How far will the US advance in WC2006?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by BigSoccer, Aug 14, 2005.

1. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Dude, (to use an American expression to show I'm not biased ;) - it's not about bragging; it's not about 'heritage' or whatever people want to call it; it's not about the money or being 'BIG', (whatever TF that means), teams...

It's about THE GAME. It's about those 11 players v 11 players on the pitch. THAT'S all that matters.

US has some good players in some good teams but, in all honesty, they don't have the number of successful players in the number of successful teams that other coutries have.

If you look at, (in no particular order), Italy, Spain, Germany, England, Argentina, Brazil, Holland, France and the others you'll find their players playing in some of the best leagues in the world and, (and this is the important thing), WINNING GAMES.

THAT is what matters. Nothing else.

Like I said, the US has some good players like Beasley who has recently become a regular for PSV but teams from the Dutch league haven't won many CL finals, have they. Sorry - but they haven't. Guys like Reyna have played for quite a few clubs in Europe but he's at ManCity now and, let's be honest, MAnCity are not expected to win the EPL this year, are they. You can go through the team and see how they play for and figure it out yourself if you want.

Now, personally I think that the US side will prove to be greater than the sum of it's parts because they stick together, are well organised and everyone works for everyone else. Personally, I think they'll do well.

Strangely enough they're sort of the 'anti-Holland' in that respect. The Dutch have a record of squabbling among themselves and being LESSS than the sum of their parts because of it.

You have to view things like the WC in a sort statistical way. So, the USA has, say a 40/60 chance of beating, say, England. Against Brazil let's say it's 35/65. If you add up all the percentages you'll get the likelihood of any one team winning the WC. Now, obviously, any team can beat any team on the day but the chances of the USA winning the WC are considerably smaller than Brazil. That's just the way it is.

If you remember the US roadshow DID go belly up during the last WC but it was against Poland and they'd already qualified for the next round IIRC. The chances of that happening in an important game are just as great as it happening against Poland.

2. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here , the US lost to Poland but advanced because S.Korea beat Portugal, w/ the help of the ref ,of course.

3. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Well, I actually said I couldn't quite remember, didn't I...

'If you remember the US roadshow DID go belly up during the last WC but it was against Poland and they'd already qualified for the next round IIRC'.

In any case that reinforces my point, doesn't it. If S.Korea hadn't beaten Portugal, (ref's decisions being another matter), then you WOULDN'T have gone any further, would you... and this talk from some people that 'we got to the last eight so therefore we should do 'x' or 'y'' would have been, 'we didn't make it out of the group'.

As I said, there's a large element odf luck in winning something like a WC but the better teams require less of it than others.

'My case rests, m'lud' ;)

4. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *BANGBANG with hammer*
    Case dismissed. :cool:

I have to agree Bennet. We aren't nearly as good as we play ourselves off to be. Another example is this year's prelims.
    Although they aren't exactly minnows (definately not anymore) we only managed to get TNT by 1 goal each time. And then, even if it was with a mainly MLS team, we lost to Costa RIca 3-0. That just SUCKS. :(

But yeah, for the simple reason that I'm an American, I must say I think we'll do well this year. This is one of our best teams ever, anyway. I would be extremely dissappointed if we went out anywhere outside of the quater finals.

5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Reading your post reminded me of this:
    "Sometimes it is better to be lucky then good"

Which is true to a degree. Some would say that luck is derived from positioning yourself so that you can take advantage of it.

As for the US, they will require a bit of luck to go through, but they will also have to play up to their highest level. I don't think the US will or should surprise anyone they play in Germany.

6. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, that's KIND OF how I feel...
    We'll need some luck, yes, but... I kind of feel like we can surprise some people. Mainly because... I mean, think about it this way:

A lot of our players DON'T play in Europe, and people who play each other there WON'T know how to react to what we do. I consider that a plus.

That's just my outlook on things.

7. Predator67

Predator67 New Member

Aug 16, 2005
    I think they can get to the semi finals as long as Reyna stays healthy. They are very fast up front and could strike at anytime.

8. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    The same can be said about Mexico,Costa Rica,and Trinidad and Tobago..alot of their players dont play in Europe either..so i guess they can also consider it a plus....right ?

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Actually... yes.

Especially Mexico because the domestic league is relatively strong. To the extent other teams can't scout you, you have an advantage.

10. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Not having any European experience is going to be Mexico's Achilles Heel. The US has a hard time playing away in Europe and they have much more familiarity with European play than Mexico.

11. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Actually that's a pretty good point. There are English scouts all over the US checking out MLS players (as well as college). European teams (particularly English) are very familiar with the US. Mexican league play is unknown to Europeans. That could work for them although any coach worth his salt will be looking at lots videos of ANY teams they come up against.

12. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I think you're right-- it cuts both ways. The obvious benefits of having European players is that they tend to be better players and get more exposure to a wide variety of playing styles.

But there's something to be said for having your domestic players know and play with each other and also be able to sneak up on people. Europeans know that the Mexicans will be decent-- but, at least the fans, have no idea why. It's even true with us to a lesser extent. Like you say, the US is becoming pretty well scouted, judging by the steady stream of youth players to Europe-- but I note that many MLS/youth international players that get shots in Europe do so after a tournament or international friendly-- European scouts are still a little limited.

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Now that the US is in the group of death , if they get on to the next level I expect final or semis. What doesn't kill ya, makes you that much stronger :)

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Funny poll results 25% voted each category basically.

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    First round out 299 22.75%
    Round of 16 371 28.23%
    Quarters 326 24.81%
    Semis 318 24.20%

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    After watching the game vs Norway, I'm even more encouraged that USMNT will do better than WC02.

17. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    And they just beat Japan. They'll certainly get out of the group stage but then they'll have Brazil. I doubt if they'll make the quarters this time. You never know though as it's a funny old game where anything can happen.

18. JugglinNCWest7

JugglinNCWest7 New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Soccer is not an individual sport... it is a team sport. While I think two of the US NT players could start for England (I won't say who unless asked nicely), Arena coaches the US team well enough that they can basically beat anyone but Brazil, England this year, and Argentina. I say we'll get 4th place b/c those 3 teams will be the other semifinalists.

19. JugglinNCWest7

JugglinNCWest7 New Member

Feb 18, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Yeah... an anomaly that will be fixed b/c the US NT is much better this year than in 2002? We have a stronger group of defensemen.. the same group of more experienced midfielders and the same striker with possibly the best player on the team having been added in the past few years (Eddie Johnson). While they shouldn't be ahead of England all the other teams that you mentioned are overrated and are getting old (except for Spain which always underachieves anyway so it doesn't really matter). Considering the US will play either eitehr Switzerland, France, Ukraine, or Korea in the quarters I think it is entirely possible that they can advance to the semis (where they will lose to Argentina or England).

20. gfranc79

gfranc79 Member

Dec 10, 2005
    NYC
    My heart says they will win it all... but Id be happy with semis too...at least it will show they are improving.