How much will Beltran demand in free agency?

Discussion in 'Baseball' started by therealronaldo7, Oct 19, 2004.

1. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    Carlos Beltran is a free agent this offseason. Being the Cubs fan, I am being optimistic and hoping that he comes to Chicago. That being said, how much do you think he will demand in the free agent market? His value has sky rocketed in the last week and a half. Not as though he wasn't a good player, because he was, but to do the things he is doing during the playoffs is just unbelieveable. Any ideas?

2. Achtung

Achtung Member

Jul 19, 2002
    Chicago
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As much as I'd like to think he could end up with one of several teams, in reality we're all about 90% sure where he's ending up.

3. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scott Boras is his agent, so whatever you think he'll sign for, you might want to add a bit to it.

Don't know how long he'll sign for, but I'm thinking 13-15 million/yr.

4. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash New Member

Jan 23, 2004
    NOrVA
    More than he's worth

no one can expect him to hit 8+ home runs every time he makes it to the playoffs. Plus he had a pretty rocky start when he first began at Houston and then gradually warmed up.

its one thing to play with zero pressure in KC or some in Houston, its another to play in NY or Chicago or other big market areas where the papers ride your ass for an 0/4 night

5. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    I think $13-15 million/yr. is accurate.

Yankees' OF:
    Matsui 30 yrs. old
    Williams 36 yrs. old
    Sheffield 35 yrs. old
    Lofton 37 yrs. old
    Sierra 39 yrs. old

Beltran is 27 and the best outfielder available. There is no way the Yankees lose this bidding war (as if there was any doubt). The only question that remains is if Beltran is adverse to playing in NYC. If he goes to the Yankees I think Beltran would command $15 million/yr without too much difficulty. The only way Beltran fails to get $15 million is if he goes to a team like LA.

BTW, who are the new owners of the Expos? Could they throw money at him?

6. RedDevil13

RedDevil13 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Illinois USA
    I would guess at least $15 million per year, probably for 6 years, signed by the Yankees.

7. amerifolklegend

amerifolklegend New Member

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    I think Beltran will be a fine back up to Manny Ramirez on the Yankees roster next year.

8. RedDevil13

RedDevil13 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Illinois USA
    Doubt that. Manny remains under contract to Boston.

9. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Heh heh heh. Cause that matters.

10. RedDevil13

RedDevil13 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Illinois USA
    It surely does!

11. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America

Heh heh heh. Silly man.

12. RedDevil13

RedDevil13 New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Illinois USA

Ok smart guy, explain exactly how the Yankees get Manny Ramirez, when he was on unconditional waivers last season they did not take him, and now he remains with Boston.

Grow up please.

13. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    Heh heh. You're funny. See, he's a member of the Red Sox. Therefore, common baseball law allows the Yankees to take him for a price - citing the 'whatever it takes to stab the BoSox in the back and send their uptight little internet geek fans with no concept of a sense of humor into a flailing hissy fit' clause of 1987. I believe it's from article 8.1 in your manual.

14. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    Beltran will not end up in LA.

15. soccertom

soccertom New Member

Jun 2, 1999
    Does not! :p

16. therealronaldo7

therealronaldo7 New Member

Apr 14, 2004
    Chicago
    You're an idiot! How is this gonna happen. Manny is clearly happy in Boston and despite the Yankees deep pockets, the Red Sox have deep pockets themselves and after beating the Yankees last night, I am doubting the Red Sox will be giving up Manny for any price. Plus, Manny would never go to the Yankees, he would then have to cut his hair! That ain't gonna happen pal!!

17. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Ramirez will not go to the Yankees for one very simple reason, and one reason only.

Steinbrenner will make him cut his hair. He will have none of that. End of story.

18. amerifolklegend

Jul 21, 1999
    Oakley, America
    WOW is your not-getting-itness astounding.

19. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Why is that? If Beltran fails to go to NY why wouldn't he go to LA?

20. fiddlestick

fiddlestick New Member

Jul 17, 2001
    The 4 8 0
    The only starting pitchers the Dodgers have under contract for next season are Penny, Weaver, and Ishii. They'd like to trade Ishii if possible. Lima will resign reasonably cheap. Wilson Alvarez, even if he resigns, will probably remain in relief because of his bum hip. The rotation is obviously a need.
    Beltre is a free agent. If they lose him to free agency after waiting 6 years for him to become the player it appears he's finally become, it would be a huge, huge loss. There just aren't that many franchise 3rd basemen around, especially homegrown ones.
    Eric Gagne is due his last year of arbitration. Unless they avoid arbitration and sign him to a multi-year deal, he'll be a free agent at the end of 05. They can't lose him period, so they can either pony up the cash now, or wait until he has another monster year and then Boras can grab them by the balls even more.
    There's also the fact that the Dodgers already have a cheap young centerfielder in Milton Bradley. They'd probably like to deal him, but honestly, who's going to take him and what could they possibly expect in return. Their best bet is to send him to the best shrink available and hope like hell he grows up.
    For the Dodgers to accomplish everything I've listed and still have $10-15 p/year left over to sign Beltran isn't likely at all.
    The days of the Dodgers being big players in the free agent market are over. Kevin Malone threw multiyear multimillion dollars at guys right and left and they won't even be finished feeling the sting of that until the end of next season when they pay Dreifort the last of his ridiculous $55M deal.

21. BadReligion

BadReligion New Member

Dec 26, 2002
    Washington, DC
    Beltran is going to New York, end of story. They'll sign him simply on the basis that they can. They'll get Pavano too...

22. Glenwood Lane United

Apr 28, 2001
    Hanover Park, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brian Cashman is a very good GM, however the Boss will demand they sign Beltran even though clearly the weakness of the Yankees is thier pitching.
    Personally I like Theo's way of building a club over Cashman's/ Boss way.

24. Lithium858

Lithium858 Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Baton Rouge
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That reminds me, where will Beltre end up? I don't think he'll stay in LA for some reason.

25. otterulz

otterulz Member

Arsenal, Atleti
    South Korea
    Jun 20, 2002
    LIC, NY
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did you ever think he said this to, oh I dunno.......yank your chain? Ahh......now it makes sense!

I'm assuming Beltran goes to the Yanks. I'd like to think that he'd show some loyalty and resign with Houston, but where's loyalty these days in sports? But hey, anytime the Yankees don't address their true weakness, I'm all for it.