How Much Does It Cost to Fly to South Africa?

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by nancyb, Jun 24, 2006.

1. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was wondering since it will be winter in South Africa during the World Cup, what kind of temperatures can we expect?

2. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I looked up Johannesburg, which has temps ranging from 40s-60s during June and July.

ZCflint05 - $8k should be more than enough. SoccerTravel is a partner with USSF, and although they are expensive, they are trusted. You may just be better off hangin around here and trying to get in with a group from BS.

3. Thomas Flannigan

Feb 26, 2001
    Chicago
    South Africa is so huge it has different climatic zones. Durban and Cape Town are cold and wet in June and July. The Jo’Burg area, Bloemfontein, Limpopo, Pretoria and Nelspruit, are cold and clear. Jo’burg’s altitude is 1900 meters (6000 feet), adding to the chill of the night. Expect lows around 38-42 degrees Fahrenheit and day temperatures rarely over 55. But it will be very clear with no rain to speak of.
    Soccer Travel arranges travel for the USSF and offers packages that include tickets, hotel, and air transport, with “add-on” such as local tours. I don’t know what the prices will be but don’t expect a bargain price; South Africa is a pretty expensive place to fly to.

4. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    8k should be plenty, even for the pricey soccertravel packages (maybe). i have heard in world cups past that packages were the only way to get some/all tickets, at least for american tickets. if so, then your planning would be minimal.

when i checked last month, a may 2007 trip from germany to sa was around $700 - $800 or so. while that will probably go up in a wc year, perhaps a usa -> europe ticket will still be pretty reasonable. if you combined some european site seeing into a wc trip you might get more bang for the buck (even if maybe you spend more $ overall). just a thought....

5. zcflint05

zcflint05 New Member

Jul 12, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    I appreciate the advice, Kinda hoping I'll find someone in the MI area that's heading off to the WC in 2010, it would make things a heck of alot easier. We've got a while to plan it out but I imagine once we get a couple years closer, booking flights and such would be stressful. Thanks again...

6. Elisa Uranga

Elisa Uranga New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Sierra Madre, CA
    If I can afford it. I will definitely try and do all my games in Johannesburg and Pretoria for proximity sake. Johannesburg will have 2 venues.

7. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    I have heard travelling between cities in South Africa by train is extremely dangerous over there. Has anyone else heard this?

8. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Im really excited for South Africa , and I just got back from germany . I'm starting to save my money now and will hopefully have enough to get me to Mexico City in 09 , then S Africa in 2010 . IF i dont have enough money , ill swim .

9. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what's going to hpen in Mexico ity in 09'??

10. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's basing it on the WCQs that were in 2005... so 4 years later.... 2009...

11. AMAPO

AMAPO Member

Mar 8, 2006
    Krypton City
    Club:
    Laredo Heat
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thanx I though I was missing something here,

Galaxian good luck with the chilango fans

12. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=374385&cc=5901

Also mentions a 25 % unemployment rate for the country. :(

Looks like they will be doing their best to get plenty of locals into the games, translation, we will be paying more as international visitors...

For me, there is one aspect of the tournament being in South Africa instead of Germany which I think should make life much easier for all who are going, and that is a greater availability of tickets. I went through so much crap to end up with my three games, and could only get a single US game. Still way too many going to the sponsors. Maybe the tickets that go to FIFA include the allocation to the national associations? Also a plus that most of the stadiums seem to be larger than the ones in Germany. I can taste that TST 7 now...

13. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We really need to get in on the FIFA ticketing phase first, rather than wait for the USSF allotment. It would mean more US fans in the seats.

14. ironduke2010

ironduke2010 Member

Mar 18, 2005
    A2, MI USA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fifa sez it'll (re)take over ticketing in 2010 since it was "way too complicated" this time around. for all of the griping of the complexity etc of getting wc2006 tix (and yeah, it really was a pain in the ass), with the help of these boards and that sleeper browser, i managed 7 games including all 3 usa games (some via ussf), so i can't complain too much. if the 2010 process similarly favors OCD types (like myself!), i won't complain too much then either.

in wc2002 korea, there were plenty of tickets available, even on gameday. many games kicked off (and ended) with huge swaths of empty seats. many people were offering us tickets as we approached the stadiums. i've said in other posts that the koreans enlisted what seemed like whole school districts to fill the stands with children. (otoh south korean games were packed to overcapacity). koreas distance from the euro and south american fans kept numbers low.

in germany of course, all games were packed (not to mention fan fests, fan miles etc). if wc2010 is kept in sa, i think tickets will be relatively easy to get, even should the ussf allocation sell out. as the speculation goes though, we'll see whether sa keeps the world cup after the next fifa elections in may '07....

15. The Wisdom Cube

The Wisdom Cube New Member

Oct 7, 2005
    Clemson, SC
    Remember, the key is to get onto the secure server!:D But let's hope we get what we want the first time around. I wasted more than a few hours hitting refresh for tickets this past cup.

16. TheTreasurer

TheTreasurer Member

Nov 6, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Although prime matches like the final will still be hard expect ticketing demand to be similar to Japan/korea.

