How good are Portugals U-21,U-19, and U-17 teams??

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Fender playa, Jul 26, 2002.

1. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada
    the U-21 team did poor in their euro cup. Even though they had a good team. The u-19 team never qualified. And the u-17 team never passed the group stage.

Just how good portugals going to be 5-10 years from know??

2. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    Since Carlos Queiros left the program its going down every year.
    Another Gilberto Madail failure.

3. Selecao2002

Selecao2002 New Member

Oct 20, 2000
    MA

If you look at the talent crop of Portuguese 25 and under, there is no question that the talent is there. Players like Simao, Viana, Petit, Gomes, Quaresman, Ricardo, Frechaut....the list goes on and on. There is going to be talent from which to draw.

The real question, as it was this year, is going to be coaching and the players' attitude. It is my hope that this next generation of players learned something from Korea. Hopefully, the young plaeyrs who were on the WC team will remember what happened and do everything within their powers to not repeat it.

4. Penguin

Penguin Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    I am sorry, but I you are wrong, Frank.

Queiros has been removed from the National youth team set-up for over 10 years now. Within that time, we've finished 3rd at a U-20 World Cup, 4th at the 1996 Olympics, and won various European Championships at the U-16 and U-19 levels. Not to mention, we've seen players like Petit, Simao, Hugo Leal, Boa Morte, Beto, and Nuno Gomes come through the ranks.

However, I am a little bit concerned about our recent performances, too. I was too concerned with our poor performance at Toulon or in the U-21 tourney, but I am more concerned with the performances of the U-17 and U-19 squads. The way U-17 team has been performing is quite poor, and our u-19 team should never have lost at home to Slovakia!

Our positive, though, is that we were not fielding our strongest team possible. The U-21 team was missing alot of players due to injury or NT call-ups - Caneira, Hugo Leal, and Peixoto just to name a few. Also, the U-19 team was missing Hugo Viana and a couple of players who were playing at Toulon.

Also, it should be noted that the clubs are doing much better job of spotting and developing talent, specifically Porto and Sporting. Porto has a bumper crop of kids ready to step up - Postiga, Manuel Jose, Joca, Hugo Luz, Tonel, and Ricardo Costa. While, Sporting is essentially the Portuguese version of Ajax. Besides Viana and Quaresma, we've got Christiano Ronaldo (16/17 yrs old) cracking the 1st team this summer, and there is a 15 yr old playing on the B team that could be with the 1st squad next season!

5. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    The Olympics was another disaster, remember the score against Argentina? In the semi-final.
    Portugal also were lucky to tied the USA 1-1.
    Queiros program is still in ,but with no continuation, basically most of coach's in the youth program, or the big hunchos were hide under the guidance of Queiros,
    but the program since Queiros its been tumbling down and that's my opinion.
    My opinion the coach's are no longer doing the job, also when Alverca is the Junior champion, something tell's me that Porto and Sporting program is coming down. Benfica his a disaster the last couple years and its hurting the national team.
    Think the way you are Penguin, that why we lost in the World Cup. We always think we can beat everybody, even, the players you mention on top, could be a disappointment in the years to come.
    Portugal needs a new President with new ideas, new coaching staff from down and up, if not expect even worse results in the years to come.

6. Penguin

Penguin Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Continuation??? Since Querios left, the youth teams have been coached by: Rui Caçador, Nelo Vingada, Agostinho Oliveira, and Antonio Violante. All of them were either Queiroz's assistants or can be considered at least his "disciples". If that is not continuation, I don't know what is.

And how can you say the coaches aren't doing their jobs when an 18 yr old. (Viana) manages to make it into the World Cup squad, and there is a 16 yr old (Christiano Ronaldo) who could be playing regulalrly for Sporting??

Also, Alverca winning the Junior Championship is a validation of how strong Sporting's program is. Up until 2 years ago, Sporting used to sponsor 2 full teams at each youth level. When they cut back to 1 large team, they had to release a number of prospects, who all transferred to Alverca. Essentially, Alverca won the title with players trained in the Sporting system!

Finally, don't confuse my optimism for the future with the arrogant over-confidence that surrounded our NT until June.

PS - I will agree with you on one point: Benfica's youth set-up is awful and is one of the reasons why they are in their current position.

7. Penguin

Penguin Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Explain to me exactly how finishing 4th at the Olympics is considered a disaster?

Granted that bronze medal game against Brazil was awful, but we were the highest-placed European team.

Besides, I think it's amazing that we finished 4th seeing as Paulo Alves was our starting center forward! ;)

8. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I don't agree Hugo Viana and Quaresma are Sporting products, nothing to do with the national team. Boloni had the vision to put both of theme under fire in last year championships.
    Sporting got one of the best youth programs thru the years.
    You can't say that coach or that coach made Hugo Viana, Boloni did it.

9. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    I consider a disaster losing in the semi-finals the way we did, if not mistake either 5-1 or 6-1.

10. Penguin

Penguin Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    What's your point then??

Figo and Peixe were Sporting Products...Rui Costa was a Benfica product...JVP was a Boavista product...

11. Penguin

Penguin Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    That was not the semi-final game; it was the bronze-medal game. And as I said, it was a very poor display on Portugal's part.

However, the bottom-line is we finished a respectable 4th place.

12. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    My point none of does coach above had any experience coaching in the I liga. Nelo Vingada since then is been doing a great job with Maritimo, but the other guys just a bunch guys with very little experience. FPF show how dumb they are when the made prof Neca a Scout.
    We can go on and on, you make some good points and I got mine.
    So getting kill in the Olympics was consider a success.

13. Frank Cunha

Frank Cunha New Member

Sep 17, 2001
    UNION TOWNSHIP, NJ
    What was the score with Argentina?
    What was the score with Brazil?

14. Penguin

Penguin Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    1st Round:
    Best Tunisia 2-0
    Tied Argentina 1-1
    Tied USA 1-1

2nd Round:
    Best France 2-1 (OT)

Semifinals
    Lost Argentina 0-2

Bronze Medal Game
    Lost Brazil 0-5

15. Penguin

Penguin Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    What does coaching in I Liga have to do with this? Artur Jorge won a Champions Cup with Porto, but he sucked as NT coach.

How can you say that Rui Cacador or Agosthinho Oliveira have little or no experience? They've been in the NT setup for over 15 years.

16. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    Frank I think it was 5-0.
    We had to hear it all up and down Ferry St.

17. nas2nj

nas2nj New Member

Jun 12, 2002
    Newark, NJ
    I'll let you know that I was at all 3 first round games in Washigton D.C.

For the first game against Tunisia, we had 3 buses full leaving from Newark.

And for the other 2 games, we had a van full.

It was great.

Tying Argentina, was a very good score.

Tying the US was not so goos at all..

18. Fender playa

Fender playa New Member

Mar 18, 2002
    Vancouver/Canada