How far will the US advance in WC2006?

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by BigSoccer, Aug 14, 2005.

1. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    i guess the basic fact of the matter is that MEXICO has a way better team on paper..and ur right history isnt gonna help them win against the u.s only skills....and the truth is that MEXICO still has more talent on their squad..they just have to get it together..sure the u.s is great they improved so much and they have good players, more than ever before...but i still see no reason why MEXICO feels so threatened by them. The only reason i feel they lose to the u.s...is the pressure that they have to put up with...they eventually cave in..the whole country is watching and waiting to judge..their nervousness gets the best of them..and they lose. Think about it..what happend in the u.s after they lost to MEXICO in the azteca ?..nothing..the press didnt care..nobody bashed on them..no one talked trash, and when MEXICO lost in columbus it was the freaking loss of the century..everyone talked trash...all of that pressure really brings MEXICO down,and it gives the u.s more confidence...

2. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I think Divino has to be joking and/or trolling, but he's done it pretty well.

Yes, MFL players are better on paper than role players from the Bundesliga and English premiership. I'm not sure how I've come to that conclusion, but there it is.

3. ElDivino

ElDivino Member

Nov 11, 2004
    well..thank you for understanding...this is my own opinion of course..and even tho it might have sounded like it...i wasnt joking...just trying to put it in the best words possible...i really like this thread !!!

4. jcmartins

jcmartins BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 22, 2005
    United States

I don't think for a second they're lesse teams than the us.. I'm Brazilian just so you don't think I'mm biased about uruguay (an't speak for hungary haven't watched them lately) But uruguay? no way man... forlan and Company they have a very good team, comparable with the big guns. Last year wa a different siory but now they have reorganized and their team is getting stronger every day, remember - Forlan is top european scorer currently, not an easy feat. I would love to see the US grow and I'm waiting for that day, but they have not grown enough to be considered better than Uruguay, in any way. The US could never beat the Uruguayans at home, and I'd say they would lose 8 out of ten playing here... But of course that's my opinion.

5. docliver

docliver New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Why are people comparing the U.S with Mexico , thats not the question that was asked is it ? It's about how far the U.S will go. Now it all depends on the draw doesn't it ? If they have a so so group then yes they will get to the 2nd round but if they don't then it will be a long flight home in the first 2 weeks . Personally i think they will make it to round 2 but get beaten after that, They just don't have the full team and i think they got lucky last W.C in there draw. Thats my 2 pennies , like it or not.

6. dude?

dude? New Member

Sep 11, 2005
    Beaumont, CA
    winners i hope but realisticly i dont know we sure have alot more talent this year

7. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be wishful thinking, but here's my prediction:

Runners up...and all the Germans say, "Mein Gott!"

8. prymetyme

prymetyme Member

Aug 20, 2005
    Vallendar
    mein gott is right, dont get yourself carried away. Germany will win on its home turf. I dont think in the finals there will be that many brazilians in Berlin.

9. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Quarter-finals.For sure. :cool:

10. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    With a lot of luck it's very much a possibility. To be honest anyone can win this World Cup. It's wide open. It's going to be very exciting!

11. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    The 2nd string line-up ,if they are victorious or have a good performance in the next WCQ match will give some indication of the USNT's depth of quality players.

12. docliver

docliver New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    Winners or runners up No way i just don't see it personally. Yes they make strides against teams like Costa rica, Trinidad and yes Mexico but come on who have they really played . Maybe the next W.C but for now they should consider getting to the 2nd round and be happy with that. I see them being a threat in the future because the kids now playing footy in the U.S are pretty damm good and if they can nurture talent like that then they have a chance in the coming years. The problem now is that teams don't fear the U.S and that especially euorpeans they laugh at the U.S team . Im English and i really don't think much of them , maybe one or two names but thats it. Like i said the future looks bright but not now

13. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I feel that the USA NT will go further than most Europeans expect ,regardless of what happened in France ,last time out in the WC in Europe. The team definetelly has depth in the squad, they just prooved it in their last game. :)

14. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    How often do you see the US team play? Probably only in a World Cup right? The US did pretty well in WC2002. Quarterfinalists (just like England) and had the better run of play against Germany for the most part, they were just victims of a handball which wasn't seen by the ref. So you have nothing do base your assessment on. Anyway, no teams are feared anymore apart from Brazil! That's why world football has got better over the years.

15. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Tying Scotland is not a good omen for performance in Germany, I'm afraid.

16. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be a choice for Wins It All...

Anyway, I chose Semis because they will prove their place in Germany.

17. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That wasn't even our "B" team on the field in Scotland.

18. kylesoccer

kylesoccer New Member

Mar 24, 2004
    boston
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i'm sure you posted the same thing when Italy tied Scotland as well. So this result means we will do the same as Italy in the World Cup. Of course it doesn't.

19. simonb_nyc

simonb_nyc New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    I wouldn't worry if I were the US coach. The A team is superb - witness the Mexico game in September. The Yanks have nothing to worry about. Semifinals for sure.

20. CariocaEWR

CariocaEWR New Member

Nov 9, 2005
    EWR
    Very good point. That Mexico game was very intense. They will stick to Arena's plans and finish, at least, in the top 5. And it gets better in the near future with so much young talent. I follow the MLS up close along with high school here in Jersey and I am very impressed with the kids I have seen the last 4 or 5 years. I'm a Brazilian born that grew up in Massachusetts and Rio de Janeiro and I have never seen so much quality and skills in the U.S. as right now.

21. rolfefan1717

rolfefan1717 New Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Dayton Ohio
    Beasley would be a sure fire starter on the left side of midfield for England. There's your one player, and i also feel Keller is a better keeper than Robinson but that is a personal opinion. Cherundolo also could give Gary Neville a battle for the right back spot as Neville may struggle to regain form and fitness and clearly even when healthy isn't what he once was. Truth is PsSoccer123 don't go out on a limb if the limb can't support the weight of your own arse...

As for the U.S. chances in the WC i see us as quarterfinalists but really believe we will have an outside chance in 2010 if we can develop some central midfielders to partner our exciting young attacking talent.

As for the U.S. World

22. Chewmylegoff

Chewmylegoff Member

Jan 26, 2004
    London
    i agree - they'll probably be playing wales

23. SantosLaguna

SantosLaguna New Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Westfield
    Even though I am Mexican, and i hate the USMNT, I believe they will atleast make it to the quarter finals, semis at most.

24. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    These polls would make much more sense once the draw is complete and we have an idea of who we will be playing.

25. eu sou mim-nada mais

Nov 13, 2005
    SB d'Oeste,Sao Paulo
    quarters, and thats generous. Its not that the USA is nto quality, its just that they will probably face a much more experienced stronger side by the time semis roll around.