How long until Toronto FC overtakes the Jays in popularity?

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by TorFC-TML, Jun 21, 2007.

1. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Seeing as FC is sold out for the entire season and it seems interest in the team is increasing at a rapid pace, how long until Toronto FC is this city's number 1 summer sport, and number 2 overall (behind the Leafs)?

Already the atmosphere at FC games is leagues above anything the Argos or Jays have ever had (or the Leafs for that matter).

In 4-5 years time, if FC is a success on the field, and BMO gets it's very neccesary 10K capacity increase they could be the second most lucrative franchise in Toronto (behind the Leafs of course).

I think it is only a matter of time before FC is recognized by most if not all media outlets as the 2nd most important and popular franchise in Toronto.

2. Mississauga FC

Mississauga FC New Member

May 30, 2007
    Well, you'll never really prove that to the Argos. They still cling to the fact that they are the still the most popular event in the city, drawing on average 35,000 people. Only the Jays could match that (due to venue size), but obviously haven't since they were breaking record in the early 90's.

I agree TFC will be #2. I really hope nobody in their right mind has the nerve to honestly believe that they will surpass the Leafs as number one (at very minimum in the next 10 years).

3. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto
    To be honest I think it'll be years (if not decades) until TFC overtakes the Jays in popularity. You're talking about a team that's been around now for 3 generations. If the 94 strike didn't kill the Jays I don't think the TFC will right off the bat either.

I'm not a baseball fan but I haven't met a senior citizen who isn't! Not to mention Jays fans in every corner of Canada. Not to say there aren't TFC fans in every corner also, but until we have TFC for a generation or two I don't see them overtaking the Jays...and this is coming from a die-hard TFC fan who can care less about baseball!

4. Mississauga FC

Mississauga FC New Member

May 30, 2007
    Hahahahha...very good point. I never thought of that...but it's true! Well, when they (gracefully) die off....the wave of euro generations will take over, and they are soccer fans. im sure there will be a changing of the guard. but you're right, might take some years.

5. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    I like TFC and all, but this is just a silly statement. Have you been to the Argos-Ticats games when the teams are battling for first? How about the Jays back in their penant drives?

How about we worry about moving into fifth overall before we try for second or first?

6. shjon

shjon New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Oh gee (oh gee)
    F-C (F-C)
    Let's (let's)
    Kick (kick)
    Balls!

7. Reds YNWA

Reds YNWA New Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Burlington
    The Jays:eek:

A bunch of overpaid bums playing a sport you have to be drunk to enjoy (insert simpsons quote here)
    TFC will rule in 5 years time.......and please don't mention the argos:rolleyes:

8. Wangy

Wangy New Member

Feb 3, 2007
    Toronto
    The Jays have been around for 3 decades...not generations. You might be thinking of teams like the Cubs or Yankees.

9. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Admittedly I wasnt around for the Jays runs (I watched em on TV, but I was like 7 years old) but thats 15 years ago. The Skydome has never reached that level since. Ive been to sold out home openers and they were great, but not as lively as an FC games.

I went to an Argos'-Bombers game last season, I had great seats, and I can say it was far an away the most boring sporting event I have ever been to.

I honestly believe its only a matter of time until FC is #2.

There are alot of Jays fans (im one), but as has been said, they arent exactly the liveliest people in sports. Mostly seniors.

I dont know a single Argos fans; And I've lived my whole life in Toronto. Ive simply never met anybody who indentified themselves as an Argo fan. Nearly everyone I know likes the NFL at least a little, but I dont know anyone who gives a rats ass about the Argos.

10. shjon

shjon New Member

Jan 16, 2007
    Or, he may have meant 3 Utah generations.

11. TheChoker

TheChoker Member

May 6, 2007
    Toronto
    My grandfather (80), my dad (54) and me (34)...that's 3 generations of baseball fans...not to mention my 4 year old.

12. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    Im not really implying the Jays are going to lose fans to FC.

I always have, and always will be a Jays fan.

As well, the two sports really arent in direct competition at all. FC will have 20 or so home dates all year, whereas the Jays have at least 82 (or whatever number it is).

Basically what im saying (and hoping for I guess) is that in a year or two we are going to see Toronto FC highlights before we see all the out of town baseball and NASCAR highlights.

13. TFCSteve

TFCSteve Member

Apr 16, 2007
    Toronto
    I think I have OCD. I cannot read that post (refering to the TFC as just FC) without wringing my hands.

