How does one learn to move like Brazilian players?

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by golazo68, Aug 27, 2007.

1. niterider10

niterider10 New Member

Jun 28, 2007

You know I was thinking of Joe Cole while I posted ealier, yes he has tremendous skill with the ball on his feet thats not the issue its physically he dosnt have the creative movement of a Ronaldinho of a Barry Sanders, an OJ Simspon they didnt think when they ran its all instincts.

2. niterider10

niterider10 New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    My theory gets no love?

3. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OJ
    Ronaldino
    Barry Sanders

You do realize these men are a once in a generation type players. How about Fake Ronaldo, Kaka, Riquilme, Deco, Berbatov, and Maradona?

4. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't care if they can dance. Or samba. Or disco naked, booty to booty with a buff cabana boy.

What I care about is, how can we move off the ball like the Brazilian players? Figure that out, now we're getting somewhere.

5. jafo1972

jafo1972 Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Chicago
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    It's not the skn color but the DNA. If your parents were good athletes then you are prone to be a good athlete. If soccer is widely played in Brasil it means that the ability to play is in their genes. It's like dominican, cuban, or puerto rican kids and baseball. Skin color is not the reason. That's the problem with some people. They confuse country of origin, culture or nationality with skin color. It's not the same!!!!!!

6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Member

May 29, 2005
    atlanta
    I'm not sure but I bet these guys learned a love for the game and started to kick a ball when they were three years old but didn't play on an organized team until age 8 or 9. At age 8 or 9 american kids have already had the love for the game and that flair coached out of them for a few years.

7. niterider10

niterider10 New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Can you see the difference between Kakas style of play and Ronaldinos? They are both great players that play the game with alot of flair but their style and movement are different. When I first read the question "How does one learn to move like Brazilian players?" I automatically thought of Ronaldino, Denisilon, and Rivaldos style of movement and flair even though you can play a different style and play with flair. Such as Riqulme he can do amazing things with the ball but his game and movement are different.

8. dub77

dub77 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    in denial
    I'd add to that seeing and making the threw passes to those players moving off the ball. We play too direct to players and don't use space to make the ball do the work. I guess maybe one thing at a time.

9. metroflip73

metroflip73 Member

Mar 3, 2000
    NYC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No double decker buses, that's how.

10. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    You do realize that you're arguing with a kid, right?

As a side note, white Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Georgian, Yugoslavian Romanian, Argentine players have as much dexterity as most Brazilians. Kaka isn't really a fantastic dribbler per se; he just uses his speed and strength extremely well and he's got a superb soccer brain.

My favorite "old time" Brazilian soccer player Tostão was also white but put one hell of a move on the English defenders during the famous Tostão-to-Pele-to-Jairzinho goal scoring sequence from the 1970 WC.

And to seriously answer the original question - the Brazilian ball control is not unique. African teams (watch some highlights off this U-17's) have as much strength and skill on the ball as Brazilians, especially if you adjust for the population size. In fact, in terms of forwards, Nigeria (a populous country of ~ 140M in its own right) probably has a better current talent with Utaka, Yakubu, Aghahowa, et al.

So, there's nothing unique about Brazil per se, as all nations offer something different in terms of style and often substance.

You know, the Premiership has the best off the ball movement of any league. If you watch the Brazilian domestic competition, there's a lot of "circulation", a ball going from left to right and then right to left with the bulk of the players static at any given moment. The Argentines, who have impeccable technique as well, did this vs. the US, hoping that the Americans get tired chasing the ball in the heat and humidity of Venezuela ... and Basile was certainly correct in that judgement.

In some regard, Bradley and Hackworth try the same "one-touch/two-touch" ball but it runs into a dead end when the US players show very little ability to take their markers off the dribble. The whole purpose of the "circulation" - really, no different than "cycling the puck" in hockey or passing the ball around the perimeter in basketball - is to make the defense run around until it loses concentration or gets tired and allows a one-on-one situation where an attacker has room to operate.

Granted, the Brazilians can run a great counter but so can ManU.

11. Mason16

Mason16 Member

Apr 11, 2001
    South Florida
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the music (read: rhythm). Although "thongs" would have been my #2 choice for an answer. :D

PS - It actually sounded like a dumb thread until I thought about it. I take back my unspoken scorn for Golazo68.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, I'd take EPL's off-the-ball movement, too.

13. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    Parental/cultural socialization from birth, pick-up play and futsal from 6-13, structured play from 11-14 in a very low-pressure spectator free environment run by coaches incentivized to best develop players and not to win tournaments, 14-18 implementation of full sided modern team tactics. For the very best ages 16-20 should be spent training with adult professionals. The movement, triangulation, and support is learned from ages 6-14 and harnessed from ages 13-18 in game situations.

14. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well that settles that! Thanks Bob for a DNA /race free common sense answer.:D

15. trip76

trip76 Member

Jul 17, 2007
    North East USA
    i've read quotes from both ronalhidino and ronaldo, attributing their dribbling skills to playing futsol growing up.

16. tedfirestone

tedfirestone Member

Feb 20, 2007
    I like your analysis but I couldn't help but notice that two of your theories about American soccer seem to be opposing each other. You claim that American's are too individualistic for such a team sport then you go on to say they need to learn the ability to take people on 1 vs 1. It seems to me like 1 vs 1 skills would be more likely to be carried by an individualistic player.

Please explain this further.

I agree with whoever said futsal at a young age.

17. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    A possible answer may be that if you have a team with a couple of very skilled individualistic players who also happen to be athletic, the tendency will be for everybody else to play simply and feed them the ball, and for those two kids to do their solo thing.

Effective in winning matches at a certain level. But eventually you end up with a bunch of team-oriented guys who lack the skills and flair to succeed against the best, because the best get in their faces and deny them space, and then the role players are dead, since they do not have the ability to create space via individual moves. And the solo players get swarmed and stripped, and lack the tactical ability to do what great skilled players do, that is use teammates so that they can pick their spots for the 1v1 attacks.

Is that how it works? Maybe. I've certainly seen teams and players like that. It's a theory.

18. Kyonn

Kyonn New Member

Dec 24, 2004
    Yep and that's exactly why I stopped. And for the record I wasn't arguing so much as trying to teach using the Socratic method.

19. bradley31

bradley31 New Member

Oct 1, 2005
    US soccer players can't move like Brazilians for the same reason Brazilian basketball players can't move like the USA. Did anyone see the drubbing we just gave them? But hold on. I don't believe it will always be that way. I just believe right now, the best US B-Ball players will most likely shake Brazilians all night long. Same goes for football. Brazil has many more talented players who can, for the most part, take it too their American counterparts. It's a talent base question. And it's a good question because you're comparing two talent basis of about the same size.

Please nobody respond so and so beat so and so on such given date. The premise... it's the premise of what I'm saying.

20. niterider10

niterider10 New Member

Jun 28, 2007
    Its sad that I'm probably the dumbest person on this thread and the only one that sees the truth.

21. BigKeeper

BigKeeper Member

Mar 1, 2006
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the question was supposed to be "How does an American learn to
    move like Brazilian players" then the answer may start with some of these:
    -Pretend you live in a Soccer mad country that adores stylish, attacking play.
    -Never have any inhibitions of expressing yourself in dance and start
    dancing very young.
    -Don't be bothered that many American males will call you a homo for dancing
    as much as you do. (This here is to indicate the cultural differences of
    mostly the reserved suburban America versus what I perceive Brazil as being
    like.)
    -Play on a really good team with a coach and other players who all see the
    game the same way as above.
    -Play against other teams who are all good and also see the game the same
    way.
    -Play often with all of your imaginary friends, older and younger, in all of the
    pick up games that are occuring all over your imaginary neighborhood.
    -Watch, learn and play with your imaginary older brothers, cousins, father,
    and/or uncles who are pretty skillful themselves.
    -Go and watch your local pro team play that is full of skillfull, stylish players
    with a strong desire to hit the big payday of a lucrative European contract.

In the immortal words of Hillary Clinton,"It takes a village to raise a Brazilian
    Soccer player" or something like that.

22. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New thread:

How does one learn to move like Ghanian players? No Adu mentions please :D

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    :)

Chelsea's stud African center midfielders, Essien of Ghana and Mikel of Nigeria, play as if they are Germans. Strong on the ball, hard tackling, simple passes, industrious, limited flair. Maybe the secret for success at the top European clubs is to dance like Germans, then?

24. Tigerpunk

Tigerpunk Member+

Jun 17, 2004
    Well I can agree with part of this post.

25. Dirt McGirt

Dirt McGirt Member+

Jun 20, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jaypro supports this statement 100%.