How does the conference shake-up affect college soccer?

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by RobtheAggie, Nov 5, 2003.

1. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the large amouts of universities theoretically changing conferences in the next few years, how does that affect College Soccer? Who are the winners and who are the loosers?

ACC:
    Have:
    Maryland, Wake Forest, Virginia, NC State, North Carolina, Clemson, Duke

Add:
    BC,Virginia Tech

Big East:
    Loose:
    BC, Virginia Tech

Gain:
    Louisville, Cinci, South Florida, Marquette, DePaul

Have:
    St. John's, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Connecticut, Providence, Villanova, Pittsburgh, Georgetown, Syracuse, West Virginia

C-USA:
    Loose:
    Louisville, Cinci, South Florida, Marquette, DePaul, Charlotte, Saint Louis

Gain:
    Marshall, UCF, SMU, Tulsa

A-10:
    Gain: Saint Louis, Charlotte

Have: Richmond, Duquesne, Temple, Dayton, George Washington, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, St. Joseph's, Fordham, Xavier, La Salle, St Bonaventure

To me it looks like the Big East and C-USA are the winners here. C-USA does loose a lot, but SMU and Tulsa are good additions, along with Marshall and UCF.

The Big East gaining Louisville and Marquette while getting rid of traditionally weak Virginia Tech is good.

2. Stifflizard

Stifflizard New Member

Jun 9, 2000
    Reading
    Can anyone inform me of the quality of the 5 teams coming into the Big East?

3. cantona24

cantona24 New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Note to Aggie fan...

VTech is not weak anymore. Weiss has turned the program around and nobody expects anything other than for the Hokies to build a great program. When Weiss went there he said he though VT was a "sleeping giant" in the world of college soccer. It seems he may have been right.

ACC just gets stronger.

4. cREWBILLY

cREWBILLY New Member

Apr 30, 1999
    Cincinnati
    I'm concerned about how the loss of Marshall will effect the MAC and my Kentucky Wildcats. There weren't to many teams in the conference to begin with.

5. RobtheAggie

RobtheAggie Member+

Sep 10, 2001
    Middle Georgia
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: How does the conference shake-up affect college soccer?

I said traditionally because that has been the case. SMU is having a down year by their standards, but they are traditionally a strong program. The same thing with Furman. I am aware of the re-birth of VT and hope things continue along that path.

This years record for the 5 incoming Big East teams:
    Louisville: 11-6-3
    Cinci: 8-3-5
    Marquette: 9-8-1
    DePaul: 8-9-0
    USF: 6-6-3

To get an accurate description, more than this years records are needed, but it gives a little perspective.