How does ESPN/MLS decide which games to televise?

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Shibb, Apr 28, 2006.

1. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FSC is not showing MLS anymore, afaik.

FSN is only an option if you have a local MLS club. Nothing even close to local to us.

Satellite is not a good option when you get hurricanes and very strong thunderstorms that can pop up at short notice, imo. Don't know if there is a "direct kick" option on my cable, but I've not noticed it yet. I'll have to look.

2. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Your points was that there were plenty of other stations aside from ESPN2 to watch MLS for a "small fee." Well, ESPN2 is cheaper than those channels.

3. quentinc

quentinc New Member

Jan 3, 2005
    Annapolis, MD
    You're right. I guess I just assumed that the leading soccer channel in the United States would show the best league in the United States:rolleyes:

No, my point was that ESPN2 is the only feasible network MLS is broadcast on where a casual sports fan might stop and decide to watch. And there are only two people currently playing in MLS who the majority of casual sports fans would recognize. Landon Donovan and Freddy Adu. Unless one of those two people are playing, they're probably going to have zero interest in continuing to watch, in which case we've lost a potential fan.