How often are 4th officials used?

Discussion in 'Referee' started by keeper1031, Mar 18, 2009.

1. keeper1031

keeper1031 Member

Jul 5, 2006
    Cbus ohio
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I mean like how often do 4th officials actually have to go out and referee or AR a game? has it ever happened at a high level?

2. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about soccer 4ths, but I was watching a college basketball game recently. One of the officials was injured, so the 4th took off his jacket and took over the spot.

3. d|hogan

d|hogan New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It's extremely rare. If an official is so injured that the fourth official needs to come in, often it would be the result of some kind of projectile or other violence on the official, causing the match to be abandoned. I suppose that in the case of the "drunk referee" video, the fourth would've stepped in, but I don't know what the result was.

4. andymoss

andymoss BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 4, 2007
    Nashville, TN
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    League/Milk/Coca-Cola/Rumbelows/Worthington/Carling/WhateverItsCalledThisWeek Cup Final earlier this month:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/7917077.stm

1729: A linesman limps off to be replaced by... another linesman.

It went through 90 minutes, both periods of extra time, then to KFTM.

Not sure if it was Peter Kirkup or Andy North that had to be replaced, but this was after 116 minutes.

5. boylanj64

boylanj64 Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happens, but EXTREMELY rarely. It happened in the EPL last year I think, I remember hearing they had a New Zealand FIFA in the stands who stood in for the 4th.

6. Tim Brice

Tim Brice Member

Sep 22, 2005
    Little Rock, AR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It happened at Nationals last year a couple of times. Some of the AR's cramped up and the 4th officials took their place.

7. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Definitely happened at EURO 96. And didn't it also happen--or almost happen--at one of the last two Women's World Cups?

8. d|hogan

d|hogan New Member

Mar 11, 2009
    San Diego
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It happened this week in a match in South America actually. Just saw the bit on FSC. You jinxed it mate! lol...

9. NHRef

NHRef Member+

Apr 7, 2004
    Southern NH
    I believe it happened in the Woman's world cup between full time and OT. The ref team came out for OT and the 4th took the CR slot.

I've had a need for it once while being a CR, one of my ARs pulled his hamstring. Luckily it was a lopsided game so I had the ARs switch sides so the pulled hammie AR wouldn't have to try and run. Both coaches agreed it was the right thing to do.

I've also seen a CR twist his ankle and have to come out, without a 4th, and an AR took over. And I've shown up for a game with no CR showing so AR1 took over.

10. oneref

oneref Member

Oct 18, 2005
    It was actually the women's gold medal match in the Athens Olympics, not the Women's World Cup. In MLS it has happened once, Roger Itaya came off the line to replace Noel Kenny. It happened in the 2005 Club World Championships when an AR got injured, which is what prompted FIFA to use a 5th official in Germany. At the pro level, the 4th is usually a referee and FIFA did not want someone who had not run a line in 10-15 years to run a line at the World Cup level.

11. Another NH Ref

Another NH Ref BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 29, 2008
    Southern NH
    It happened here last fall during the league championships (which is one of the few times we use 4ths for club soccer). CR pulled up injured in the first 10 minutes or so and swapped positions with his 4th.

12. Doug the Ref

Doug the Ref Member

Dec 6, 2005
    St. Louis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2 years ago, I was the 4th on a PDL match. Center severely pulled a calf muscle. had to get the cart. He couldn't even walk off the field. I went to the line and AR-1 became the referee.

13. USSF REF

USSF REF Guest

I THINK it happened in the a women's world cup FINAL... the Referee had to bow out at full time as the match headed into extra time. The 4th official took over.

14. gosellit

gosellit BigSoccer Supporter

May 10, 2005
    I remember Kari Seitz pulling a calf muscle (I think) during a match. After being attended to on the field, she hopped off the field, on her good leg, from the far side rather than be carried off.

15. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    It happens a lot more often that you think. I know of at least two occasions this season where the fourth official has had to take over from the AR in the PL.

And as already mentioned, it happened in the Carling Cup final when Bob Pollock, the 5th Official, took over from Alan Butler the AR in the 119th minute.

16. CalCard

CalCard Member

May 5, 2008
    CA

I remember that match as well. I thought it was interesting that she did not accept medical assistance and hopped off the field.

17. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently it happened today in the final minute of Andre Marriner's match, and Mike Dean had to come in for him. However, Dean was wearing a different colored shirt and he had to literally take the shirt of of Marriner's back.

On the other thread about 4th officials' dress, Englishref conveyed the fact that there is a much more lax attitude regarding having the fourth official in the exact same kit as the referee. That was very surprising to me. I wonder if this incident changes things, considering the fact that, ultimately, being prepared to replace an official is still the fourth's most important duty.

18. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    That's not what I meant. The 4th Official should be wearing the same kit as the referee, only under his tracksuit. No idea why Mike Dean wasn't today, and I'm sure he'll be suitably embarassed at having to take Marriner's shirt live on TV. The 4th Official may wear the different tops from Umbro, but they are all designed to be work by 4Os or when training. If the 4O isn't wearing a tracksuit top, but doesn't wish to wear his referee's top (so as not to confuse himself with the other officials), he can wear one of the Umbro t-shirts, but should still have his referee's top at hand in case he's called upon.

I suspect (though purely speculation) that Mike Dean didn't have a chance to wash his black kit, as he was refereeing at Tottenham in it yesterday (having come from Liverpool where he lives), then had to get all the way to Wigan by 1.30pm today. Given the number of times 4Os are required to take over, I guess he took a chance and just wore the green, but was sadly caught out.

19. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You would think EPL and FIFA referees would have multiple black shirts with them when they travel. What if you get hit in the face with a ball and get blood all over your shirt?

20. Gary V

Gary V Member+

Feb 4, 2003
    SE Mich.
    Or he didn't get the memo specifying what color was being worn, and made an incorrect assumption. When everyone else was different they thought, "Oh well, he'll have his coverup over it anyway. No need to change now." And it bit him.

21. MassachusettsRef

Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I understand what you mean now, but...

Why do some feel the need to be distinguished from the other officials? The mentality--at least as I've been taught here--is to make sure the fourth is viewed as an integral part of the team. It seems that, over there, some have been trained to feel differently.

I'm certain I understand the mentality--that a fourth official is in the technical areas and, just like substitutes, wears a top that distinguishes himself from his colleagues on the field. But in the case of substitutes, they are reserves--whereas the fourth official is always taking an active role in the match. It seems like wearing a training top sends the "hey, I'm just the backup" message.

22. Englishref

Englishref Member

Jul 25, 2004
    London, England
    It's not an FA requirement, and is usually not an issue as it's more comfortable to wear something over the top as you're not moving about, however, when it is really warm, I think it's just an English thing. No idea why, but I just see the 4Os job differently to the other three officials, so shouldn't be fully dressed as one. All the technical area know you are the 4O, so should treat you as any other official. This is especially true in the PL.