How many of you embrace the new name?

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by kerowack, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Why should I stop "tilting at this windmill?"

2. Toad_of_Toad_Hall

Toad_of_Toad_Hall New Member

Apr 17, 2006
    A state of confusion
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Embrace" it?
    Hell, I tolerate it; having no practical alternative.

3. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    I just got neg repped by doctor k. Anyone else?

4. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    How many times do I need to point out that it isn't the Metro Reds fans ripping on the other side? No matter how many times you, Doc. K or anyone else tries to make it sound like we are looking down on you, anybody with a pair of eyes and at least as many brain cells can read the thread and see the truth for themselves. The Red Bull folks have been claiming moral/ethical/logical superiority over everyone else. The Metro Reds folks have been saying, all through the thread, that you can call the team what you want and we'll each support in our own way. I swear, some of you folks are being willfully ignorant.

As to the rest of your post, please please PLEASE stop trying to "sound" more intelligent than you are. You tried to make a point. You failed. When that happens, you own up to it or you disappear from the thread. You do not show up with an inane, nonsensical post in which you clearly attempt to use words that you do not understand.

5. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Why is it such a big deal to you? We've explained why we feel the way we do, and, you being relatively new, don't understand our reasoning. That's fine. Chant for "Red Bull" all you want. Why is it such a huge ********ing deal to you how we support this team? We don't tell you how to be a fan. Mind your business.

6. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

Nah, but I'm a big, bad mod. ;) Plus I gave him some positive rep a few pages back for trying to settle the thread down with humor (before his big post that tried to paint the Metro Reds folks as the instigators of this thread).

7. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Mr. McCullough,

While your attempt to defain is admirable it is mere flummery. For just because you fail to expand your own personal lexicon does not mean that I must reduce mine to suit your needs.

Again, you, like the other poster Metrogo, fail to make a reasoned or legitimate argument counter to mine. Instead you make the statement, "That is stupid." I would be far more impressed if you could actually demonstrate the supposed stupidity instead making the blanket claim.

Alas, I fail to believe such a response will come. I expect nothing less than the claim that I am a "troll" or that I'm "stupid." I doubt I will be disappointed.

Wondering what houses the strawmen live in,
    P

8. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    You deserve a rep for that; as MLS fans we tend to live in a fantasy world anyway.

9. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Another trolling new soccer fan. Good bye.

10. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    I don't think Mateschitz see it that way. To him Red Bull represents not only the drink, but an attitude toward life; the name of the drink seems to sum up his entire outlook on things, and that's why he identifies a variety of pursuits and enterprises with that name: it's a soft drink, an F1 team, 2 soccer teams, an "air force" and a range of other ventures. He's genuinely proud of what he's done, and of the directions in which he is moving.

Many here see a team being named for a drink in a can, and that is all, and they find that crass and materialistic. Would the name FC Yeunglings be more acceptable? To some it would; to others the problem remains: the team is an ad for the product. My problem, if it is a problem, is that I see nothing wrong with that, since it is a professional team that one day hopes to show a profit. The team itself is a business. If soccer professionals like Beckenbauer, Pele' and 'our own' Shepp Messing have no problem with this, are we not like frightened monks, who run to a monastery, crying "impure, impure?"

Maybe the news bits and interviews are being selective, but I don't see MLS players objecting our good fortune. I read a lot of flack from fans -- our own, and rival fans, offering nuggets of wisdom, such as: "that sucks," "that's gay," "they still suck." I'm not going accept a DC fan's opinion of my team's name or owner, and I certainly don't look for their approval of us

We are turning into a very big show. Please stay tuned.

11. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Mr. Go,

Predictable as any, you didn't fail to disappoint. However, chances are that I was enjoying the game of soccer as your diapers filled. Similarly, your posts exude as honesty as those diapers.

Circles of life,
    P

12. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    This guy misquotes me in his sig, and wonders why I'd get so fed up I'd give him a neg rep? I'm sick of the personal attacks. Period.

Jacen,

I honestly have felt that the Metro Reds Initiative claimed moral superiority from the start. The RB supporters haven't started anything, but have simply reacted. If we didn't, people would think the only ones cheering for RB are newbies, and that's not the case, as plenty of us who not only followed the Metros for ten years, but even have fond memories of the Cosmos support the changes.

I think it makes more sense to just keep calling them them the Metros rather than invent a name to serve as a "compromise" between the old name and the current name. As long as we don't lower ourselves to personal attacks, we're just arguing over what makes more sense, to cheer for Metrowhatever or to cheer for the NY Red Bulls.

13. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga

So if you love it so much, why are you not using the correct name of the team? Why are you inserting your own idea of what the team name should be? The name is "Red Bull New York", NOT "Red Bull F.C. of New York".

14. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY
    Fixed the sig. I didn't wonder for a moment why you gave me a neg rep.

15. 4Winds

4Winds New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Chattanooga

16. Metrogo

Metrogo Member

Apr 6, 1999
    Washington Hghts NY

17. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland

I wasn't trying to "defain" (not a word, btw) anyone. I was offering some simple advice. I have no problem with intelligent people. As an English teacher, I wish I would run across more folks with a solidly diverse lexicon. The problem with your posts isn't that you use impressive looking words (when you actually do use real words). The problem is that it is obvious by the way you put them together that you do not know what those words mean. That shows me and everyone else that you are simply attempting to appear more intelligent than you are. It's sad. Make your point, but make it at your more comfortable and natural language level. Something that makes sense that is said with simple language is more intelligent than gibberish that has many impressive words thrown about improperly.

As to your "argument," it was ridiculous. There was no logic to it. You were trying to paint a picture that the team was the product, but nobody was arguing about that at all. In a way, it's funny that you mention straw men, because that is precisely what your last post was.

18. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to try and make this thread a bit happier, I love all of you :)

19. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This whole thread is retarded...

(Just thought I would point that out.)

20. Mr. Bee

Mr. Bee New Member

Feb 2, 2005
    Buzzing Around
    Club:
    Wolverhampton Wanderers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe its not the thread that's retarded. Huh? Huh?

21. ThePebble

ThePebble New Member

Jun 1, 2005
    Mr. McCullough,

I apologize for the mis-type. I meant defame. And no, my words fit fine in the context for which they are placed.

As to the argument, if you recognize the team as a product, then why the animosity over the name change of said product? Why the need to create a new name that appears less commercial?

If Colgate changed its name to Pilgrass, would you argue that it should be called ColPil? Of course not. But for here, you argue "it's different."

So, why the animosity towards the name Red Bulls? Why the necessity to impose some pseudo-handle to an entity that already possesses one?

Where's that water cooler,
    P

22. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    This reminder deserves a little bump. Well said.

23. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    I'm sorry, but this belief just baffles me. You have access to this entire thread. It was started by Red Bull folks. It called out Metro Reds folks. Before any of us tossed in our 2 cents, we were called delusional, told that we should have our own board to go in and remember the past (ie: get out), called ridiculous and referred to as the new Cosmos people.

Let's refresh. Red Bull folks start a thread that actively mocks and insults the Metro Reds crowd. The Metro Reds crowd responds with (almost to a person) the idea that we should each support the team in our own way. Now, ten pages later, you state that WE started it and you were the ones responding?? I expect that from a few of the mentally challenged folks around here, Doc, but you know better. Just read the beginning of the thread again. We didn't start this. What's more, every time it looked to be winding down, it was another Red Bull fan who would post an insulting inflammatory comment to rile everyone up again.

As to the idea that people would think that the Red Bull crowd was made up of nothing but newbies, that's also BS. I've been one of the more vocal Metro Reds folks on this thread, and I specifically stated that there were longtime fans that were solidly behind the new name. I specifically stated that we (the Metro Reds crowd) were a clear minority. The only mentions I made about new folks was that this insulting thread (ie- people telling other fans how to be appropriate fans) was being driven by a bunch of newbies who didn't have a clue as to the history of this team.

I'm aware of your opinion. I disagree. As I have been saying for pages and pages now, what difference does it make to you? We aren't trying to convert you. This is our way to hold on to some small part of the team that has meant so much to us over the last decade.

Honestly, this whole thread is as ridiculous as if I started a thread about why I don't think Doctor K should use Crest because Mentadent is the more proper toothpaste. I may be right or I may be wrong, but who the ******** cares? It doesn't impact you in any way what we call the team. Why so many of you care so much, I have no idea.

24. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Well true. I wont mention any names though. ;)

25. Jacen McCullough

Nov 23, 1998
    Maryland
    No, they really aren't, although in this post, you seem to have scaled back on the extra words thing a bit. Thanks for that.

1- Because the passion involved in supporting a sports team is quite a bit different than toothpaste.

2- If Colgate changed their name to Dr. Pepper, I would wonder about the sanity of their CEO. This isn't just about a simple name change. They took a soccer team and gave it the name and logo of a beverage. That, to me, is ridiculous.

If you'd read any of my earlier posts, you'd know that I already answered this question numerous times.

Here are some links to what I already said on the issue:

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8129080&postcount=58

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8143927&postcount=121

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8143653&postcount=115

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8121202&postcount=22

Oh, and just to add, hopefully for the last damn time, we aren't trying to impose (your word) anything. The amalgamated name is for us. You don't like it? Don't use it. Simple as that.