How Likely Do You Rate the Chances of a US military Confrontation with Iran?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Iranian Monitor, Nov 28, 2004.

1. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    :eek:

2. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Go complain to a mod, then, because if you're not willing to admit even the possibility that Iran sees nuclear deterrence as an issue, you're contributing less than nothing here.

3. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Karl,

I have read globalsecurity's analysis. It is outdated and misinformed in some key respects. Studies by both the Pentagon as well as many in the private sector have thrown cold water on the idea that the military option is attractive at all in dealing with Iran's program. Certainly, unless Iran's regime has indeed been foolish enough to declare all of its nuclear facilities, the very possiblity that Iran has duplicated its most sensitive programs itself presents a deterrent.

There are different avenues to producing nuclear weapons. The plutonium route is not the urgent issue that the US faces with regard to Iran's program. Hence, the nuclear reactors at Bushehr and the heavy water reactor in Arak aren't an immediate proliferation concern. The immediate proliferation concern is Iran's ability to enrich uranium and use that avenue to build a bomb. While the declared facilities are theoretically ones that might be taken out by air strikes, uranium centrifuges can easily be hidden in a number of locations and are virtually impossible to detect without accurate intelligence. If you don't get that part of Iran's program, any attack would merely give Iran the pretext to exit the NPT and quickly build the bomb.

In any case, there are numerous political, military, and geopolitical considerations that show that a military strike against Iran is a very unattractive option to the US. As for Israel, they don't have even have the military capability to make much of a dent in Iran's program. That much is well understood by practically all analysis. In fact, the only reason I can't totally rule out an Israeli strike is because any such attack could be merely a way for the Israelis to drag the US into a conflict with Iran given the likely retaliation that will ensue from the Iranian side (which will blame the US regardless given that Israel can't even reach Iran without a US green light).

All this would not achieve much if the technological know how is left in tact, as all these facilities can be rebuilt quickly even if they have all been declared. This time, they will be built with the avowed aim of producing nuclear weapons, hidden in secret locations, and rushing towards that goal without the constraints and limitations imposed under the current NPT regime.

4. 352klr

352klr Member+

Jan 29, 2001
    The Burgh of Edin
    That's the problem. There's no way for the South to prevent massive casualties on its side in the first week of battle. A surprise attack by the DPRK would level Seoul before anyone had a chance to evacuate the city. It's an ugly situation. The best we can hope for is for Dear Leader to fall off Mt.Paetku while frolicking and waiting for a rainbow to come out, and for whomever his replacement is to be a reasonable person who will make steps towards unification. And that's about as likely as W. giving a joint interview with David Gregory and Helen Thomas to list all the mistakes he's made.

Dave-My wisdom is only surpassed by my ignorance. Who would be the grasshopper?

5. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    BtW, let me add two more points.

First, one of the reasons Iran's revolutionary guards authorized Hezbollah to fly an Iranian made UAV into Israeli airspace was to call the bluff of Israel. If an Israeli strike against Iran was so practical, it would have been done already! Iran certainly has given Israel enough pretexts: far more than what many of the Palestianians that Israelis leave homeless regularly despite international norms and international law!

Iran openly and avowedly supports Hezbollah. Hezbollah, in fact, was founded by Iran, is funded by Iran, receives direction from Iran, and is armed by Iran. While Iran doesn't have the same degree of influence over Hamas, it certainly funds that organization as well. So what has prevented Israeli from attacking Iran's programs up to now?

Again, if Israel ever dares to attack Iran, it will be to invite a larger conflict between Iran and the US. On its own, Israel's only real deterrent against Iran is its nuclear force. Otherwise, Iran is too far away, and its facilities too well protected, for the number of Israeli aircraft available for such a mission to damage the widely dispersed facilities thousands of miles away from Israel.

Second point. All of Iran's declared uranium enrichment faciliites rely on the outdated P1 centrifuges. Yet, the evidence is clear that Iran has all the know how, the blue prints, and has done the necessary research, to build P2 centrifuges. In fact, Iran has even shown the ability to enrich uranium through lasers, which can skip several of the steps towards enrichment. Now, why would Iran build its uranium enrichment program around less sophisticated centrifuges when it has more sophisticated ones within its grasp? Some think that is because Iran's declared facilities are indeed just a decoy. You get them, and all you get is a decoy.

6. BenReilly

BenReilly New Member

Apr 8, 2002
    I'm reluctant to throw this thread completely off course, but just because Israel hasn't reacted, doesn't mean it can't or won't. Israel would pay a heavy diplomatic and possibly military price for attacking Iran. It makes sense to wait until it's absolutely necessary. In the meantime, Mossad is active in Iran.

7. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    Really? "Nuclear deterrence?

