How much of a red-headed step-child are the Quakes? ...?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by battchy, Aug 9, 2005.

1. battchy

battchy Member

Oct 18, 2001
    Mtn View, CA
    So I was at the "friendly" last night and noticed this humorous little bit of information.

At half-time, the guys that weren't playing that night got on the pitch and set up a small, one-touch around the defenders in the middle drill. They set up boundaries so that it wouldn't get too big in area, giving the defenders a bit of a chance and making it more difficult than it otherwise would be for the passers.

Now normally, one would assume that these boundaries would be set up with some kind of device, perhaps small orange cones or something similar, right? Not our team. The boys had to use their own shinguards! No joke, there were a couple/few guys participating in the drill that had their guards on the ground on the four corners of their box. I just thought it was very appropo...

Cheers,
    B

GO QUAKES!!!

2. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they were probably too lazy to walk to the bench and grab some cones ;)

intersting story :)

3. Spartacus

Spartacus Member

May 20, 2001
    The NO SOCCER Zone
    Maybe we can get Chico's Bail Bonds as a uniform sponsor?

4. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like that! Instead of Score Three, Get a Burritto, we'll have Score Four and Get Out of Jail Free! (Misdemeanors only!)

5. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    to follow that thought, one Saturday, the players warming up at halftime used the hackey sacks that the blue crew throw out...

6. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    They do have cones, they use them in the pregame 5 on 5 drill the starters usually do. But maybe the "Kit Man" put the cones away after the pregame.....

The one touch drill they do in the circle is a staple of their practices, and the non starters usually do it during the pregame too. The guys seem to enjoy it; one time I asked a couple of the Reserves abou their pregame warmup, asking them why they did that drill and not some other things. They said that they can do whatever they want in the warmups (the non starters can) and they do that drill because they like it.

7. xpo38

xpo38 BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 10, 2000
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 2005 version has a new sponsor: Little "Bo-Peeps" Gentlemens Club.

If we could get those gals to cheer for the Earthquakes as well as they cheer for this kids, we wouldn't have to worry about attendance!

8. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought this thread was going to be about the MLS asking .500 soccer Sampson to coach the All-stars v Real Madrid.

9. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that would be the Nobody Loves Us, Everybody Hates Us thread just down the hall ;)

speaking of which, how the hell did Sampson get that gig?

10. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he turned it down..."too much work to do at with the Laxatives." Good for him. It galls me they asked him though.

11. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    oh really? haha, maybe it was a test.

I still am wondering what was going through the heads of the people that decided he would be a good choice.

12. US Sasquatch

US Sasquatch New Member

Nov 12, 2003
    Excluding members of LARS, of course.

13. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Yeah, the reports were that Sampson was offered and turned it down, and Colin Clarke was also asked and turned it down (not clear who was asked first). Supposedly MLS is going to announce who the coach will be sometime "early this week".....you'd certainly hope he would turn it down, but why the heck isn't Kinnear's name being mentioned? Look what he's done with a team of "no" (well, ok, one replacement) All Stars.....

Not that I want him to go and coach, I'd just like to see him asked and get some recognition for the coaching he is doing.

14. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    I think AEG convinced MLS to offer it to him cos they were hoping they might win a road game in his absence.

15. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    That was probably part of the agreement with Real, they didn't want to risk losing to the MLS team.

16. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    :D

To try to see what a legitimate reason might really be, I've racked my brain. I've come up with a couple of thoughts:

-- LA just played Real Madrid, so he got to "scout" them and come up with a strategy for how to play them

-- He does speak Spanish, would be able to do good PR in Spain (I got this off a different BS thread on this topic)

Pretty lame, those are the only possible reasons.....on a more entertaining note:

-- He's proven how good he is coaching teams on the road .....NOT
    -- He's so good at motivating superstars to play well ......NOT
    -- He knows how to get his team to play high scoring, entertaining soccer.....NOT
    -- He has a track record of winning......NOT

17. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely! Why is everyone overlooking Dom?! Look what he's done!! I don't want to jinx the rest of the season, but not only should he be considered highly for this job (I'd hope he doesn't go, but why the heck is he not mentioned even?), but there's a certain big ceremony at the end of the year with a certain honor that he should AT LEAST be nominated for.... No other coach in the league has done as much as Dom has all circumstances considered....

18. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    hey, we've won without Dom before this season, I'm sure we could probably do it again

heck, these boys could win with a group of monkeys coaching them.. LA just hasn't figured it out yet ;)

19. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw a Power Rankings think recently that had the comment for SJ being "Kinnear is a front runner for coach of the year"

that's the first recognition he's gotten

20. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe it's as simple and zippo, nada, no PR for the Quakes....ie pretty much MLS seeing in their best interest not to call attention to a team AEG may move??

Does Dom speak Spanish fluently or sort of?

21. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Can't really argue with that. Nicol is a great coach.

22. alliu23

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    agreed

23. KMJvet

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I still think it's a snub of Kinnear. Not that it's a snub of the order of magnitude asking Steve Sampson was.