How do you take your penalty kicks?

Discussion in 'Player' started by jtowns3, Jun 25, 2004.

1. jtowns3

jtowns3 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Chicago
    I was just wondering how people take their penalties. I used to try and place ball to one side or the other or hit the side netting. after a couple of unfortunate misses(shot off the post, saved by keeper etc..) i have opted for the blasted approach. I havent missed yet and because i tend to hit the ball really hard (like a drive) even if the keeper gets a touch, it usually goes in.
    just curious. thanks.

2. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I almost always lean away and go top right because I am right footed and get a lot of power that way, they almost always hit the top corner exact too. My secondary choice is low left corner because it is comfortable. On a few occasions I toe the ball because you get a lot of power and create a knuckling effect (I do this in games a lot too). I usually don't like trying anything else for fear of screwing up.

3. Tony Dellbird

Tony Dellbird English and Proud

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I always vary where i'm going to hit them, i like to put them top corner but the keepers always tend to dive quite high.

Whatever you do don't watch Beckham!

4. (TxT)

(TxT) Member+

Jun 9, 2004
    Tampa, FL
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

lolololololol :D

5. PizzicatoJive

PizzicatoJive New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Hovermale's
    Absolutely right! If you want to miss spectacularly, do it like Baggio, and wait for the World Cup championship game.

6. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    best to wait for the keeper to move, staying open to hit to either side - that being said, i've won a lot more penalties than i've taken

7. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I don't agree with the stamping and stuttering which is always assosciated with Spanish and Portuguese, it's unfairly gaining an advantage and where does the silliness stop? Soon people will be runnin up trippin themselves up, and while the keeper is pissin his pants just chippin it in. (Example may be overexaggerated)

8. BTFOOM

BTFOOM Member+

Apr 5, 2004
    MD, USA
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I usually pick the side where I want to go (low and to my right) before I set the ball. As I approach the ball, I look at the keeper a step before I strike the ball. If he moves, I simply pass the ball to the other side. If he does not move, I stick with my initial thought. All it takes is about 10 - 15 min practices every day for about a week to get used to it (trust me, if I can do it your 10 year old daughter can too).

I have a good friend who uses your method. The only problem is that if you don't strike the ball evenly, it can easily sail over the goal (cough cough Beckham cough cough). The most important thing you need to take penalties is confidence. Any decently skilled U-15+ player has the skill and strength to score on even professional goalies. It's keeping your nerve (see the aside above) that is the trick.

9. Lampard123

Lampard123 New Member

May 17, 2004
    Dundee,Scotland
    I agree with that Ronaldo's penalty last night was a joke.It definately shouldnt be allowed,apart from anything else its unsporting.

10. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yeah Maniche and someone else did it aswell didn't they? Or were they just where they did that ghey chip, Ronaldo played well and i like him and think he's a good player but i couldn't help but insult him his whole family and wish death on him last night, especially when he ran back smilin!

Morale: don't be happy when i'm unhappy lol

11. laytonbaker

laytonbaker New Member

May 27, 2004
    I almost never took penalties because I was, admittedly, a little bit a of wild player and my shots on goal tend to be wild as well. I've missed sitters in my days and I have made some highlight reel kicks as well. I have hard enough time putting strikes on target (that was the extent of my aim) such that my coach would be insane to let me take critical penalties. That really wasn't my game. I was an adequate passer and an okay dribbler but never really good with the touch and accuracy.

I took a total of 4 penalties (all non-critical... we were winning by 3 goals or more) in about 2 seasons that I can remember. I was 2 for 4 but we scored on all 4. Two I hit in cleanly, one I poked in off the rebound from the keeper, and one was poked in by one of my teammates off a rebound from the keeper (that one was the last time I ever took a penalty in a match).

My technique was kick it the crap out of the ball and keep it down...like someone else mentioned, I toe kick it to give it a knuckle effect. But my technique sucks.

The guy who normally took our penalties was insanely good...I'm sure he's playing for money somewhere in the world. He practiced penalties and free kicks by hanging a frisbee (sp?) near the top corners of the goal. He'd hit them (smack or at least clip them) about 50% of the time on penalties Amazing if you ask me. I only ever saw him miss one penalty.

12. jtowns3

jtowns3 New Member

Mar 29, 2004
    Chicago

hahahahahahaha...note to self.

13. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax

i agree - i found Cronaldo's try last night to be completely illegal

14. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    It's weird though Beckham tries to take his penalties like his freekicks, and he goes the same way nearly all the time (apart from last night and what a diff it made lol) and after he arses it up he looks at the ground, the ground was the same for everyone not just Beckham! It was a bad spot though i'll give him that, i'm sure someone tampered with it before he took it

Conspiracy. Conspiracy! Conspiracy!!! Conspiracy?