You know, if they want to deter us, all they have to do is institute democratic reforms and stop funding terrorist organizations.

But again, that's a lot harder than implying, or even explicitly making, excuses for them, an enterrpise that some around here seem to merrily engage in.

You think the ability to talk yourself into a course of action based on faulty premises is limited to the United States? Of course, because after all, we're the bad boy in all this.

Meanwhile, just think Dr. Strangelove (gee, did that ever ACTUALLY happen in the USA?) with the characters speaking Farsi and dressed in Mullah robes.

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
  9. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    here we go - welcome to superdave's world of democratic nuclear weapons.

10. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    okay - I will tell you what .....

there is about a zero chance this will happen for purely military reasons - it is too friggin hard to invade Iran and we are not going to conduct pinprick military missile attacks - so it just will not happen.

It has about as much chance of happening as Muslim immigrants overpopulating European nations does.

11. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999

Wonder how many poor Iranians could be fed if the hardliners shut down the nuclear facilities and concentrated on taking care of the indigent? Look at the satellite nighttime imagery of North Korea and ask yourself about the pitiful state of that country and its focus on weaponry.

Give me a friggin break.

12. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    never happen - China does not want mega death in their region - not in their interests and it simply will not happen.

13. Karl K

Karl K Member

Oct 25, 1999
    Suburban Chicago
    I don't think Global Security is advocating an attack. I think they are just laying out options.

My understanding is that the Pentagon has already war-gamed a number of scenarios where we, or the Iraelis, or the two of together take out key facilities. The consequences these wargames lead to are supposedly very very ugly.

Meanwhile, an agreement has been reached -- if you could really call it an agreement -- for Iran to suspend all of its uranium enrichment activities.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/29/international/middleeast/29cnd-iran.html

where it's "agreement" is a "a voluntary, non-legally-binding confidence-building measure."

Uh, ok.

And then this.

The United States, which allowed the resolution to be passed, made no effort to hide its disappointment and anger. In a nine-page statement read after the resolution passed, Jackie Wolcott Sanders, the head of the American delegation, accused Iran of deceit and the agency board of irresponsibility...

Britain, France and Germany were eager to salvage a hard-fought agreement with Iran earlier this month that requires Tehran to suspend all uranium enrichment activities in exchange for possible rewards.

The European trio negotiated hard with the Iranians over the past week and finally persuaded them on Sunday evening to back off a demand to operate 20 sophisticated centrifuge machines for research purposes.

In exchange, the Europeans, who led the negotiations on the resolution, succumbed to Iranian demands that it be substantially watered down to reflect Iran's insistence that it was freezing its programs as a voluntary, confidence-building measure and not because of outside pressure or coercion.

The face-saving solution for both sides was celebrated with Champagne Sunday night at the residence of French ambassador to the agency, one participant said. The Iranians drank water.

Bottoms up everybody!!!

14. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    Karl - the problem is that a significant number of the posters refuse to see the reality of the situation and would prefer to bury their heads in the sand and prefer to explain it all away as somebody else's fault. As things stand presently - hard line Islam sees the destruction of Israel as the ONLY solution. And we stand four square in their corner.

Situation is that we are not going to invade Iran and any confrontation will not be pinprick aerial assaults. For the foreseeable future we are going to work with the situation in Iraq and Afghanistan as it stands and approach Iran just like the Soviets in the Cold War - containment - and let it rot from the inside out - there is no other reasonable current approach. And we will rely on China to control North Korea.

15. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    Whether you or I think we're the bad guys is not the point. The point is getting Iran to believe your second paragraph. I'm willing to grant the Dr. Strangelove-in-Farsi premise - all the more reason it will be difficult for them to take our word for it, however you feel about our actions next door.

In fact, our actions next door probably have delighted Ayatollah Turgidson more than anyone on the planet. I also doubt anyone in Tehran is under the impression that the US is capable of invading Iran at this point - is there a government on earth, including Washington and Allawi's Baghdad, that knows better how the war in Iraq is actually going?

16. Dan Loney

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    This seems accurate, but why those scenarios are good for the United States is baffling to me.

What I would do - and no one in the world is asking me, I realize that - is try to do a Nixon-in-China deal with Iran, and welcome them back into the world of nations. Offer a lift of sanctions. In other words, cave like Carlsbad. If Libya can be rehabilitated, so can Iran. If we're going to be optimistic about a democratizing Iran, let's get in on the ground floor. And I'd honestly rather have Iran have a bigger voice in the region than the House of Saud - Iran isn't totally co-opted by AQ, and Iran doesn't have the historical hatred of Israel that every other country in the region does. It probably won't hurt to try, because malignant neglect will see them become a regional nuclear power in any case.

