How Fast Have You Gone?

Discussion in 'Automotive' started by Cascarino's Pizzeria, Jan 19, 2006.

1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    This was at about 2 am!!

2. Txtriathlete

Txtriathlete Member

Aug 6, 2004
    The American Empire
    165 on I-10. Coming back from Louisiana.

3. valanjak

valanjak BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 14, 2005
    Perspolis
    125 MPH BMW 330 ci 2003 driving on the New Jersey Turnpike driving to Atlantic City.

4. Coach_McGuirk

Coach_McGuirk New Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Between the Pipes
    You've got that right. I remember the fun I had driving my Rabbit GTi back in the day....

Aaaahhh, memories.

Anyway, the fastest I've driven on the street in 115 in my El Dorado when I first got it. Wanted to see how much that Northstar could pull. Of course I remembered soon after the speedo hit 115 that I was driving on tires only rated to 112 so I quickly backed off because I'm not a complete idiot.

5. Przybylinski

Przybylinski New Member

Apr 28, 2004
    Smallville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    130+ in a Lotus driving on a country road.

City streets 110 racing a mustang in Milwaukee driving a Dodge Stealth - original model first year. That freaked me out, but I beat the other guy.

6. topcatcole

topcatcole BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 26, 2003
    Washington DC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coach, haven't seen you around in a while so I have to ask, do you want a second opinion on the complete idiot thing? ;) :p :D

7. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    102 mph...in a 1985 Volvo. Thought the ****er was going to fall apart. :D

8. fedwood

fedwood Member

Sep 13, 2004
    230 km/h thats about 140 mph in a Mazda RX-7, this was on a racetrack though
    I dont really go over the speed limit, dont want to kill anyone innocent
    plus the penalties of speeding are pretty harsh if you are still on your first few years of driving.
    You get 4 demerit points in your 1st year, 6 in your 2nd-3rd year
    Speeding 5-15km/h over gets you 3 demerit point, 15-30km/h over gets you 6 points
    thats your license gone in one go
    and around holidays they double the demerits so its not worth the risk

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    650 mph, Northrup t-38,,,,,got to take an incentive flight for being chosen airman of the quarter back in 1984.....Yes I puked, so did the three other airman who were getting flights that day

10. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Thanks to the rotation of the Earth, I'm doin' a little 1121 KPH at the moment but when in Accra (Ghana), I topped at 1671 KPH without touching the steering wheel ! :cool: :p

If you wanna know your current speed :

V(kph)= 2*PI*6400*cos(L*PI/180)/24 ; where L is your current latitude in degrees.

11. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    I've hit 56 going down singletrack on my old mt bike. Don't have a speedo on the current one.

12. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    100 mph in a crappy Mercury Sable coupe that was my company car for my summer job before my last year in college. i was on some back country road west of Galesburg in IL.

13. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    156 MPH
    Rt 295 N, South Jersey
    1989 IROC-Z 350 (one of about 200 I think; prior to the mass production of IROC 350s).

I also got stopped doing 120 in a 45; the officer took me to McDonald's and bought me breakfast and talked to me about the dangers of speed.

14. Mel Brennan

Mel Brennan PLANITARCHIS' BANE

Paris Saint Germain
    United States
    Apr 8, 2002
    Baltimore
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh, I just saw, we're counting aircraft?

LANTIRN-employing F-111F is the fastest I've gone, I think.

15. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    The perfect car for a high speed run in Jersey. I hope you had a girl with big bangs with you.

16. hypnotik

hypnotik Member

Feb 15, 2006
    Gwang Ghetto Wang
    135 mph in my tiburon

17. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    not the fastest ive ever driven, but definitley the dumbest.I draged my old 79 Trans Am down Elston Ave. in Chicago at 115 MPH.It was about 3 am , but still_not the brightest move .luckily there was no cops and traffic (auto or pedestrian).The only bright part was "eastbound and down" blasting from my stereo.

18. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    90 in my 1994 Chevy Cavalier. I was such an a*hole driver back then, tailgating and everything. Since that speeding ticket 10 years ago I've totally changed. I am never, ever the fastest person on the freeway and always tend to go a little below the speed limit. You save fuel that way, you know.

As a passenger, 135 in my brother's 1985 BMW 325 shortly after he bought it used. 3AM on a totally empty 5-lane freeway.

On a bike, 43 on a not-totally-smooth downhill street on my road bike. I was absolutly sure I was going to die.

19. gvfatlas

gvfatlas Member

Oct 6, 2004
    GDL
    Club:
    CF Atlas Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    155 mph in my dad's kawasaki ninja, a foolish thing to do at the time but one of the weirdest and coolest feelings to this day.

In a car, 138-142 mph and withs some rpms left before my radar detector went off in the 101.

The scariest though was going 65-75 mph in my dirtbike in a race in the desert in Hesperia. A really long straightaway that was full of acceleration bumps and everytime I would hit one my bike would want to start going sideways.

20. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    130 mph on my Suzuki DL1000 (V-Strom). I could have gone faster but I was afraid of state troopers on US 50 in Maryland.

fastest on an auto 115 mph on what I think was a Pontiac Sunfire. All I remember for sure about that car was that it was rented and a passenger asked me to slow down.

21. cjump

cjump Member

Jul 31, 2006
    North Carolina
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    142mph with me driving.
    165mph with a friend.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just under 190 in my brothers 'blown' Sierra Cosworth when I was a kid, (for me that means in my twenties :D).

That was the fastest but in the past I've done pretty high speeds on quite a few occasions. I had a V12 E-type when I was 19, a Porsche 911 a year or so after that followed shortly by a Ferrari Dino246GT. I was probably a pretty insufferable prat in those days. (WAS? everyone shouts ;))

Anyway, I once went from the centre of Shrewsbury to the centre of London through Birmingham along the M6 in exactly 2 hours betwen the hours of 6pm and 8pm. It was 168 miles according to the speedo, i.e. 84 mpg average. You just can't do that now. You'd be crawling along at 2-3 mph all through Birmingham almost every day of the week. I once went from Whitchurch to a place just outside Lowestoft in a whisker under 4 hours. It was 250.6 miles, again, according to the speedo.

The thing is you just CAN'T drive quickly over here now. It's not even worth trying. I find it laughable watching these kids knackering up their tyres in street races where they do about a mile. :D What a joke!

Anyway, then I grew up.

23. mookhead

mookhead New Member

Jul 14, 2005
    Metro Chicago
    Club:
    SSC Napoli
    120 mph(in a 55mph zone) in my parents 1998 Jetta only about a year after I got my license. One mile later I was clocked by a police car that was hiding. The officer was nice enough to only write me a ticket for going 85mph in a 55mph zone. My parents were pissed, I could only imagine if I told them I was going 120mph.

24. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    145 in a 2001 Volvo S60.

I could have gotten it to go a little faster, but I decided that 145 was fast enough.

25. Cabster22

Cabster22 New Member

Feb 2, 2007
    Washington, DC
    136mph in my dads volvo S80... its was pretty scary. I cant believe nascar drivers go 50 mph faster about an inch from the person in front of them. That blows my mind.