How does growth in the Australian League compare to MLS?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Scotty, Aug 26, 2006.

1. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
    Saw this article talking about how the league in Australia is capitalizing (or hoping to) on the post-World Cup wave of popularity:

http://sports.yahoo.com/sow/news?slug=reu-australialeague_feature&prov=reuters&type=lgns

2. kinsellagem

kinsellagem Member

Apr 27, 2004
    UK
    Ive been following the A-league quite closely since it began. So far it seems they have made a great start and things look v bright for the future.

Some of the major (allbeit ageing) players are also returning home to play. As MLS have also proved it is essential to have good quality local players in their country's league to help pull in the crowds.

The J-league of Japan has been probably the best example of a 'new' soccer league and MLS and A-league should both look to it as an example of how to do it right.

3. suppitty

suppitty Member

Mar 15, 2004
    DC
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The A-league definately gets more attention in Australia then MLS does here, but MLS has far more potential due to having muich bigger markets in the US, and not being completely isolated from other footballing countries.

4. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    china-korea-japan-australia-usa are the "new" soccer leagues, may a "super 5" or "super10" between the 5 leagues could be an excelent way to improve the soccer in that countries.

5. Twellman20

Twellman20 New Member

Mar 5, 2006
    NJ
    http://education.yahoo.com/reference/factbook/as/popula.html

I just looked up the population of Australia and its about 20,090,437 (July 2005 est.). The potential for the league is limited at best with such population. I dont know how Fox executives give a new league with a low population 130 million dollars. I understand the league gets more attention than MLS but the potential to get good ratings is very low. Any one know what tv ratings they get??? I think it was uncle Rupert Murdoch throwing his home country a bone. Hey Rupert thanks for ripping off MLS on the tv deal...

6. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    rio de janeiro state in brazil have 18 millions of people, portugal 10 millions, then, population isnt a great limit.
    unless you want to put australia in the top 4 soccer leagues of the world.

7. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    They have an Asian champions league, it's not very popular.

8. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    And the A3 cup (with 2 japanese clubs and 1 korean and 1 chinese).

but in think it need time to be popular.

9. wufc

wufc Member

May 1, 2005
    UC Irvine
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what i've heard, the Asian Champions League's popularity is practically limited to the Middle East, where there are strong club rivalries. Even when Korean and Japanese clubs face other, crowds are minimal and media coverage is non-existant.

10. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Frank Lowy, who now controls Sydney FC, suggested the other day that his ideal is to eventually take the top teams from the A-League and form an Asian super league. Here are his comments from the Sydney Morning Herald:

It is an interesting idea still in its infancy obviously, but the idea of taking some of the new leagues and creating a super league -- a true champions league, in effect, could have tremendous appeal to fans and advertisers.

Link:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/football...ian-superleague/2006/08/21/1156012474942.html

11. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    is a good ideal, may be work with a huge sponsor.

12. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    http://www.a-league.com.au/

Interesting thing: they don't include attendance numbers on their website as far as I can tell and, they also include visible links to the FFA.

One thing that always made me wonder is why MLS doesn't have a more prominent link to US Soccer on their site.

For those wondering about attendance, from what I've heard its about on par with MLS or slightly lower.

Anyway here's hoping they announce a CONCACAF Champions League soon!

13. LINCOLN CITY FC

Oct 8, 2004
    Lincolnshire,England
    Club:
    Lincoln City FC
    Their league only started yesterday and the first two games had the following attendance

Queensland Roar v Perth Glory - 20,606
    Melbourne Victory v Adelaide United - 15,781

There are more games today

14. jade1mls

jade1mls Member

Jul 9, 2006
    Seattle
    Fixed your post.

By the way, av attendance for opening week here this year was something like 19,300.
    Season openers are always well attended, thats in any league i think...

here's last year's season's A-League numbers:

Team City Region Home Ground Capacity Avg Crowd

Adelaide United FC Adelaide SA Hindmarsh Stadium 16,500 10,947
    Central Coast Mariners FC Gosford NSW Central Coast Stadium 20,059 7,899
    Melbourne Victory Melbourne VIC Olympic Park 18,500 14,157
    Newcastle United Jets Newcastle NSW EnergyAustralia Stadium 28,000 8,486
    New Zealand Knights FC Auckland NZL North Harbour Stadium 25,000 3,909
    Perth Glory F.C. Perth WA Members Equity Stadium 18,450 9,734
    Queensland Roar FC Brisbane QLD Suncorp Stadium 52,000 14,785
    Sydney FC Sydney NSW Aussie Stadium 41,159 16,668​

15. Sempuukyaku

Sempuukyaku Member+

Apr 30, 2002
    Seattle, WA
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This has been said (by me) OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN, but I'll repeat it once again here.....

MLS, nor the A-League, cannot be compared to the J-League. AT ALL. The J-League is simply not a "new" league in the sense of MLS or the A-League. That would be like calling the Premiership "new" because it was formed in the 90s. Get my drift now? Many J-League clubs have been around for decades, whereas all of the MLS clubs have been around for exactly 11 years.

No comparisons, please.

16. leg_breaker

leg_breaker Member

Dec 23, 2005
    There were plenty of teams in America that were decades old, no-one forced MLS to invent some new franchises with no history.

17. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Sydney FC drew 19,274 at Aussie Stadium for their opening match.

18. RfrancisR

RfrancisR Member+

Aug 7, 2006
    New Orleans Diaspora
    What's your point?

19. sidis

sidis Member

Jun 2, 2006
    Itaguaí-RJ - Brazil
    nice crowds.

20. Nico Limmat

Nico Limmat Member+

Oct 24, 1999
    Dubai, UAE
    Club:
    Grasshopper Club Zürich
    Nat'l Team:
    Switzerland
    Actually three A-League teams were already playing in the old NSL: Adelaide United, Perth Glory, and Newcastle.

21. purpleronnie

purpleronnie New Member

May 29, 2006
    I like the fact both MLS and the League attract big immigrant crowds, very rare to see that in the rest of the world.

22. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    I think it's more about Fox gambling on what could be a good thing.

Over a decade ago when Super 14 rugby started, Fox went out on a limb when the game was just becoming professional, the league was new and nobody else was interested in buying the rights. Fox Sports is now the home of rugby union, and it's one of their biggest ratings-spinners. The guy who was running the Australian Rugby Union then is now the CEO of Football Federation Australia.

They picked up the A-League rights for a song in the first season, and were so impressed by the figures and the potential for growth that they upped the fees massively to secure the rights for a longer period. It's still pretty small potatoes as far as TV rights in Australia are concerned though - by comparison, the AFL's latest deal was almost 7 times the size.

You can find the attendences on the match reports - click on "Fixtures & Results", then choose the completed round you want to look at. It lists the reports there.

I think that the league here is associated and run much more closely with the FFA than MLS is with USSF.

23. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll be the first to say it

Move New Zealand!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

24. irishapple21

irishapple21 Member

Apr 4, 2005
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Turks and Caicos Islands
    Yeah, they should move to Tasmania and they can change the name to something X-TREME like "The Tasmania Maniacs". :p

25. Aaron d

Aaron d Member+

May 15, 2005
    Wooster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or the Tasmanian Red Devils.