How Much Does It Cost to Fly to South Africa?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nancyb, Jun 24, 2006.

1. Anthony

Anthony Member+

Chelsea
    United States
    Aug 20, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, in 1998 in France I was a bystander while some German neo-Nazi hooligans had a bit of a street battle with French police.

2. hollistonrevsfan

Oct 13, 2002
    Harrisonburg, VA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. seanT

seanT Member

Feb 15, 2000
    Washington, DC

I could not find the original reference that claimed no world cup game had been played in Detroit, but that it is not correct Detroit was a venue in '94, USA played there in fact. Technically it was Pontiac, but surely it counts as Detroit.

I am not sure what to make of Mr. Flanigan's arguments. I am impressed with his apparent experience in and knowledge of Africa, but comments like this, rants against mainstream media and some other things give me some pause as I evaluate the arguments.

South Africa is a country with some problems, but one that still gets pleny of visitors from the north...

5. bubbles_99

bubbles_99 New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    It seems that no one is acquainted with any South Africans, are has in prior knowledge.
    The people in SA are referring to 2010 as GANGSTER' PARADISE, statistically speaking it has the highest murder per capita in the world. Most South Africans are clearing the area during this time... Should perhaps wonder why??
    The most crucial thing to remember when entering South Africa is not the crime, but the violence associated with the crime.

Public transport is horrendous, in fact it doesn't really exist. I suggest hiring a car... Traveling in South Africa isn't the safest either, hi-jacking occurs quite frequently and they dont just take your car they shoot you as well. Flying within SA isnt too expensive if using www.onetime.co.za OR www.nationwide.co.za OR Kulula, Mango or (and of course SAA).

Food & alcohol is incredibly cheap. Hotels/guesthouse/B&Bs have gotten more expensive over the years, but staying in the more rural areas would be cheaper.

It is a BEAUTIFUL country, so take time to check out the sites!!

English is widely spoken in the cities, not as much in the rural areas.

Ticket prices range from $1500-3000, obviously early booking is cheaper

DONT BE A FOOL, follow what the locals do if they dont go to certain places its best to follow their lead. NEVER TAKE ONE person's advice, rather ask a few.

6. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    This really shouldn't be a surprise as English is one of the official languages SA, and the primary way blacks and whites communicate with one another.

7. wolfp10

wolfp10 Member

Sep 25, 2005
    To bring this back to the original question...

A quick search of flights brought up a direct flight to Johannesburg from Washington-Dulles on United that cost $1700-$2000 depending on your travel dates and connections.

Regarding safety, one of the advantages of the brigade structure of Sam's Army is there will probably be groups planning on going together, which will make arrangements and such much easier and safer for all.

I plan on being their, I hope to see many U.S. fans their as well.

8. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    You may want to check out the fares with Emirates Airlines (www.emirates.com). They are an official WC sponsor and the official airline, and from what I have read they are planning on adding a significant amount of flights from their hub in Dubai to Johannesburg. Obviously its way too early to know what the fares/schedules will be.