15. Tony Dellbird

Mar 26, 2004
    Jolly Ol' England
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    haha Cronaldo i like it :)

16. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Just hit it hard somewhere on frame.

17. sweet action

sweet action New Member

Jun 21, 2004
    Oklahoma
    a quick pass into one of the corners...works everytime.

18. japes10

japes10 New Member

Mar 2, 2004
    toronto ont.
    i didnt see c ronaldos pk can someone explain it to me.

19. Andraay

Andraay New Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Glasgow
    Agree.

20. Dr. Boots

Dr. Boots Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I 9 out of ten times go to the lower right side w/ pace using the inside of my foot when striking a PK with my right, if I use my left to strike a pk then I will vary it up(I don't take too many pk's with my left).

I do a weird run up to my shot, it's not anything like Ronaldo's when it borders on breaking a law of the game it just the way I sway my hips, I can't really describe it and my coach tried to replicate it on the training ground and he couldn't figure it out but it's the way I have been doing them since I was 9 years old. It has only failed me once whne I just duffed my shot and struck it too soft.

21. KrystianR9

KrystianR9 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    when i take penalty kicks i usually place the ball but pretty hard. I always look to the right side before i kick the ball, and when im in motion of hittin the ball i look to right again. Also i kick the ball so it looks like it will go to the right. Usuaully goalies go for it. The dive to the right. I havent missed any PKs during the game but i dont take alot of them.

Power shot to top orner is to dangerous in way of missing that why most pro players shoot on the ground or in the middle. When a goalie is good and know that the only way to save a PK it to guess than you have to be good at fooling them because if they dive hard on a placement they might save it. But many goalies on HS level doesnt know that he has to guess. One of the golaies on my team dives when the ball is in the net already ;). But the starting goalie is good at it but some player lough when he goes to the opposite side oof the ball. You can automatically tell they dont watch soccer. But oh well thats how i take PKs.

22. PizzicatoJive

PizzicatoJive New Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Hovermale's
    I'm sorry, but a goalkeeper doesn't HAVE to guess by any means. In fact, they really shouldn't ever. You make it seem as if it's nearly a 50/50 chance; if the goalkeeper guesses right, you miss the shot, if not, you've got the goal (provided you can pass it accurately on net).
    Actually, the shooter has a much more difficult time than this in a penalty kick situation. A big reason for this is precedent and pressure. They're expected to make it, but it's not that simple. There have been enough goalkeepers in history (and high school, contrary to what you might think) to believe that guessing is the right way to stop a penalty, that now it's fairly well believed that they don't have a clue, and making the shot is easy. Because of this, shooters believe that their shot needs to be quick, to beat the keeper if they did happen to guess correctly. The truth of it though, if the goalkeeper is well-trained, he should stop all but the best, most well-placed shots. There are all kinds of clues to read before the kick happens, and even more while the kick is happening. A successful penalty shot is one that disguises those clues and leaves the keeper with either no certainty, or feints him to the wrong direction. Success is not a powerful shot. You should be well aware of your center of gravity, your angle to the goal, your forward/rearward posture as you strike the ball, the position of your foot (to the center/side of the ball, and center/side of your instep), and even the angle of your ankle. There's more than that, but you get the idea. There are ways to tell from each of these which direction your shot will go.

23. dasoccerplayafosho

Jun 30, 2003
    Utah USA
    yeah, don't watch beckham. I wonder if that ended up in the top row, or it it cleared the stadium completely. Watch Portugal's keeper. That was a great penalty. I like to choose one side, and practice it until I have that side down. It's easier than trying to switch. I can hit all four corners quite consistantly now, though I've only taken 7 PKs during games. Made all of them, but one I shouldn't have I was just looking at one corner a little more on purpose, he dove to that side, then I accidentally hit it right down the middle. Still went in. Drawing them off with your eyes is fun. It just makes them nervous.
    Austen

24. KrystianR9

KrystianR9 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    well by guessing I mean try to read a player and pick a corner and dive to it right when the players is kicking the ball. Well the goals are bigger in pro soccer than in HS i belive. If you think im wrong you dont watch soccer man. GOalies guess to save a PK...they cant dive after player kicks the ball. It be too late. Read the players foot and dive. THATS ALL

25. KrystianR9

KrystianR9 New Member

Feb 5, 2004
    When Ricardo (poruguess goalie) saved the Pk yesterday. You think he didnt guess?? he did guys...there is no other way to save a shot like that. ;)...how many times did the goalies last night went to the oppisite side of the ball? most of the time. ;) so think about it.