I already have to suffer through a 50-60 hour work week. I don't need to spend my weekends watching grown men suffer through theirs. Soccer is supposed to be fun.

Dizi, freekickwiz, Marco10 and 7 others repped this.
  5. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    -Place Espindola and Hamid in bubble wrap.
    -Scrimmage against a squad of marines, play against their relentless pressure until it's like they aren't there.
    -Sign a player or two. Hahahahahaha

Seriously though, set pieces, both taking and defending, and ball possession.

Every missed trap cost 5K, that kind of thing.

6. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    LA Galaxy already had First-to-5 Cups.

Let's not let them get First-to-5 Shields too. ;)

Oveki8 and Alejandro 10 repped this.
  7. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Thanks, old man brain fart.

Alejandro 10 repped this.
  8. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    It is essential that a rotation be set for the last for the last 6 games. I think the Pontius reclamation project has to be suspended, and Halsti needs to sit absent a Arnaud injury.. Let those guys try to get their grooves back in the remaining fall CCL games. Aguilar should be in, either as a starter or first offensive sub. He's playing pretty good, and more playing time for him is an investment in the future. Farfan is a tough call - he's looked like crap in MLS games but shown skill in CCL. But he is young and has talent, so I'd play him ahead of Halsti and Pontius, who are older and not producing. Doyle.... is Doyle. He's athletic, works hard, and can give us a productive 10-20 minutes a game. At this point, barring injury, the backline has to play it out as a unit, hoping to get it's form back. I like Opare, but he's odd man out now, and can prove his worth for next year by kicking ass in CCL games.

9. DangerMouse37

DangerMouse37 Member+

Jan 22, 2004
    WDC / Barra
    Based on Sunday's game, my best response is "with a stiff drink in hand..."

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    Due to obvious factors (injury and suspensions), this team has not been able to put out their "starting X1" at any point this season.

it's no surprise to me that we've seen inconsistency in the lineup. However, that being said, it's not like Ben has been forced t0 make 4-5 changes to the lineup from game-to-game. His core team has been here all season long and he's had to make tweaks to the lineup for the players who were expected to be there for more minutes (Hamid, Franklin, Fabi)..

Ben knows his lineup. Once Fabi returns it will be this:

Hamid, Franklin, Birnbaum, Boswell, Kemp, DeLeon, Kitchen, Arnaud, DeLeon, Rolfe, Fabi, Saborio

it's getting Fabi back now that is preventing this (and perhaps Arnaud now with concussion symptoms - although I'd still prefer Halsti instead of Arnaud, crap game vs Red Bull not withstanding)

bigredfutbol repped this.
  11. DecadeOfDCU26

DecadeOfDCU26 Member+

May 2, 2007
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bold move to clone DeLeon, put him on twice, and play with 12 men ;)

seriously though, you're right this is absolutely the lineup.

jason1551, sitruc and bigredfutbol repped this.
  12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    THANK YOU.

Dizi repped this.
  13. griffin1108

Dec 5, 2003
    Virginia
    Two things about midfield. First, part of the "ordinary" play from Kitchen probably comes from being worn down. I think he's played every regular season minute this year. At some point, his legs must feel like tree stumps. This 2 week rest should help -- although Olsen should have taken a flyer with Jeffrey spelling Kitchen for some serious minutes during this season. Second, if Halsti plays substantial minutes in the Euro qualifiers for Finland, he might get up to full match fitness. While he has underwhelmed so far, it may be a combination of a lack of fitness combined with unfamiliarity with MLS. Once he gains fitness and plays a few games (which may happen if Arnaud has a concussion), we will get a more definitive take on his level of play.

DCUSA and Winoman repped this.
  14. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    That's crazy talk. Obviously we'll continue our strategy of play for one goal early and bunker at home and on the road play to tie or lose by 1.

sitruc repped this.
  15. JRHokie

JRHokie Member+

Aug 23, 2001
    Fairfax, VA
    A-friggin- men.

I don't expect that to happen any time soon...or in the next few years.

Dizi repped this.
  16. Marco10

Marco10 Member+

Sep 9, 2002
    You know, I get it that this team is chip on their shoulder grinders AND I respect that. They are generally just solid players who succeed through effort and execution. I'm plenty OK with that. Stifle and win on one lone counter is brutal to watch, but hey it's effective.

What gets me is that they don't do simple things to relieve pressure on themselves right or consistently. They flat do not adjust to what the other team is doing to take advantage of a situation and they NEVER adjust their style of play even when it is warranted.

I get they have a system, but they should have some flexibility and some ability to not just robotically toe the line (if indeed there is a line.

Dizi, sitruc and Winoman repped this.
  17. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Play smarter, not harder?

18. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How soon we forget Espindola and Rolfe...
    But those guys are about it.

19. tallguy

tallguy Member+

Sep 15, 2004
    MoCoLand, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's even more simple than that. We'll go as far in the playoffs as Espindola, Hamid, Rolfe, Kitchen and Saborio carry us. Boswell, Kemp, Birbaum, DeLeon, Arnaud and Aguilar have the potential to play key support roles. All of the remaining guys are basically deck chairs who are undependable and probably will not have much of a future with the team.

20. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    I trust Olsen and the team to right some things from that catastrophe!

21. Oveki8

Oveki8 Member+

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    DC United
    sitruc repped this.
  22. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    United should go all out to win each of the next six games. They are all potentially winnable, and the Supporters Shield and/or winning the east are still within reach. Those are worthy prizes to pursue. It wouldn't be wise to manage playing time with an eye to the playoffs, because we could go into the playoffs completely healthy and rested and still be knocked out quickly. Obviously players' long-term health shouldn't be put at risk, but short of that it's time for the players to gut it out these next six games.

DCUSA, Winoman and Oveki8 repped this.
  23. DCUSA

DCUSA Member+

Jan 14, 2006
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it was you in the other thread who said Rolfe and Espi have to go 90 now every week, and I couldn't agree more. Unless it's a blowout one way or another, you have to have the two guys most likely to score on the field as much as possible.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    There's a game tonight at RFK.

25. fairfax4dc

fairfax4dc Member+

Dec 5, 2008
    Fairfax, Va
    It's a great chance for forwards not named Espindola or Rolfe to prove they deserve playing time in MLS matches.

Winoman repped this.