North Korea to me seems more likely to rot from within, and we can hope for the happy ending we got in East Germany. I'd much, much, much, much rather have a united nuclear Korea than giving China any ideas about a Greater East Asia Co-Prosperity Sphere.

17. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Dan Loney,

Your policy prescription about what to do with Iran is very sound. I wish the US would follow that course, as it would benefit both nations. I am not suggesting such a course would be easy, as there are political considerations on each side that would hamper and throw obstacles on the path you suggest.

That said, let me correct some misconception about "AQ" and Iran. Regardless of whether there has been any tactical cooperation between some elements in the regime in Iran and "AQ", rest assured that no group in Iran (not even the hardliners) have any affection for that organization. There are numerous religious, cultural, and political reasons for it. Iran is the one country in the region, where across the political spectrum, the rants of someone like OBL has absolutely no resonance.

In this regard, besides the fact that the sunnis Wahabis who have fed the ranks of AQ are vehemently "anti-Shia", leaving aside the history of bad blood between this regime and AQ and its sponsors, even forgetting the many acts of terrorism, assasination and murder committed against Iranians in Pakistan, Afgahnistan, and elsewhere by this organization when no one bothered to take note of them in the West, the cultural divide between Iran and what that groups represents is too wide to ever be bridged.

In its early years, "Arab" Islam lost to Iranian Islam. The Islam that emerged eventually is what is referred to as Iranian Islam. Iranian Islam, even under the Sunni cloak, was wholly different than the puritanical Islam which only survived in Arabia and among the Arab desert nomads elsewhere. Even after Iran became a shia state in the 16th century, further moving away from much of the Moslem world, and even after we were engaged in bitter wars with the sunni Ottoman Turks, the fact remains that the version of Islam being propogated even by the Ottomans was "Iranian Islam". Even among Iran's most reactionary "conservatives", there is nothing but disdain and cultural contempt for the Wahabi Arabs and their ilk in AQ, whose religious dogma is centered around ridding Islam of its Iranian influences and taking it back to its nomadic puritanical origins.

Besides a possible temporary marriage of convenience at the tactical level, which is even hard to digest even for the hardliners, there is never going to be any "AQ" influence in Iran.

18. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Bernard Lewis is undoubtedly the preeminent scholar of Islamic history, even if I regret that in his old age, on the political front, he chose to lend his enormous scholarship on behalf of neoconservatives. BTW, BenReilley might be proud to know that this great scholar is Jewish. Anyway, let me post an excerpt from his lecture entitled "Iran in History" to butress the point I was making in my last post.

It is this "Iranian Islam" that Wahabism sought to combat, both in its sunni and more so in its shia persuasions. That is why Iran is the last place to find any real Wahabi or AQ sympathisers.

19. Section106

Section106 Member

May 1, 2003
    Hampton,VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Iranian Monitor, even though I have my theories about Bushcorp's true nature, I'd like to know if you think the classic struggle between Arabian and Iranian Islam is fueling Bush's rhetoric given his ties to the House of Saud?

20. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    monkey gong

21. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The irony is, this is pretty much the same demands that AQ makes on us.

But we're sticking with shock'n'awe.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ant is in awe of even the anteater's intellect.

23. Dr Jay

Dr Jay BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 7, 1999
    Newton, MA USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly.

The success of this containment is predicated on a positive outcome in Iraq and Afghanistan - ie. the emergence of stable, democratic governments.

Should a religious theocracy with close ties to Iran become the ruling junta in Iraq, than our options really become limited - large scale regional war or total capitulation with the possibility of nuclear blackmail by the mullahs.

24. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, they'd have to do it on their own if they did. There is absolutely no way that Blair would go along with this one and there's nobody else likely to help. In the case of Iraq many on the British left felt it something worth doing to help the Iraqi people in the long run. There is absolutely no way that claim can be made about Iran.

My guess? Ain't gonna happen.

25. btousley

btousley New Member

Jul 12, 1999
    First Dave - I don't believe any of this scenario is "good" for the US - it is just reality. We have to deal with Iran as it is - and North Korea also (as we have for some time). National security is always about the best available option.

In terms of Carlsbadding Iran - I would never do that - the Soviets caved not because we did but because their system rotted from the inside out - and no capitulation by the US changed that. I might also argue that Libya did not change because the US came with our hand of friendship outstretched offering them tea and honey. No I think old Mohammar wants to hand down something of value when he croaks and realizes his failures to date.

I do however agree with you about Iran's importance in the region - the fundamentalists certainly know that if Iran and Iraq ever become democratic and heaven forbid slightly secular - they are screwed. Don't think they will let that happen without a major fight - as Iraq should show all of us.

Yep - Iran is all about containment and diplomatic dancing and economic pressures.