How many club teams would the USMNT lose to?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by 21st Century Pele, Feb 27, 2015.

1. 21st Century Pele

Apr 16, 2014
    So, after watching some of the quarterfinals of the CONCACAF Champions League, I couldn't help but think that the USMNT would have serious trouble with some of the club teams from a not so spectacular region. Obviously, the MNT would struggle mightily against most of the UEFA Champions League regulars (as would most national teams). At this point, I think we'd have a tough time against the likes of Saprissa and America. Thoughts?

2. Skevin

Skevin Member+

Aug 9, 2009
    Colorado
    Club:
    Aston Villa FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Czechia
    Struggle to even stay in the Premier League

It's a harsh reality, but national teams are typically a lot worse than most club teams.

3. Susaeta

Susaeta BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 3, 2009
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All of them.

4. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In CONCACAF? Probably not a lot, IMO. I don't think Saprissa or America would beat our full-strength national squad.

5. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Saprissa? Really?

Year to year I think the top one to two Mexican teams would generally be an interesting test.

6. chrome_vapors

chrome_vapors Member+

Oct 15, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was with you at first but the more I think about it I really don't think we'd have much of a probelm avoiding relegation.

Biggest factor in surviving the Prem or any other 38 match campaign is depth. You afford us the top 30-35 players in our pool and I really think the USMNT stays up 9 times out of 10.

Finishing at or near mid table is a different story all together.

7. dna77054

dna77054 Member+

Jun 28, 2003
    houston
    Interesting thought experiment. Obviously the familiarity within a club as opposed to a national team would be an obstacle. Also the form of the NT can vary wildly. I have not been able to follow Concacaf as much as I would have liked in the last couple of years to pontificate on today, but I do think that Pachuca of a few years ago would have been too much for us. That was one well oiled high quality soccer machine. IIRC Pachuca's coach ?Meza? had previously "failed" with the MexNT, but after seeing what he did in Pachuca, I think he just did not have enough concentrated time with their NT to get them playing that rather intricate game. Facing Santos' (couple of years ago) high octane multipronged offense would have been interesting, especially considering they were more of a quick transition team than the more possession style Mexican teams that we are used to playing.

I think whatever wins our NT would achieve against the top few Concacaf club teams would likely be rather ugly wins. Defend, be physical, set piece header.

8. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Most national teams would struggle against "elite" Champions League teams.

If a club team doesn't have a left back, they can sign one. National teams can't conjure up players outside of the pool.

Chelsea beats England every day of the week, and three times on Sunday.