How long will we keep EJ?

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by drace768, Nov 18, 2004.

1. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    EJ will go to Europe, the only question is when. EJ has two more years on his contract, so MLS will need to sell him with at least a year left on his contract to get decent money for him. However, with his fantastic play with the USMNT, and his training stints with Man U and PSV Eindhoven this winter, will he make it through this January's transfer window?

I hope we get to keep him for one more season, but young athletic strikers can draw large transfer fees. It's conceivable that someone makes MLS an offer they can't refuse this January or next summer.

2. GoldFinger

GoldFinger New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    EJ might not want to go to Europe this year in order to stay in Arena's plans for 2006. That might be the only thing keeping him in FCD colors.

3. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    when is he going to PSV?

4. leedsfan2004

leedsfan2004 New Member

Oct 26, 2004
    Gainesville, FL
    I think EJ will improve his status on the US MNT if he goes over to Europe. There are a bunch of teams in England that need strikers.

5. drace768

drace768 New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    Dallas, TX
    He trains with Man U for 2 weeks then to PSV for 2 weeks, I am looking for the link to post it.

6. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FC Dallas needs strikers as well. Grown Ass Man is in Dallas due in part on recommendations from BA. He'll play for FCD one more season.

7. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your confusing him with Gibbs. GAM has been in Dallas since he was GAB.

8. Balonpie

Balonpie Member

Apr 27, 2004
    Scenic Carrollton
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stand Corrected. Usuck allocation..

9. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    After 5 goals in 3 games in WCQ I think EJ is well entrenched in BA's plans for 2006.....he needn't worry about falling off the radar anymore. I think it is entirely possible for MLS to get some inquiries about him in January. If the situation is right for him....and at this point it seems like he wants to play regularly, so one of the big teams probably wouldn't be an option.....then he might go. However, its probably more likely that we see EJ in a FCD uniform come April with some offers coming during the summer window.

10. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he stays with FC Dallas 96, he knows he will get the calls. If he goes overseas and doesn't get to play (for whatever reason - change in coaches, poor training, not fittting in to the new country, etc.) then he loses that chance.

My guess is that he will play one more season in MLS, then start looking after '05. By that time, he will have either earned a starting spot with the nats or not. If he has earned a starter's spot, then he can risk going overseas. Until then....

Don't confuse starting last night with a regular starting spot. If he goes cold in the next few months, he could lose the luster. (No, I don't see it happening - but it is possible.)

My take? I think he goes into any non-WCQ as a potential starter, and is named to any WCQ roster - and whoever might be in front of him better bring their "A" game. With some more experience, by the time we get to July, he will probably have earned a starting spot from whoever is up front with McBride.

Mainly he has to do three things - learn how to play with Landon more (did you see they weren't on the same page a few times last night?), cut down on inexperience-mistakes, and be consistent. All within his grasp. It *should* only be a matter of time.

I did like to see him coming back to the ball last night - if he continues to do that.... Basically, he has freed Bruce from needing to play Landon up top. All Fast Eddie has to do now is show that he is better than the other slashers - Wolff, etc. There is some experience there, but not enough that he can't overcome it with game time. Personally, I hope EJ gets the Landon Treatment from Bruce - play him every chance he gets. You'll see him continue to grow in leaps and bounds.

:)

BTW, loved seeing the backflip last night.

11. texgator

texgator New Member

Oct 28, 2003
    Plano
    That's why I stated he will only go over in the right situation, one in which he is likely to get major minutes. He knows now that going to Europe and not playing is useless.

12. Native Aztexan

Jan 27, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If he continues his good form with the USMNT and an European club is desperate for a strike like him, I would say 1 more year. Other then that, he would be bound to Europe after two seasons. Also EJ needs time to adjust a different climate and playing styles overseas once he gets his feet in there. So his time in Europe and his time with the USA will have to be adjusted.

13. SgtSchultz

SgtSchultz Member

Jul 11, 2001
    Parts Unknown
    Eddie should stay for at least one more year. Since the GAM is extremely talented, the league can afford to wait. In all probability, they won't lose any money if they sell him after next season. The league owes Dallas. A stadium has been built and having the GAM for one season could help attendance at ULHWA. Eddie wasn't gifted to Dallas and we should be rewarded for developing him.