How many European club finals have Portuguese teams been involved ?

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by vilafria, Dec 23, 2005.

1. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    To include all European club competitions i.e. CL, Uefa cup, Cup winners cup, Fairs cup ,& Champions cup.
    Any guesses ?

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    One thing that pops out is that only the three big ( SCP,SLB, & FCP ) teams have made it to the final and won at least one cup. :)

3. DiaboVermelho86

DiaboVermelho86 New Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    We've been to the Champions League Final 9 times, Benfica 7 times and Porto twice. And having won 4 out of those 9 times, twice for Benfica and twice for Porto.

We have 2 Uefa Cup Finals, 1 for Porto and 1 for Sporting, with only one victory for Porto.

Two Uefa Cup Winners' Cup, Sporting were champs once and Porto were Runners-up.

And lastly Leiria were Intertoto finalists once.

4. DiaboVermelho86

Jul 23, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Oh and one more. We have 3 Uefa Super Cup Finals, all played by Porto, with 1 win and twice runners-up.

5. metro fan

metro fan Member

Apr 29, 1999
    Union, NJ
    Benfica also has a UEFA cup final that they lost

6. Força Sporting

Sep 29, 2002
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Not too shabby for a supposedly small footballing nation, huh?!

7. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    not to shabby is right i think the kids up there just have a passion for playing soccer.

my dad was a pretty good soccer player but didnt have the passion he started off carpentry and then went to form his own business not bad from a guy from riberinha. :D

but thats all they know up there i guess.

8. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    you dont know jec....its those small futsal courts they put but between apartments in the barrios. Kids playing barefoot at whatever time. Then when they finally get to play in a league they got all those skills that can now be used in a much LARGER space....

Let me put it this way, the kids in the Barrios dont care about xbox....lol

9. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

me neither when i was growing up people wasted there money on atari and nintendo/super mario bros....

i was just starting to play soccer then developed well only not to be interested in it anymore i was 12 at the time.

in highschool i played collegiate soccer but our team sucked we had mostly spainish and italiens....i did well as a winger scored 8 goals.

then i fell in love with music and songwriting by 16 bought every thing you need to record.... MULTI-TRACK RECORDER,A MACKIE MIXER,DYNAMIC MIC,CASIO PIANO,M-AUDIO AND REDECORATED MY BASEMENT AS A STUDIO.

while most people would spend there money on drugs i spended it on this.

at my house was a nightmare>i got bitched at by my mom that the music was to loud and my whole block got pissed off almost called the cops.

but then i went to trebas institute got into it but realized i had more knowledge then the teachers who were helping me and from that point on created my own venture in being a dj.

thats when my cousin worked at a label got me signed and started gigs for unsigned bands that needed a dj.

so you can say SOCCER and MUSIC is mi vida.

im blessed and i take nothing for granted.not to mention i was broke as hell Ii had to stay at my cousins poolhouse in the summer and fall. :eek:

10. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    How much money you bringing in right now man? If you dont mind me asking of course.

11. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

depends if bands wanted to rent me or ask me to dj i would but only by verbal agreement.

i dont do contractual obligation to anyone.

right now im independent and me and my cousin are doing some gigs.

i almost did a show with mos def (rapper/actor)which meeting him was cool.but now im laying low and the hours are distasteful since im not at home that much but the money is there im not rich and its not fair to say that.

people now days think that anyone thats in the art and entertainment business make so much cash which is a farce.it depends if your image is marketable and you wanna sell your self to the riches.

i dont....im my own person plus being portuguese does have its perks alot of hot girls come around.

12. DiaboVermelho86

Jul 23, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    That's awesome. What kind of music do you do? Myself, I'm into trance & techno. I would love to learn how to dj, but I don't think I have the musical talent to be able to do something like that.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

check at the bottom of this post

14. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Portuguese teams have been in many finals

Benfica- ECC (Champions League): 7 Finals 2 Victories 2/5 (1961 1962) 5 Runner-up (1963, 1965, 1968, 1988, 1990)

1961 Benfica 3-2 Barcelona 1962 Benfica 5-3 Real Madrid

1963 Benfica 1-2 AC Milan,
    1965 Benfica 0-1 Inter
    1968 Benfica 1-4 Manchester United (A.E.T.)
    1988 Benfica 0-0 **PSV eindhoven (P.K. )
    1990 Benfica 0-1 AC Milan

UEFA CUP Runnerup
    Anderlecht 2-1 Benfica first leg: 1-0, Second leg 1-1

FC Porto - Champions league 2 Finals 2 Victories 2/2 (1987, 2004)

