How much on average do USL players make?

Discussion in 'United Soccer Leagues' started by YankBastard, Mar 30, 2006.

1. MasterShake29

MasterShake29 Member+

Oct 28, 2001
    Jersey City, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    PDL and W-League players make $0 (for playing at least) per season due to NCAA restrictions (most of the rosters is made up of NCAA players, and they would lose their eligibility if they were paid or if they played with players who were paid.

Why yes the NCAA sucks.

2. HSEUPASSION

HSEUPASSION New Member

Apr 16, 2005
    Duck, NC
    You also loose it if you took money for playing another sport, see: Jeremy Bloom.

NCAA has some really bullshit rules.

3. ECUNCHATER

ECUNCHATER Member

Sep 30, 1999
    Someone posted this in the MLS forum. The average pay in MLS is 75k. There are a few players that make wak above that though. Landon Donovan makes 900k and Freddy Adu I think makes 750k. The players on the reserve teams that see very little to no time with the first teams make $11,500 I think.

4. sturmgraz32

sturmgraz32 New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    St. Louis
    Club:
    SK Sturm Graz
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    players make in the regionalliga here,(austria) with average attendances of less than 1,000 people, over 2,000 euros a month. i would imagine that in a league with attendances like in the USL players could make double that easily. it's not just the attendances that the clubs make money from either, they get A LOT of money from selling players to bigger clubs and from sponsers.

5. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The difference is that USL clubs get very little from sponsors and almost nothing from TV and selling players.

6. Dr. Know

Dr. Know Member+

Dec 5, 2005
    Macondo
    Same thing happened with Jay Needham. He got drafted by DC United and was offered around 18,000 a year and turned it down to join the Islanders who were going to pay him more. He won rookie of the year in the league and is now playing in Europe.

As for the players I'm not sure what the average is but I do know that some of the Islanders players live in an area of San Juan called Condado/Isla Verde which is like Puerto Rico's version of South Beach Miami and it isn't cheap.

Our team has a lot of sponsors and good attendance so I think the players are getting paid pretty good wages.

7. sturmgraz32

sturmgraz32 New Member

Sep 28, 2008
    St. Louis
    Club:
    SK Sturm Graz
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i should've said "some players" make over 2000 a month here in the regionalliga. it depends on who you are, I don't know the average salary, but there are a lot of players who don't need other jobs once they're playing at this level.

8. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Any updated figures for USL Pro?

9. Coach_Hayles

Coach_Hayles Member

Dec 23, 2013
    Redmond, WA
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Bump. Same question as above.

10. mangerson

mangerson Member+

Sacramento Republic, San Jose Earthquakes
    Jan 8, 2008
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These are excerpts from one of my posts before last season. The source was the Oklahoma Gazette (which I think is a free-weekly paper) and the link to the article is now dead.

So, that's very little information for you to rely on but maybe it was a ballpark figure for 2013. Considering the addition of Sacramento, which I speculate operated on a higher payroll; other franchises in 2015 that will presumably try to emulate Sac; and depending on how you count MLS loanees, I suspect this figure is increasing.

11. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    That is a very low salary. What type of perks do USLPro teams offer to players on top of their salary?
    Do clubs provide housing for players?
    Are team meals provided as part of their daily training? Do they meet for a team breakfast before training? Followed by lunch?
    These things may not seem like much but they do add up

12. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Most USL Pro players play soccer as a part-time job or they live with 5 other players.

13. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    So USL PRO is not really PRO ? ;)

14. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pro in the sense that money is exchanged. PDL or NPSL usually means amateur and no compensation. You are usually playing for the "love of the game".

15. Vesty

Vesty Member

May 8, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    Club:
    Pittsburgh Riverhounds
    According to the Riverhounds bankruptcy paperwork the payroll budget for the first team next season is $520,000 which is "around league average." I believe this also includes the head coach.

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or in the case of the vast majority of PDL players, anyway, you're playing to improve your skills and stay fit before you go back to college in the fall.

But there are a number of former professional players in both leagues (harder in the PDL, which has limits on O23 players) who certainly continue to play for the love of the game.

17. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    With the MLS clubs taking the USL pro clubs as full minor league affiliates whether that actually will own the club of have a hybrid ownership like you see with minor league baseball, AHL, and now the NBA D-League clubs. It will sure up at least the affiliated clubs.
    Independent clubs like you see in baseball minor leagues, Arena or CFL football, hockey leagues, basketball leagues ABA or NBL of Canada, NASL and non affiliated USLPro clubs will continue to struggle at times or find the right formula merging with other leagues to make it work.
    For football the CFL is working now do to it being a Canadian league with a Canadian fan bases. Many other clubs under the major league level are working in a lot of cases by being part of a bigger S&E group that have at least one major league club and control of an arena or field in which to brand them under and being able to streamline costs in marketing and management.

18. cflsteve

cflsteve Member

Jul 21, 2013
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Gotcha. living with 5 other players happens in such leagues as the CFL as well. As for part time jobs if it is for some that will change with MLS teams becoming now fully affiliated like baseball etc. It will be truly a step to the major League level.
    You can see where some clubs are owning their own team or having a true connected affiliate like they are trying to get in place in Vancouver and seems like what is happening in Louisville with OC affiliate. The very loose affilates of just loaning a few players to a team in a different region are beginning to stop more and more now.
    The USLPro clubs are heading into the true minor league mode where Academy players turning pro early or after college can sign with the organizations under a minor league contract. Same with draft picks that have had to find another lower division club. Young internationals not ready for the MLS yet. And of course the bench players with MLS contracts able to get regular field time in a match that counts for something.

19. brentgoulet

brentgoulet Member+

Oct 12, 2005
    PuertoPlata, DomRep
    An above-average USL player is estimated to earn $2,000 a month, with some making $3,000 and more, The Washington Post reported in March, while Sports Business Daily reported in 2013 that the league's salaries range from $12,000 to $40,000 a season.

Some USL squads are owned by Major League Soccer, and many are affiliated with MSL clubs as developmental teams. The USL is seeking to become a second-tier league itself within the soccer hierarchy, the Post reported.

The NASL has average annual salaries of $15,000 to $30,000, with some players earning up to $100,000, according to a report from professional soccer networking service Fieldoo.

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...ootball-club-looks-to-kick-it-up-to-pro-level

USRufnex and kenntomasch repped this.