How do your high-school music faves hold up?

Discussion in 'Movies, TV and Music' started by bojendyk, Dec 1, 2004.

1. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My music tastes expanded dramatically from the time I started high school to the time I graduated (1994).

My first two years of high school were spent on metal and prog-rock and "alternative" music: Rush, King's X, Anthrax, Megadeth, Metallica, Helmet, Biohazard, Smashing Pumpkins, Nirvana, Soundgarden, Morphine, Rage Against the Machine, etc.

My last two years, I started listening to stuff like Phish, Midnight Oil, U2, Oasis, Radiohead, etc. I didn't really dump any of the previous stuff though.

I generally will still listen to just about any of that with with good memories though there are several bands on those two lists that I don't own anything by anymore.

2. hobbes

hobbes Member

Jul 26, 1999
    regina, saskatchewan
    Well I'm 10 years younger than you, but we seem to be on the same wave length though I think you should listen to Candy Apple Grey by Husker Du again. I think that record hold up pretty well. I'd say that Meat Puppets II should still hold really well (and strangely I like Meat Puppets a lot more now than I first did, but I completely understand those that can't get into it. The reissue CD with bonus tracks will ensure that no one will bother you at work). Sister is still my favourite SY album, while I don't rate Evol as much. I don't think Bad Moon Rising compares with the other quality they were putting out then, but it's still a decent lp. Definitely not in the same class as Sister or Daydream Nation though.

It's funny, it's been 20 years, but that early hardcore still blows people's minds. I know a few HS kids who just discovered Land Speed Record, the first Bad Brains lp and Minor Threat.

cheers,
    hobbes

3. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just discovered The Stone Roses self-titled album, which more than holds up. That was before my high school years though...