How do you take your penalty kicks?

Discussion in 'Player' started by jtowns3, Jun 25, 2004.

1. amanzo81

amanzo81 Member

Apr 30, 2003
    home
    Club:
    Club América
    Dont know if anyone saw the mexican league final that went to penalty kick a week back. Adolfo bautista didnt take any run up to he ball at all. He placed the ball down, took a step to the side, then fired as soon as the ref gave the signal. Why dont more players try this? If you shoot the ball well, a big run up isnt going to make a difference. And this way, the keeper has less of a chance to pick up any hints on shot placement that you may give. Just a thought thought, any comments?

2. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Doesn't it specifly state in the LOTG that once the kick taker starts towards the kick he cannot stop at all, they can slow down and run awkwardly but can't stop like Croni did. :D

3. Fat Mike

Fat Mike New Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Broken Arrow, OK

Back Heel

4. FusionPlayer

FusionPlayer New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Alberta, Canada
    can someone post a site that has a clip of his penalty kick?

5. Callump

Callump New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    i tend to put my pks in the back of the net.

6. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    yeah, I know what you're saying, but then we were u-12. not many people guessed at that age.

I assure you that the goals are the same size for high school and professional. 8 yards long, 8 feet high.
    Austen

7. Callump

Callump New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    our goals are bigger than that.

8. dex1

dex1 New Member

Mar 27, 2004
    England, Coventry.
    I Place The Ball Down Walk Backwards Facing The Goalie Then Take A Step To The Left And Run Up The Switch To The Other Side At The Last Moment And Hit The Ball With The Outside Of My Rite Foot Into The Bottem Right. When You Take A Pk Your Non Kicking Foot Should Step Infront Of The Ball So You Cant Lean Bac And Ski It.

9. C. Ronaldo7

C. Ronaldo7 New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    You know how Beckham takes them? Well I take them the complete opposite way.

10. FusionPlayer

FusionPlayer New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Alberta, Canada
    so that means you don't shoot it to the top row? lol

11. C. Ronaldo7

C. Ronaldo7 New Member

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    Man, I saw a highlight, that wasn't even close.

12. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    the argument kristian was making is that goals in HS are smaller. I doubt that your goals are bigger, because no one makes goals bigger than 8 ft x 24 ft, but that's the size that the pros play on. see the laws of the game (fifa.com)
    Austen

13. FusionPlayer

FusionPlayer New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Alberta, Canada
    Beckham said when he planted his foot the ball must of lifted cause there is no way it could og gone the way it did from there..........someones trying to cover up their stupidity I've seen lots of people hit it high from the pk mark

14. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've only taken PKs in shootouts. I used to pass it in to the lower left corner like Cole did against Portugal. Now I blast it right down the middle about 7 feet in the air, occasionally clipping the crossbar or accidentaly going upper 90, I've never had it saved in a shootout.

15. FusionPlayer

FusionPlayer New Member

Apr 20, 2004
    Alberta, Canada
    in the holland/sweden an swedish guy missed high and then the announcer said "well he's beckhamed it" not only does beckham have a shoe made after him he has a soccer move named after him but I don't know how popular it is gonna be lol..............no offence to the beckham fans

16. Gman60000

Gman60000 New Member

Jun 13, 2004
    United States
    In theory I would probably just use the side of my foot and hit it on the ground with as much power as possible. I would aim it to the extreme left or right of the keeper but I would try and throw him off first. If the keeper is crafty he'll most likely look where your plant foot is pointing, so you could point it in the opposite direction but you could still sweep your foot across your body and drill the ball in the side netting with some pace near the ground. It would take a good deal of practice though getting the hang of hitting it away from the GK and using the cross over type kick. This is what Ronaldo did a couple of times in the Argentina game...(yes it's ridiculous to compare oneself to Ronaldo but he simply used deception to throw the GK off then he placed it perfectly, it's a winning combination)

Or if you do not want to get fancy place it well near the corner and do not let it leave the ground...but instep the ****** out of it full power. Ricardo style.

17. Callump

Callump New Member

Mar 14, 2004
    Orlando, Florida
    terrible way to take a pk.

18. m.u.f.c

m.u.f.c New Member

Jun 19, 2004
    england, manchester
    i put all my pk in the bottom right corner and every time i have done this i have scored in a game situation and when i cum up 2 take onother in the same ame i just hit it straight down the middle because he might think i will go the same way and the keeper does go the way u just went

19. soccer4life_7

soccer4life_7 Member

Mar 2, 2004
    Canada
    i do the same thing but if i take two in the same game i'll put the second in the opposite corner. plus what foot do u shoot wif ..i shoot wif my right

20. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    I shoot it in the same place. You can still shoot in the same place, thanks to the wonders of reverse psychology.

21. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost always look like I'm going to place it to my left. My actual distribution is about two-thirds to lower right corner, often putting it there with a banana kick (I'm right-footed, and I can hit a decent banana kick), and the rest of the time to upper left corner. I have not yet missed a penalty kick in a competitive situation, out of six; I've taken one during a match and five in penalty shootouts.

22. #1Keeper

#1Keeper Member+

Feb 7, 2004
    What the hell is a banana kick?

23. nihonjin07

nihonjin07 New Member

Feb 25, 2003
    japan
    i dont think about where my teammates placed their shots or where the keeper dove on the previous kicks. if our team goes into a shootout i tell myself where i am going to kick it before the shootout begins. if i miss....i miss...if i score..i score. that's how shootouts go sometimes. they say the kicker has the advantage. that may be somewhat true, but the kicker has a lot of pressure on them. being the 1st, 5th, or taking a kick in a sudden death each kick has pressure on them. so i try to just sit down and relax before i take my kick if its in a shootout. if it is an in game kick i normally stand ready but i look at the sky and clear my mind. but when i take my kick i put a lot of power behind it. most of the time i take penalty kicks with my right foot.

24. sweet action

sweet action New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Oklahoma
    it's another name for bending tha ball

25. romagol10

romagol10 Member

Jul 23, 2003
    CO
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I agree, I posted that to see if anyone would call me out on it, it's ridiculous and if I tried it with the pressure on I wouldn't be suprised to see it fly over the bar. I only do that when messing around before or after practice. I haven't even taken a penalty in over a year, but next time I do I'm sure I'll place it like I alwys have.