Ticketing is another concern. 1 million tickets allocated to South Africans at 100Euro each i wonder how many of the "black community" can afford these. Me thinks not too many.

Crime is a problem but if you stay in the right areas you will be fine but unfornuetly soem of the stadiums will be in the wrong areas including SoccerCity and Eliis Park in Johannisburg.

Still a World Cup in South Africa will be much better than haivng to deal with Americans for a month.

17. dirk diggler

dirk diggler Member

May 14, 2000
    Fire Daddy!
    Club:
    --other--
    A couple of weeks ago the travel section of the Sunday NY Times had an article about visitng Johannesburg. In yesterday's travel section there were two letters to the editor advising folks not to travel anywhere near JBerg. http://www.nytimes.com/2006/07/30/travel/30mail.html The letters are real eye openers. I have relatives that live in South Africa, a few weeks ago I tried to "feel" them out about staying with them during the tournament. They told it is simply not safe to visit South Africa, and they didn't expect the situation to get any better. I have a feeling the organizers may have to give away tickets.

18. superlimey

superlimey Member

Jun 7, 1999
    Boulder, CO
  19. chancre

chancre New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    your nether regions
    Hi. Go fu[k yourself.

20. Pule

Pule New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    As a South African, I think I need to comment more on this issue.

Well to be honest guys, Crime is a problem in our country even though some of the people make it sound like South Africa is a no go area. The government and the business are working on it and the likes of BWM, VW and other car manufacturers are equiping our national police with cars to be able to do their jobs properly. Last week Minister of Safety announced the ordering of more than 30 000 bullet proof vests.

As for the public transport, the government have invested a lot of cash into trains, busses and for the taxi recapitilization.

The unfortunate part is that irrispective of the irradication of crime whereby day and night life is booming, people still think that Johannesburg is still dengourous. Yes, the likes of Hillbrow wre immigrants have piled up amd messed with that part of the city crime is still prone, but metro police, SAPS and Anti-corrption units have in the recent days attacked the law bracers in that part of the city.

The trains are gonna be fitted with the CCTV cameras and that will also be at the stations, outisde the stations and inside the trains with the secirities at all points. The Johannesburg Metro busses are one of the most efficient ones, but their times just have to be adjusted.

Investment in Johannesburg is rolling in billions and more office blocks are being converted into lofts, penthouses etc. Traffic is bad, but with the current running project to stabilize our public transport we finally can say Johannesburg is the place to be.

Johannesburg's official website, www.joburg.org.za

Johannesburg Metro Police , this unit was formed to irradicate crime in and around Joburg, starting from traffic violations to violent crime. Head of Johannesburg Metro says thatthey are recruiting about 450 recruits every month but he never stipulated as to until when, but he said that by 2009 they will make sure that people can travel or even walk wherever they want i and around Johannesburg.

All in all I would say that work have started in South Africa especially around security and the transport infrastructure.

To those who are reluctant, please check out the A1 GP next year in Durban. It will be hosted in February and for the exact date go to www.a1gp.com.

If South Africa was that bad, it couldn't have won the best organized A1 event for the last season.

www.southafrica.info
    www.southafrica.net

21. Dougdog

Dougdog New Member

Apr 27, 2005
    Long Island
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I am taking a wait and see attitude on 2010. Deep down I think that SA can pull off a good tournament despite the problems. Quite a bit of money is being poured into this. After attending the Cup in Germany I don't think 2010 will match 2006. It was a fantastic event. Pule, I wish you and country the best of luck.

22. AyanO

AyanO Member

Arsenal
    United States
    Apr 22, 2005
    New York City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I must say this has been a very interesting thread to read with alot of great information. I attended the WC in Germany this past summer and must say it was the greatest sports event I have ever went to and now I am hooked on big Intl soccer tournaments. First up for me will probably be Euro2008 in the lovely Austria and Switzerland(one country sadly I didnt get to visit this past summer). I am thinking about South Africa in 2010 for sure, but looking at the map of cities where the venues are and other concerns of people here, mostly safety, travel times/transportation and if these stadiums are ever going to get built as concerns.
    That budget of 800Million to build 4 large stadiums is a pipe dream, I know construction costs might be cheaper in South Africa than here in the states, but who has ever heard of a major sporting venue costing less than 400Million these days in the states?
    With all these rumors of the 2010 cup being moved to Australia or the USA, does anyone know what the possible drop dead date would be, i assume it would have to be done by around 2008 at the latest to give the new host country time to get things in place.. As much as I want to see South Africa, and goto another WC I think 2010 might be a bit too early considering some of the problems the country is having right now, and while 4 years seems like a long time, as a reminder just look at the "hole in the ground" here in NYC 5 years after 9/11 attacks..

23. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    Anybody know why FIFA would hold the 2010 tournament in such a remote place anyways?
    You could find bigger stadiums in more convenient locations, closer to international media just about anywhere on earth.
    I can only think the politics of putting the games in Africa and how the time zone corresponds with Europe must be the reasons for this decision.
    Otherwise there is a lot more money to be made other places - and I thought FIFA was into making money.
    I would vote for anywhere else - not that SA isn't great - but the place is a beat down to get to.