1987 FC Porto 2-1 Bayern Munchen
    2004 FC Porto 3-0 AS Monaco

1 UEFA Cup Champion - 2003
    1 Euro Super cup 1987 defeated Ajax

2 Intercontinental/Toyota/World Club Cup - 1987,2004)
    1987 FC Porto 2-1 Penarol (Uruguay)
    2004 FC Porto **0-0 Once Caldas (Colombia) (PK)

UEFA Cup-Winners-Cup Runner Up
    1983-1984 Juventus 2-1 FC Porto

Sporting Clube de Portugal-

1 UEFA Cup Winners Cup
    1963-1964 Sporting 4-3 MTK Budapest
    first leg : 3-3 second leg: 1-0

1 UEFA CUP Runner-Cup
    2005 Sporting 1-3 CSKA Moscow

--------------------------------------------------------------

Looking at this tells me one thing
    Portuguese teams have been to many finals we should be proud we are a small country, for example a nation like France doesnt even match us in club football european trophies/ finals and stuff.

Benfica has had some pretty piss poor luck in Finals since 1962.

Sporting is going to be the next team to add a European Trophy (Oh yes we will)

15. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ

don't forget the European Latin Cup before it turn to European Cup, later Champions League

Latin Cup starter it all, Benfica won it once, check at the bottom of this and all of my posts

16. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yeah. Frank didnt Sporting make the final of Latin cup once but I think they lost to Barcelona???

17. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    don't forget the U20, U18, U17
    2 World cups U20

Our A team
    the bronze medal in Euro 84
    the bronze medal in Euro 00
    the bronze medal in World Cup 66
    the Silver medal in the Euro 04

we shoud be proud of our country

18. jec1

jec1 Member

Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    frank's in the festive spirit.

19. DiaboVermelho86

Jul 23, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Tell me about it. We could've had 7 trophies, 2nd behind Real Madrid's 9 trophies, but instead we only have 2. Some say it's the curse of Bela Guttman, but hopefully I will get to see Benfica lift a European Trophy in my lifetime.

Umm, and guys the title says European Club finals. Some of you started posting international club titles and national team titles that are irrelevant to the thread's title. Just letting you know. :)

20. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
  21. Brian De Sousa

Brian De Sousa Red Card

Aug 10, 2004
    New Bedford, MA
    The list of teams they've lost don't look to shabby to me. Inter, Man United, AC Milan, and PSV. The final against Inter Milan took place in Milan with 80,000 in attendance. And the final against Man United took place in Wembley Stadium with 100,000 in attendance! Those look like some pretty tough road games to me.

Not everyone can face AS Monaco in the final. :cool:

22. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    at Inter, Costa Pereira gave up a frango, but a frango, we had to finish the game with 10 players no subs were allowed and Germano had to play for most of the second half in goal, after Costa Pereira was hurt

we also missed another final when we tied Ajax of Cruyftt 3-3 on aggregated and we lost the coin flip.
    yes coin flip :eek:

23. ---Z---

---Z--- Member+

Cagalhao
    Nov 2, 2005
    CAMPEAO
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    COIN FLIP AHHAAH OMG That is BRUTAL. we can add that to the list of Benfica cursed luck after 62

1963 ECC Final Wembly Stadium- Benfica was up 1-0 against AC Milan in the final with a Eusebio goal going for their third straight ECC win, then Mario Coluna got injured and befica had to play the rest of the game a man down and without Coluna who was integral to that team, holding down the midfield, playing infront of the back four a great Def Mid. Benfica lose 2-1, Altafini of Milan hits back with two counter attack goals, if Coluna was still there they may of held on to win.

1965 ECC Final San Siro stadium- playing Inter, in Inter's own stadium San Siro capacity crowd all cheering for Inter. game was rainy, the pitch was watter logged. Costa Perreira (Benfica GK) lets in a frango inbetween his legs from a low slow shot. Costa Perreira then gets injured, Benfica play rest of game again with 10 players and Germano the defender plays in goal for the rest of the match.

1968 ECC Final Wembly Stadium - again Benfica plays in Wembly against Manchester United, of course Wembly is in England so it is practically a Home Game for Manchester United with all England behind them. Game is tied 1-1 in last play of the game the Man UTD keeper makes a amazing save on Eusebio's shot to save the game for Man Utd. in Extra time Man U score 3 goals and crush benfica 4-1.

1988 PSV - PK loss, always hard. havent seen any footage of this game though.

1990 AC Milan- only lost 1-0 Milan was a devastating team, didnt see any footage of this game either.

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Yeah. I also didn't consider the Intertoto competition b/c there are actually 6 semi-finalists ( not really a final IMO) same reasoning for the Supercups (There's no actual competition).

BTW, without giving the actual # yet, suffices to say it's more than 10. :)

25. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I don't remember if it was with Barcelona, but they did make it to a final