How many times per year do you travel outside your hometown to see a game?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by sarabella, Aug 16, 2006.

1. sarabella

sarabella BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 22, 2004
    UK
    How many times per year do you travel outside your hometown to see a game?

2. yellowbismark

yellowbismark Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Club Tijuana
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never lived in an MLS market, but I have managed to catch at least one MLS game per year.

Never been to a club game in Europe however.

3. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    I have no choice. But it also doesn't bother me, really.

4. jhope

jhope BigSoccer Supporter

San Antonio FC
    United States
    Mar 18, 1999
    San Antonio, TX USA
    Club:
    San Antonio Scorpions FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Living in San Antonio has forced me to attend games in Dallas and Houston. I am a season ticket holder for both teams. I have been a season ticket holder for Dallas since year one and I even once had a mini package for DC United. I travel to Dallas at least 7-8 times a year and to Houston about the same. I attend at least one DC United game a year and I try to make either the all-star game or MLS cup every year. I also travel to see the Austin Lightning and Laredo Heat at least once or twice a year.

5. Erkan

Erkan New Member

Dec 17, 2005
    Istanbul-Turkey
    Away games outside your hometown are much more exciting, dangerous and fun with a lot of drink! I was go 3-4 times a year but this year I will go more away games for sure.

6. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Occasionally I'll see one if I'm out of town for a different reason, but it's rare that dates match up. It'd be quite a drive to go to an MLS game, but if Wake Forest counts, I still catch one of those every now and then.

7. IASocFan

IASocFan Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 13, 2000
    IOWA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I try to get to KC for 3-5 games per year (200 miles). I've been twice this year, plus once to San Francisco for USA-Japan.

On my list of things to do is a Wizards road game, but family commitments have kept that as a low priority option.

8. pookspur

pookspur Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Indiana
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    domestically, a couple of fire matches, a few of crew matches, and, usually, a couple of USMNT matches - whenever they come to columbus or chicago.

at least one london trip per year - tottenham manditory, but scheduled so that at least a couple of other matches can be taken in. most years, i try to make one additional trip to the continent, and take in a couple of matches. last year, portugal (benfica, sporting, & belenenses), this year, hopefully either prague, or wherever spurs play in the uefa cup.

i clicked on "5-10", but now that i think about it, it's almost always "10+". it also occurs to me that i spend way, way too much money watching football.

9. norfcath57

norfcath57 Member

May 2, 2006
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can't get there.

I can't travel outside Philly, but I'm all over the tube, with Direct Kick.

10. AFCA

AFCA Member

Jul 16, 2002
    X X X rated
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I've stopped going to football. Went to the Dortmund-Ajax friendly though ;)

11. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Living in Hawaii its hard to make it to games.

But I've managed to travel to at least one MLS game the past couple of years.

12. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. While Dubai gets it's own golf, tennis and formula-1 world championships.. nothing worth travelling for in terms of football. Although big stars do make appearances in Dubai - I'm not exactly gonna drive 4 hours round trip + fight Dubai's awful traffic, to see that. When a big tournament or team does come to the UAE, such as Brazil NT last year, or the World Youth Championships (in 2003), the games are usually played in Abu Dhabi - the capital city and where the Emirates national team usually plays their home games. So not much point in leaving Abu Dhabi to see a regional game.

I do however travel a lot and am always sure to see a match when I go overseas... so I guess once or twice a year are the correct answers... hmm, let's see... went to Russia last summer so I was sure to catch Lokomotiv Moscow vs. Alkmar. (special thanks to Bigsoccer as I was able to get the match information via BS posts on the Eastern Europe Forum). Last siummer, I went to Africa and saw the Tusker Cup semi-final in Kenya - it was some Tanzanian club, Simba vs. some Ghanian team... neither of these games were sellouts or will have any real major impact on world football though...

Anyhoo, so the answer I guess is once or twice a year...

13. Fires Of Fulham

Fires Of Fulham New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Chicago, USA
    I go to England once a year to see two matches (sometimes three).

And I try to go to one away match the Chicago Fire play.

Also if I'm in a different city for work, I see if the local MLS or USL-1 team is playing. Call me a snob, but I just don't bother with lower since it feels weird going to a match with only 3,000 other people as a tourist.

