how often should you change air filter?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by _chachi, Jul 8, 2003.

1. _chachi

_chachi New Member

Mar 15, 1999
    new jersey, usa
    the local oil change facility told me air filters should be changed every 12,000 miles. is that correct? seems a little quick to me.

2. Own Goal Hat-Trick

Jul 28, 1999
    ColoRADo
    depends. if you have a crap air filter, then yeah. if youve got something (K&N being most well known) then you can just clean it every so often when it gets dirty and cruddy. i THINK those are good for about 60k or so...

3. mikesterw

mikesterw New Member

May 2, 2001
    Long Island, NY
    if you just have a standard air filter, that seems about right, once a year (12,000-15,000 miles). you can check it yourself though, just take a light and put it behind the filter, if you can see through it then its not dirty (general rule of thumb) if you can't then change it.

You can also get a K&N as Own Goal said, those you don't throw out, you just clean them. If you do this, make sure if you go to a garage, they don't throw it out or replace it.

4. FearM9

FearM9 New Member

Jul 14, 2000
    On my bike
    One problem I had with a K&N filter was that since the filter element is oil based...somehow some oil particles got onto one of my sensors and fouled it up and I had to get it replaced.