How much better are we?

Discussion in 'Liverpool' started by kopiteinkc, Sep 4, 2002.

1. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    While we have no league matches for a while I thought it might be time to consider how much better we are this season compared to the last couple. Or not, depending on your viewpoint.

Maybe I am reacting too strongly to our performance against Newcastle but I am very excited about our prospects this season. Yes, even though we threw it away in the last 10 my rosy outlook remains!

For one thing it is obvious we have changed our style of play for the better. I was not one of those supporters who was moaning about us not winning 5-0 every match anyway, but I do see some very positive signs of GH "unleashing hell" as they say.

A number of matches (mostly at home) we have seen 4-3-3 and seeing the likes of Diouf, Owen and Heskey all on the pitch at the same time is enough to scare most defences.

Our midfield play has been outstanding. In particular Gerrard, Hamann and Murphy have been remarkable. Beatiful interceptions, great runs forward, timely tackling. Hamann is one of the greatest clean tacklers I have witnessed in my short 38 years.

With Dudek, and the mighty H's at the back all looks good, let's not go there ... (Santa!)

What can stop us? The obvious at moment, poor finishing and poor defending. We have seen both so far.

Also, injuries. A team deprived of the likes of Gerrard, Owen, Hamann, etc obviously our quality drops. But I see signs of great cover on the bench, such as Baros, Cheryou, Diao, etc.

We need to combine this more fluid attacking play with our sterner resolve at the back from last season and the trophies will be rolling in come May.

2. Lanky134

Lanky134 New Member

Oct 25, 1999
    134, 3, 6
    It's obvious we're a more resourceful team this year. Last year we were too often too tempted to playing Route 1. I think that was the result of the success of 2000-01, where Heskey and Owen worked so well in their roles as Target Man and Attack Dog.

The main difference, as you point out, has been the aggressiveness of the midfield. Houllier said that he wanted to get them more involved in the attack, because they didn't account for nearly as many goals as 2000-01. The switching of Danny and Stevie, coupled with their return to fitness, has been revelatory.

Dave

3. kopiteinkc

kopiteinkc Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 1, 2000
    Shawnee
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I like the use of the word aggressiveness here. It sums it up well.

Of course, it is more than just fierce but fair tackling. Often Hamann and Gerrard are aggressive about the way they go forward too. Hamann and his goal v Newcastle and Gerrard and the run that put Owen free in the first half of the same match spring to mind.

But they aggressive in two other ways too. One is the increased speed they are playing at, fast, fast passing and running but with skill. And secondly their increased aggressiveness in winning the ball back. Not just tackling on this one. Look at the number of times you see an outstretched leg cutting off the passes from the opposition midfield.

Again Hamann and Gerrard are flying across the field cutting out passes and creating fast attacks.

I know I am waxing eloquent here but we all know the midfield is the most important facet of the modern game and we look to have the best and deepest in my opinion.