14. dah_sab

dah_sab New Member

Mar 8, 2001
    Austin, TX
    I try to go to Germany every year but don't always make it. Gotta keep up with Kaiserslautern (though I love 1FCK the town had no business hosting world cup matches - what a nightmare!)

For the first several years of MLS I did go up to Dallas at least once a season but their initially bizarre (though now obviously changed for the better) seating arrangements turned me off, as it usually meant 90 minutes sitting in direct sunlight. That is not fun in July & August.

I haven't made it to Houston to see the Dynamo. I've seen US-Mexico in the new stadium so I don't have a great itch to go there since I grew up there & don't miss it.

I tried to get into MLS the first 5-6 seasons, including subscribing to DISH's MLS package, but after experiencing full stadia, 90 minutes of tension & and all the fans actually paying attention to the game in Kaiserslautern, Dortmund, Hamburg & Berlin, well, burning the rare day off my wife gets on taking a day trip to see Dallas or Houston doesn't exactly get my blood pumping. I wish it did and the way things are going in MLS it just might in about 8-10 years.

15. soccerexpert redded

Aug 17, 2006
    I suppose few people go outside of their hometown and watch the games.
    Think about how much expenses will be wasted.

16. blackandwhitearmy

blackandwhitearmy New Member

Jul 27, 2006
    newcastle
    away matches are a much better atmosphere then home matches i only got to 3 last year hopefully about 7 or 8 this year tho

17. e11even

e11even New Member

Jul 9, 2006
    East Bernard, TX
    I went to Dallas a while back to catch the Houston Dynamo battle it out with FC Dallas and am planning on going with the Texian Army again in a couple of weeks. It's great watching away games, especially when building a young rivalry, and the atmosphere in the bus while traveling there was outstanding last time, so I hope it's as good or better this time around.

18. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In my younger days I used to go away every other weekend, although there was only one season (1994/5) that I managed to go to every single game. I go to a lot less away games now, probably only 4 or 5 a year, but I do tend to take in the same number via foreign trips - in fact, including 6 at the world cup, I saw 11 non-English games last season. Generally if I fancy a long weekend break somewhere, I tend to pick a city whose team are at home that weekend.

19. mrtandy

mrtandy Member

Oxford United
    England
    Mar 12, 2003
    Banbury,Oxfordshire.
    Club:
    Oxford United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I went to 114 matches last Season. 38 matches at Banbury United's Spencer Stadium (some reserve games in that), I saw them play away 16 times.
    Only got to Oxford 8 times, no away games. Hopefully will do better then that this Season, even though we are in the Conference.
    I've a friend who supports Aston Villa so I cadge a lift to Villa Park a few times a Season and to away games and when I haven't been to Ground. Only have Chelsea and Arsenal's new Ground to tick off in the Premier League thanks to him. Can't see me paying 50 quid to see Chelsea this Season though.
    Went to a couple of games in Belgium, also 2 in Germany 1 in Scotland and the UEFA Cup Final in Eindhoven. Also lots of local non-league games.
    Also did 7 games at the World Cup this Summer, 2 in Dortmund, 2 in Hannover, 2 in Kaiserslautern (fun on the trains they were) and 1 in Cologne.
    My Bank Account is looking a bit sorry at the moment. Still going to Aberdeen in October and hopefully to the European U-21's in the Netherlands this Summer.

20. Peakite

Peakite Member

Mar 27, 2000
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Halifax Town
    Your bank account won't look to healthy with many games down at Oxford this year.

Every game for me involves travelling (I don't support the team where I live). Made over 20 games last season and travelled to 15 or 16 different grounds, more than I've been able to make before. Trying to get a similar number this season too.

21. Mark@the_Library

Jul 18, 2002
    Louisville, KY

I don't live in an MLS market. I have a kid playing high school soccer and I can catch college soccer locally. Other than that, it is E2 and FSC.

I watched all and parts of 4 games on Saturday, it that counts.

22. Jicco

Jicco New Member

Jul 13, 2006
    Opole
    I am going to almost all of my hometown team away matches. It finally become interesting after Odra's promotion to polish second league. Now, I can travel over all Poland tracing my team :) Away matches in Poland have specific atmosphere, with his good and wrong sides.

23. TONY42OMONTANA

TONY42OMONTANA New Member

Aug 21, 2006