How is Mathis' goal against South Korea one of the biggest goals of US Soccer history?

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by arkjayback, Aug 10, 2010.

1. iyutepo

iyutepo Member

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let me just say that I could make youtube videos of Gisele Bündchen all day long and I still wouldn't be Tom Brady.

1 person likes this.
  2. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    . . . . .

Let me just say that by making videos about the significance of US Soccer's history, I believe I have gained more respect for the past of US Soccer more than some fans who have become fans over the last few years or so.

3. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Repped.

4. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.

5. Klay

Klay Member

Feb 28, 2005
    VA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Besides that it was against the host country of the WORLD CUP...here's some other reasons...
    1. It showed that our win vs. Portugal wasn't a fluke, or atleast that we were taking the momentum with us.
    2. He did it at a time when he was thought to be unfit.
    but most of all, I think, is like I read a few years back..ONLY Clint could have scored that goal...the trap was pure quality, defly enough to set it up perfectly for that left foot hammer. Nobody else on that team had that sweet of a left foot strike or the balls to try it.
    Also, not to be looked over..only JOB could have made that pass.

6. Honore de Ballsac

Oct 28, 2005
    France.
    Only because Clint couldn't be on both ends of the pass.

(Probably.)

7. judodono

judodono Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Bay Area, Ca.
    Club:
    --other--
    no doubt.

8. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently if I don't believe that Mathis' goal is one of the biggest in US history, then I am completely and totally ignorant of its significance and quality. Got it.

My point was how is it bigger/better than other top US goals? Even if you're saying all World Cup goals are elevated above others no matter what, how was it bigger/better than Stewart's goal against Colombia, McBride's flying header that sealed the win over Portugal, Wynalda's free kick against Switzerland, Gaetjens' impossible goal, Bradley and Donovan versus Slovenia, and of course Donovan against Algeria?

9. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    EDIT: I'm obviously an idiot.

10. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Jesus Christ. Why do people think disagreeing with them is an affront to their manhood? So we are all supposed to agree with you because you claim authority because you make YouTube videos? Due respect, get over yourself.

Let people have their opinions or don't start threads that generate discussion.

11. iad_22201

iad_22201 Member+

Jan 2, 2009
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really??? You do realize we wouldn't have made the WC QF's in 2002 without that goal, don't you?

I'm not saying it was the "biggest" goal scored in US soccer history, but it certainly is in the discussion (which is why I think this thread is silly...).

1 person likes this.
  12. ImaPuppy

ImaPuppy Member+

Aug 10, 2009
    Using too many parentheses
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    I must be retarded, you're right, not sure why I forgot about something like that. I was thinking we had lost that match perhaps? Actually, no excuse, just stupid.

In that case, yes, very important goal.

1 person likes this.
  13. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

the importance of a goal isn't just based solely on its contribution to advancement of a team to the next round but also on the context in which it is scored. mathis' goal was particularly important because it happened against the host country, and remember that playing against a host in a world cup makes things immeasurably harder (see brazil vs a naive usa in 94). the goal was scored early in the game, setting a confident mood in the team (weren't we all missing that in the last wc?) but the koreans played beyond their hearts and capabilities. lucky that brad with the english accent in goal.

mcbride's goal (as those of others) was very important as well but it was scored against an overconfident portugal and when we were already up 2-0. stewart's goal was scored on american soil, in front of a massive american crowd with massive support. so was waldo's.

mathis' was scored not only against 11 koreans but the entire stadium if not the whole country. as he said the best moment was right after he scored when the deafening stadium suddenly became quiet with the exception of a few cheers from a few american fans on the stand. all goals scored in a wc are important (including those in lost matches) but mathis' stood out as one of the most important ones for sure.

2 people repped this.
  14. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lmao, way to rant about nothing. Oooooo, and another cheap shot about making videos. Does that make you feel like a man? Repping the first comment wasn't enough for you?

I posted that comment because no one was actually answering how it was bigger than others, but simply detailing why they thought the goal was awesome. I know why it was awesome. Hatrick just answered the question fully and was repped for it.

15. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I would have seen it on SoccerByIves or SoccerInsider, but I couldn't find it on either one of those. The only thing left is I think it would have been an interview at the broadcast of the LAG vs. Real Madrid match.

16. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're going to look retrospectively at the importance of Mathis' goal to advancing, don't you have to give more credit to McBride? Yeah the team was already up 2-0, but it did end up being the winning goal. Without those 3 points the team doesn't get through, more than the 1 point Clint gave.

Plus, JOB gets credit for a great pass to Mathis, so what about Sanneh's run and perfect cross? Its not every day you see somone go horizontal on a game winning goal either.

17. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Hey, I thought it was funny. Don't take it personally. Like everything else, it seems. Come back with something witty, I'll give you some rep too. :cool:

Like I said, I'm sorry I can't bow my head for you. :(

1 person likes this.
  18. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The pass was actually the best part of that goal,but then I think about if we have any mids right now who could make that pass,and I'm sad.

19. arkjayback

arkjayback Member

Mar 29, 2008
    Le Mars, IA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Invaluable contribution.

20. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

LOL! You're just not gonna let go. :D

Alright, well, one of us has to be the adult and go do something else, so it might as well be me. And bear in mind, as everyone around here knows, if I'M the one who has to act all grown up, something is seriously wrong, like disturbance-in-the-Force wrong. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  21. Hatrick

Hatrick Member

bring cara back, imapuppy. i know as a puppy, you're cute and all but i just gotta see cara one more time...

22. SlovenianBearHug

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    There have been a lot of big goals for US Soccer in the 16 years I have been watching. The only one that comes close for me is the the Algeria goal. It stems from the combination of a perfect, chip pass from O'Brien, the crowd's intimidation, and Mathis's perfect touch and half volley. He took a ball over the shoulder, settled in perfectly ON THE RUN, in between TWO defenders, then struck it with his off foot in the corner of the goal to give the USA the lead against the run of play.

23. SlovenianBearHug

Jun 20, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I'm not even going to argue with this. I can definitively remember every USA goal scored in the WC since 1994 (except 1998 hah), but this one is my favorite. I can argue why, but you could counter with why any other one is just as important. We can all wax poetic on why all of those goals are amazing. It doesn't matter. As long was we can all unite behind the Stars and Stripes it doesn't matter. If I ever ran anyone into at a bar who scored a goal for the USA in any shape or form I'd buy them drinks all night long.

24. xbhaskarx

xbhaskarx Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Feb 13, 2010
    NorCal
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe you had to be there to fully appreciate it. By there I don't necessarily mean actually at the stadium, but at least watching on TV.

I'm sure if you showed Donovan's goal against Algeria to a US fan a decade from now, they would appreciate how big it was if they knew their history, but the emotion would not be the same, because they would not be sitting through the highs and lows of the entire match with the outcome in doubt.

25. Grumpy in LA

Grumpy in LA Bringing It Since 1807™

Sep 10, 2007
    Chicago
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is my feeling. The USMNT has scored 790 goals in its history. I'd have no problem putting Mathis' goal against South Korea in the top 25 or so (and very possibly higher), which would make it one of the US' most important goals scored.

1 person likes this.