How do you take your penalty kicks?

Discussion in 'Player' started by jtowns3, Jun 25, 2004.

1. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Specifically, it's bending the ball toward the kicking foot, i.e. bending to the right with the right foot, or to the left with the left foot. Typically, if a ball is curled, it goes in the other direction.

2. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    In other words what Beckham does! Are you not paying attention to Uncle Adam's advice? I said Do not and i stress this take a penalty like Becks unless you want to look a fool. lol

3. senorbuckwheat

senorbuckwheat New Member

Jun 7, 2004
    When I make any mistake on the field, I look at the turf like there is something wrong with it or I act like I am injured afterwards or examine my shoe. It is never my fault.

4. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah why doesn't Beckham jus accept he messed up, people would probably like him better for it.

5. sunburnt

sunburnt New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Elgin, Il
    i blast thate mofo in like i blast a duke out of my ass. no kidding either

6. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
  7. sunburnt

sunburnt New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Elgin, Il
    yea sorry i only blast it with my right foot.i usually place with my left foot and i keep it low. i usually decide what to do when i start to take the kick.

8. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    as a keeper, i hate mashers that hit the ball as hard as they can down the middle, but then again it doesn't matter what i hate in a PK ahah

For whoever said that keepers need not guess, it's either guess and move early or not save anything @ a decent level.

9. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's worked for me, six out of six times. I haven't ever seen Beckham take a penalty, actually.

10. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It'll make you laugh so i recommend, it will also put you off banana kicks for life !

11. Case

Case Member

May 5, 2004
    Cambridge, England
    Yea, he has a few things to answer for, but thats not really one of them. See it in slow mo, and u actually see the ball leave the ground when he plants his standing foot next to it. For more evidence, look at before Cristiano takes his, he's jumping on it with both his sassy gold vapors, and when he gets off eachtime, it rises up again, like a mini-pitching mound from baseball.
    Now why he didn't run much, now that he can take criticism for....

12. PizzicatoJive

PizzicatoJive New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Hovermale's
    Becks7, nice to have another keeper in the thread. I think you (and Kristian) are mistaking what I said earlier. Actually, it seems like we're close to agreeing. You're right, if you don't move before the shot, you don't really have a chance. Especially when so many people decide to mash it into the goal.
    But that would be reacting to the ball, not the shot. The shot is based on the player's movements, before and while striking the ball. So it's that information that I react to. But yeah, I move before the ball does. When a keeper does it right though, and the attacker isn't skilled at hiding the clues, it's not guessing. Maybe we should start a keeper thread? (How do you save your penalty kicks?)

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Usually straight, perhaps a slice of lemon and tonic water if I'm after something lighter. On the rocks in summer, perfect after a long hot day.

14. sunburnt

sunburnt New Member

Apr 19, 2004
    Elgin, Il
    back to the beckham thing, i dont know why people think he's horrible at taking pk's. if you watch old videos, he takes them brilliantly.

15. m.u.f.c

m.u.f.c New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    england, manchester
    i now i think he is still a great penalty taker even though he did that over the bar that dont make him sh** and when barthez saved it that wos a good penalty but with a good save so u cant blame him luk at when he put us through in the world cup against argentina that wos a good penalty the keeper had no chance

16. jtowns3

jtowns3 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Chicago

yeah i agree. he should have hit it low somewhere in the vicinity of the middle of the goal. if the keeper touches it, it probably goes in. if he gets a hold of it...it would sting. I dont know, becks has to learn how to take his PK's like he did in the world cup against argentina!

17. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong
    it's not that Becks is a bad PK taker, i'm sure for the 3 ******** up's we've seen, he's hit 100 perfect ones in practice/other games.

had becks missed a PK, 4 years ago, no big deal ...but it's just that he's been unlucky on 3 consecutive attempts...

18. ConorM

ConorM New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    For whoever was enquiring, it is against the rules to stop your run up once its started when taking a penalty. The Portugese players that do it, do it legally as if you watch slow motion replays they never come to a complete stop throughout the motion. They usually slam their foot into the ground to put the keeper off. I don't see how they could stop this as its perfectly fair. If They tripped themselves up then the penalty would break that specific rule and wouldn't count.

