How many Americans actually know Brasilians speak Portuguese?

Discussion in 'Brazil NSR' started by R9magia, May 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    You could also say the same when a Spanish speaker and a Portuguese speaker try to have a conversation.

2. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not really. I tried to make clear that it is not a conscious effort. Spanish and Portuguese speakers require much more of a conscious effort to even begin to do that.

I'm talking about how people transition form one sociolect or dialect to another within their own language without even knowing it.

3. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    You'll need studies to back up that claim.:)

Personally, I don't see how you can even do it sub-conciously because it takes too many steps: listen, process, compare, speak, listen , process, compare, etc.
    At each stage, unlike in a familiar sounded/pronounced speech, you'll have the added task of stoppage and a real conscious effort to produce both recognizable incoming and outgoing words to carry on a dialogue.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nah he has a good valid point Villafria. One just has to look how one would talk with a business client opposed to speaking with his "dudes" from the neighborhood. Structure, sound, and words may very well change depending on the situation.

5. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Internacional Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    That proves nothing. I have correntinos and castelhano friends that "if i dont know something i ask or vice versa."

In portugueses case nobody is talking about just a simple case of different accents, you guys say plenty of things that people in Brasil dont even kno hat it means.

6. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    yeah right...

you guys might like to change "camisola ..." at the end of the game

aahahaha

fine???

7. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    But you fully understand what it means don't you.

8. Mengão86

Mengão86 Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Brazil
    Nov 16, 2005
    Maryland, RJ/ES/PE
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    CG is right when he says you use lots of words that we have no idea what it means. My mom has a Portuguese friend that lives close by and one day when they were going on vacation, they wanted me to watch over the house and cut the "relva." I had no idea what they were talking about, so I had to dust off my mom's Aurélio and look it up and found it out that it was grass, or "grama" in Brazilian Portuguese. Another one I remember is "bibeirão" instead of "mamadeira."

9. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Of course he is right. The language has evolved.

Its the same when I went to France, I asked for a bottle of water at a local store. The cashier had no idea what I was saying...lol. This was in part because the French I have learned is from Quebec.

Such examples can also be found in the English language as well, also in the Spanish language.

10. devilman

devilman Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Houston,Tx.
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Gaucho no matter what, the language as a whole is from the same place as your ancestors are from; Portugal!!! hahaha ,But obviously if you or anyone who knows about the differnt dialects within Brazil or even Cabo Verde,Angola or madre Portugal should grasp an understanding of even the most basic of conversations unless your a dummy wich I know your not...
    .....it's like my buddy from Goiania used to say when id ask him how he felt about Portugal ; "Portuguese Portuguese push push".....;)

11. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yes I do, but I also know what the german word Donaudampfschiffahrtsgesellschaftskapitän means so what does that prove? Tell camisola to a Brasilian and 99.99 % will think of a night gown.

12. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Devilman you are mistaken.

The language as a whole is actually from Latin, and that's how I choose to see it. I can have such small vision as to think that our ancestry resumes to a couple of centuries old country. We have far more legacy in this world than that. And since that root language is common to many more people I enjoy the fact I can communicate with Italians, spanish and french people as well, who cares about the portuguese? They are less than the people on my state alone, so insignificant. I'd rather have a bigger reach.

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    That's where you cross the line buddy. Portuguese aren't insignificant . You're a racist to say the least. This whole thread is about the language but you keep on this subtopic.

14. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

although I agree that ColoradoGaucho is racist against portuguese, I guess in this particular post what he really meant is that Portugal´s population is insignificant, numerically speaking.

Meaning that 10 million people is an insignificant number compared to the total, and in this sense, the population of Rio Grande do Sul state (10.9 million people) is also insignificant.

15. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    lol....good come back, but thats the thing though. Rio Grande do Sul is a state...Portugal is a country! I have heard figures that there are more Portuguese descendent's living outside Portugal in the Americas then there are in the mainland...which is sad.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I tried to be accommodating to his stance, and not make a personal attack , but I disagree with your assessment, "I enjoy the fact I can communicate with Italians, spanish and french people as well, who cares about the portuguese? They are less than the people on my state alone, so insignificant." phrases pretty much leaves no doubt in my mind as to his frame of thinking. I personally don't have anything against Brazilians or their language, but this douche bag stands out as a racist.

17. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    There are plenty of studies. I was doing French Lit in undergrad and starting taking linguistics courses and moved towards that. Most of my practical examples will come from French.

But to start out - all of the stuff you mentioned above really does happen unconsciously. Think about it, when you're a kid and you learn new words you automatically know how to pluralize them, conjugate them and derive related words from them. (See the Wug Test).

When you speak to a different audience you also automatically change the way you speak, it may seem obvious and conscious when, say, at work or school you stand in front of an audience and make a presentation.

So on to practical examples.

In French (and I'm referring to Standard European French here, so I don't know if this applies to the phonology of French Canadian) the /l/ is often dropped in lower registers of speech - such as casual conversation. So the word "il" is often pronounced "i". As a French learner, or even a native speaker, you might not even notice you do it, but I guarantee you do.

A corresponding example in Brazilian Portuguese would be the r (of course there are 3 r's in European Portuguese and in Standard Brazilian Portuguese, but they all change slightly in lower registers - in my dialect I think one disappears entirely). An r is less trilled in casual speech and instead moves further back (sounding an awful lot like an h to non-Portuguese speakers). But when you speak more standard Portuguese, the r is pronounced differently.

Anyways, people can make these changes on a conscious level, but they happen unconsciously too. Two people who speak different dialects of Portuguese will automatically move closer to their standard dialect when speaking to a stranger making it easier for them to understand each other.

18. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Like "porra"....The Brasillians that I know kind of pronounce it....."poha". Heard it in movies from Brasil too.

19. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    You fail to understand that more important fact that before being "portuguese descendent's" they are in fact BRASILEIROS.

So again, I can choose to communicate with millions in latin america, europe and elsewhere or resume myself to trying to understand the people of a country that is smaller than parana?

20. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Like I said it before.

hundreds of millions or 10 million ?

You fail to see the bigger picture here, and leave the personal attacks out of the conversation. If you can't then walk away.

21. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Why the hell are you quoting me. That post was going along with your point view. Also, regarding the descendent's comment, you must be close minded. The United States of America, Canada, Venezuela all have large Portuguese populations...not only Brasil.

22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Wow, just found this thread. I knew Brazilians spoke Portuguese from a very early age. However, most of my American countrymen are geographically ignorant, to put it mildly. They cause me great amusement.

23. Chess_Panther

Chess_Panther Member+

Apr 29, 2007
    Porto, Portugal
    So you're saying that you rather talk with people from countries that have a large population? You mean countries like China, Russia, India, etc?
    So you're a guy that rather rely on quantity than the context of the country itself? That makes little sense if none...after all, you're not going to talk with millions but only a few. You're obviously trying to bring up some sort of correlation but failing miserably. In fact, I'm expecting you to reply predictably so that I can counter with very strong facts. I dare you to do it, for my amusement.

You obviously have something against the portuguese. When you keep on bringing irrelevant arguments you're only exposing that hatred even more.

Pathetic to say the least.

24. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Maybe he's a mulatto or a mestizo that had a Portuguese male ancestor that rapped the non-Portuguese female ancestor, and decided that was enough to make himself a beacon of anti-Portuguese rancor or racism . Whatever Colorado_GAUCHO dude, you don't hate a whole group of people or nation based on one bad apple.

25. Colorado_GAUCHO

Nov 16, 2004
    Porto Alegre-BRASIL
    Club:
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    What context?

portuguese music is lame, the food sucks, their wine is piss and the women are butt ugly (God bless the descendent's that got mixed in Brasil otherwise they would look like shit). So what portugal has to offer? I'd rather be in Buenos Aires any day than in lisbon.

As for the quantity I've lived in NYC and I had the chance to meet and interact with many italian/spanish/french people there and I've only met one portuguese lady (she is nice and all but she's very into Brasil so I guess that's why). Also I've to Europe several times (never to portugal) and the same applies there.