How it's possible a MLS with 40 Clubs and only 32 Games...

Discussion in 'MLS: Commissioner - You be The Don' started by Paulo PT, Oct 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    After ENDING NASL...

Division 1 - Major League Soccer. 40 Clubs. Championship and Cup. 32 games.
    Division 2 - National League Soccer. 80 Clubs: 40 "B" Clubs + 40 Affiliated Clubs. 4 ConferenceX20 Clubs. 38 games + Playoffs (Championship). US Open Cup only with D2 clubs.

MLS Championship
    1st Phase: 40 Clubs. 4 Conferences: East, West, Central and South - 10 clubs each conference. 18 games. (March until June)
    2nd Phase (A): National. 1st and runner-up from each Conference: 8 clubs. 14 games. (July until October)

MLS Cup
    1st Phase (B): 32 Clubs. 4 Conferences - 8 clubs each conference. 14 games. (July until October)
    2nd Phase: 16 clubs. 8 clubs (A) + 8 clubs (1st stage) (November)

2nd Phase
    R1- Conference Semi-finals: 16 clubs
    1st B VS 2nd A | 2nd B VS 1st A (home and away)

R2: 8 Clubs (No restrictions) (home and away)
    R3: 4 Clubs (home and away)
    R4: 2 Clubs (one game)

MLS Super Cup: Championship Winner VS CUP Winner (one game)

CONCACAF (32 CLUBS): 8 MLS Clubs (6 US + 2 Canada)
    8 Groups X 4 Clubs. 6 Games.
    R16-R8-R4-R2. 7 Games

MAXIMUM AMOUNT OF GAMES: 53. Now 55 games. - 2 games.

2. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Because...

I believe soccer could only become a popular sport in North America with a major organic growth.
    Meaning more clubs=more fans, more popularity, more success.

This is a extreme scenario, doubling current MLS.

Also this scenario only admits ONE soccer league - MLS.

USA and Canada will have 400 millions inhabitants by 2030

40 Clubs=10 millions persons per club :p

4. The Franchise

The Franchise Member+

Nov 13, 2014
    Bakersfield, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why wouldn't the USSF want first division teams to play in the Open Cup? It's been very successful for the tournament.

The current league structure of regular season and playoffs is straightforward and familiar to anyone who has followed sports in North America, so switching to two connected competitions--one league and one cup--is unfamiliar and needlessly complicated. MLS at twenty teams is rather like MLS at ten teams; expecting it to be radically different at thirty or forty teams seems unlikely without some sort of clear reasoning behind it.

5. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    A bit too complicated for a casual fan, imo. Maybe not as convoluted as what Belgium and Danes keep trying, but still unnecessary.

If they do get to 40 (got to think that would be like year 2035), they can simply have two or more conferences and play an unbalanced schedule.

There's no problem in the US, there are no deep traditions of balanced schedule like in Europe, no massive outrage about it, so complicated balanced schedules aren't necessary.

6. Paulo PT

Paulo PT Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    It seems complicated but it isn't...

You have 1 Championship and 1 Cup for MLS clubs, each one with 2 stages:
    - Championship: Conferences and National
    - Cup: Conferences and Knock-out/Play-off

40 clubs, only 32 regular season games I think is a good gain.

Now: 45 "domestic games"
    Then: 40 "domestic games" (including 1 Super Cup Game).

7. KCbus

KCbus Moderator
    Staff Member

United States
    Nov 26, 2000
    Reynoldsburg, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the You Be the Don forum. Not the deranged fantasy forum.

Try Twitter.

8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Is there a difference????

I venture to this here board occasionally, and much like that 3:00 a.m. burrito, really regret it most of the time.
    I avoid twitter like the plague (for the exact reason you state).

Unak78 repped this.
  9. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I get the system, but it's simpler to have a typical American system, like NFL and current MLS etc. With that system you can also put games at 32, 34, 36 or whatever you want.

It's just a solution without a problem because 'normal' American regular season system is even simpler and more flexible.

Btw, I didn't quite get what happens with Championship in your suggestion during playoffs? Do these teams just finish in October and sits out November and then one of them is in the finals in December? If so, that's a big flaw.

10. chungachanga

chungachanga Member

Dec 12, 2011
    I think this subforum has run out of steam and purpose a lot over the years. I remember enjoying it a lot when MLS seemed on shakier footing. Because the future wasn't so certain and the "right" model wasn't so clear, there was bigger difference of opinions as to what will or won't work in the long term. There were some cool discussions about stuff that's just fantasy today.

The league is more mature, the model works, the line between fantasy and reality is much more clear, soon enough this subforum will have served its purpose. I don't visit it much anymore, it barely moves nowadays.

JasonMa repped this.