As for penalties there is one way to take them if you want to score them consistently, if you hit them hard then you will never miss unless you miss the target, pure and simple. No keeper has ever saved a powerful shot into the side netting from a penalty I am sure. Matt Le Tissier was the world's greatest penalty taker, he scored 39 out of 40 in his career. Only missing one were he hit it too low and the keeper made the best penalty save I have ever seen. You hit the ball with power, into the top corner or very bottom corner, no keeper will ever save it. Pros should be accurate enough to never miss, theres no real excuse for not scoring 9 out of 10 penalties. For amateur players obviously their accuracy is not as good but as long as its reasonable and you have a decent shot, you should still score almost every time if you are intelligent about it.

Oh and Beckham is a woeful Penalty taker, compared to Van Nistelrooy, Shearer, Del Piero, Zidane or other great takers. Whilst probably the best striker of a dead ball in the world, he is rubbish at penalties. WHy? Because he is so one dimensional with his kicks. The keeper knows its going in one of two places, with power, making the choice of where to dive easy. His run up is very predictable making it obvious were he is going to go for a good keeper, so therefore if the keeper chooses a way based on this run up he has a better than 50% chance of getting it right. He has no disguise whatsoever. The angle his body makes with thr ground is brilliant at swerving a ball over a wall, but no good for consistent powerful penalties. If he conects with one right in the corner which he can, no keeper will save it, but the way he takes them ensures that this will never happen consistently. He will continue to lose grip with the standing foot and be second guessed by keepers. The keeper in the 2002 wc should have saved it as it was so obvious he was hitting it down the middle. Even then he kept it low which is wrong as the keeper can save with his legs. He got lucky vs Argentina.

19. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I disagree i think his penalty against Argentina was crap he just hit it hard and down the middle the keeper was about 30cm from it even though he was on his knee and guessed the wrong way. If he had done it the other way...

20. guado

guado Member+

Jun 30, 2004
    ocotengo miedo
    Club:
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Nat'l Team:
    Indonesia
    makign a hard stomp is allowed, its not considered stopping. this is how zico took his p.k.s. i shoot mine the way my dad taught me - at first, i line up, and i wander from side to side, so the keeper doesn't know which side i will pick. then i make eye contact with the keeper, then look around, and wander around the edge of teh box some more.(this is completely unneccessary, btu it can make a keeper nervous as hell.) the key is how i line up - about the edge of the box, directly behind the ball, with my sight down then i run in a straight line, and whichever foot i'm not kicking with is pointed straight. then i shoot with whichever foot is more comfortable (i decide a few steps before before i get to the ball.). my dad was pretty good with both his feet and can still do this even though he's 50 and has battered knees and ankles. but it's always low, and NEVER ever to the center. i've never missed a pk when i do this and only once has a keeper dove for the p.k. the other times the keepers stood and watched it go in.

21. Becks7

Becks7 Member

Dec 6, 2000
    Hong Kong

22. jtowns3

jtowns3 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Chicago
    I just watched the PK highlight from the world cup again and i guess i think that it is a good PK because it was struck with so much pace. I do agree with you that the keeper should have and could have saved it but if he was going to strike the hell outta the ball and hit it down the middle, he did a good job. maybe it looked (argentina 2002) so good because of his misses in this tournament... :p

23. ConorM

ConorM New Member

Jun 6, 2004
    You don't have to use on fluid motion, what sort of rule would that be. Impossible to enforce. As for the keeper coming off the line, it is a common occurence and is almost never called enough. The run up thing is different, no one hardly ever stops completely. Throughout this whole tournament not one player has stopped completely if you watch the slow motion replays.

24. servotron

servotron New Member

Mar 4, 2004
    St Paul, MN
    The secret is to stay calm. Trying too hard will almost ALWAYS get yourself a field goal, and that's not the kind of goal we're looking for.

I take two steps back, stop, and take two steps forward to kick it very hard about 5 feet off the ground every time. There's just no chance for the keeper, and that's they way it's supposed to be. I can't ever remember missing a PK I've taken, so I think my method is working :)

25. AE1603s

AE1603s New Member

Jun 27, 2004
    New York
    I take the penalties for my club team and school team... I'm not really sure what I do, but I get a goalie to move, and I just put it to the other side. And if he doesnt move, I just put it to a corner. Simple, hard, accurte, and I dont try or think too hard about what I'm doing. I acutally walk to the ball, and about 2-3 steps from the ball, I actually go into my kicking motion