How is Mathis' goal against South Korea one of the biggest goals of US Soccer history?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by arkjayback, Aug 10, 2010.

1. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Okay? But they don't do it in other sports. If someone makes a good 50 yard run in the Super Bowl, fans don't automatically think its better than a 60 yard run in the first game of the season. I guess its just the American in me. I know the World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet, but I'm not disillusioned by its magnitude. Other goals in other competitions can still be bigger and better.

2. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How? We finished last in 1998 and were pretty bad in 2006, and yet we kept trucking along as a soccer nation.

What would happen if we finished last in WC Qualifying? Or were even "pretty bad" in a Honduras 2005 sort of way?

As I said, if McBride doesn't score that goal then we're basically Canada. Nothing that happens in the World Cup -- and the shit really hit the fan for us in 98, by the way -- can compare to that.

3. judodono

judodono Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Club:
    --other--
    it's the WORLD. CUP.

the world stage. nothing, at all, is bigger. i really dont know how to explain it. you either get it, or you dont.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

It's the sine qua non of modern US soccer.

5. Matrim55

Matrim55 Member+

Aug 14, 2000
    Berkeley
    Club:
    Connecticut
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    World Cup Qualifying is also the WORLD. CUP. And we don't get to the part where we play on the world stage without qualifying heroics.

If McBride, Ramos and Caligiuri don't score those goals, US soccer as we know it dies. No MLS. No SUM. No ESPN contracts. That's what "existential" means.

None of our WC Final goals, with the possible exception of McBride's against Mexico, have meant as much to the development of the game.

6. Mr Martin

Mr Martin Member+

Jun 12, 2002
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agreed. Key qualification-clinching goals are just as important as World Cup goals. You don't have a chance at the latter without the former.

7. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys didn't get the memo .

WC Qualifying is now easy.

I mean,we've always been in the World Cup,right?

:rolleyes: to infinity.

1 person likes this.
  8. judodono

judodono Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Club:
    --other--
    this discussion is slightly swaying away from the topic.

reminder: Mathis' WC'02 goal IS (without a doubt) one of the biggest goals of US Soccer history.

9. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not really. Where you rank Mathis's goal in terms of significance appears to be affected by whether or not you believe any World Cup goal is better than all others.

10. judodono

judodono Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Club:
    --other--
    You can't make such a definitive statement because it's not so cut and dry.

Who would argue for McBride's '98 goal over a great WC qualifying goal?

11. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmmmm, true. But how you rate World Cup goals compared to non-World Cup goals still has an effect on where you put Mathis' goal.