14. T.Reds

T.Reds New Member

May 18, 2007
    Toronto
    When all the babyboomers are in their graves. Just my theory.

15. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    I dont know what to call them when im referring to them and another Toronto based franchise. When im talking about them I usually only say Toronto (they way Liverpool fans dont call their club LFC or Liverpool FC).

I dont want to call them Toronto, and the Toronto Blue Jays just the Jays. I thought it sounded strange. And I hate referring to them as TFC repeatedly in a post.:D

16. TFC21

TFC21 New Member

May 22, 2007
    Toronto Ribfest's
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Hate the Jays the way ROBBERS jacks up their internet cable cellphone and homephone prices to pad the pockets of already filthy rich ballplayers. Stealing from the poor to feed the rich? That's a pretty good way to jinx your luck! No wonder they suck.

Baseball is brutally boring...TFC is well on it's way to surpassing the BlowJays in popularity.

17. crazypete13

crazypete13 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 7, 2007
    A walk from BMO
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    A little too early to say - but I like the thought...

The skydome in the late 80's and early 90's was 50k every night and tickets scarce as Leafs tickets. TFC ain't there yet.

I think the city and MLSE will expand the stadium more slowly until they know how strong TFC demand is, in 4,5 years I'd be surprised if they did any more than infill of a couple thousand seats.

I like your outlook - but until our TV numbers are close to the Jays and Raps I think 4th is more realistic.

I agree baseball can be slow - but that's part of the allure, for most baseball fans - and I consider myself one - there are as many nuances as a soccer game to make it enjoyable. I won't disagree with the overpaid comment :D.

I can think of many families where the kids, parents and grandparents are all fans.

As someone who has played and is a fan of all five of the major sports in Toronto I hope that all of the teams succeed and am happy lending my support to all.

18. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto

My sentiments exactly.

Really im just looking for more TV coverage, and that is something that will take time.

19. Camcamy

Camcamy New Member

Apr 14, 2007
    Toronto
    LOL :D :D :D

20. OssingtonMentalYouf

OssingtonMentalYouf New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Earlscourt, Toronto
    Who really cares? In a city of 2.5 million (plus all the suburbs) there will always be 1,000's of Jays fans, 1,000's of Raptors fans, and 1,000's of TFC supporters. Measuring who's #2 who's #3 etc is nothing if not impossible, and frankly quite pointless.

As well comparing the atmosphere at baseball, CFL, hockey, basketball, and footy is like comparing apples and oranges. Completely different sports with completely different supporter ethos.

All I know is that I'm TFC till I die!

21. Haynes

Haynes New Member

Jun 7, 2007
    Toronto
    Never mind the Leafs. My view is Toronto will always be a hockey town. What about the NHL as a whole though? I heard some suggestions that because of the NHL's struggles in the US, perhaps ice hockey will be relegated to a position behind the MLS in the overall North American sports hierarchy at some point in the future. Any thoughts?

22. TorFC-TML

TorFC-TML New Member

May 5, 2007
    Toronto
    There is no doubt in my mind that MLS will surpass the NHL in the US. Especially if the NHL stays on VS. and doesnt get a TV deal with ESPN.

MLS will be bigger than the NHL by the next World Cup.

23. Scotland the brave

Scotland the brave New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Toronto (WOOHOO)
    To be honest i think that the only reason people would go to a baseball game is to sleep, i just cant stand it!!!!!

If i am being honest i count it as an american sport (sorry guys) so maybe that factor will help soccer to take over the city.

But to be honest when i was in toronto in March i was more impressed with theaky dome than BMO, mind you BMO was still under construction!!!

24. Khaleeji

Khaleeji New Member

Apr 7, 2007
    Bahrain
    Here's a slightly different perspective: for those of us from 'out-of-town' TFC is climbing quickly towards being #3 behind the Jays and the Raptors for the most-followed Cdn team. That will change if the MLS expands to Montreal or Vancouver but for now you have it over the Leafs or Argos, but if the sports programs do their job right and show TFC highlights as part of their regular program, we're there.

I have to say though, I'm a huge baseball fan. In the rural areas of Canada you'll find there are a lot of us, because that's what we did all summer when we were not in school. Small towns, I think you'll find the same thing- baseball is #1. Bigger population centres, soccer takes precedent for summer leagues participation perhaps. It will be interesting to see if the rural areas take to soccer in the next decade or not.