How Do You Replace a Legend? - The Transfers, Rumors & Lies Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Jun 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    I'm just not moved at all by Davies and I'm also not convinced he really fits the way we want to think he'd fit as an attacking fullback. I'm more convinced by the day, unsexy as it is, that our best choice is running it back with Mendy and an attacking-minded backup and investing at other positions instead. I'm probably trying to talk myself into that as opposed to it being the actual likely outcome, but I'm not seeing the difference maker we want to think we're seeing there.

2. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    So the last 8 months or so are invalid because of one game in the CL?

I don't think it's a hot take that he's not played it well with the club. If he so desperately wants to join Madrid, why not just do what Bellingham did and tell them right away?

At this point his agent is kind of forcing everybody into short term negotiations while we could have approached this a lot more calmly over an extended period.

I don't really feel like we've agreed with the terms Bayern have turned down for him. I don't really believe it. Otherwise what's the point of letting them hang around?

3. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bayern are not Dortmund who always act like a selling club without creating drama when a star wants out. They have official clauses like with Haaland and unofficial agreement like with Bellingham to let them go after 3 seasons. While at Bayern with old Lewa wanting out, there was a drawn out saga with public comments, Bayern initially wanting 60 ME and settling for 45 ME odd after several bids.

I don't know if we have agreed terms with Davies yet though the likes of Romano said it won't be a stumbling block between RM and him. That was the narrative when Rudiger and Alaba were linked with RM on bosman as well. Negotiations between RM and Bayern itself for Davies will take a while unlike Bellingham situation where everything was agreed with Dortmund by May.

4. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Which means this process could be made easier if he just tells them he wants to leave the club. I don't really see the purpose in holding out till the summer if he's set on leaving and has already decided where he's going to.

5. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well …. yes and no, he was beaten on that play no two ways about that and I was one that praised him, at that time it wasn't just about one game vs Farca, i just cannot judge players on one game alone, can't do it, he looked good against us and i've watched some games he's played because of that, seems decent generally both on and off the ball, at no point am i saying he's the best i've ever seen but to be honest, if we are going to judge by that criteria, they aren’t and never were any FB’s worth talking about, Roberto Carlos got cooked, Maldini got cooked, Marcelo got cooked, Carvajal, Trent, Walker, Cafu.....the list is endless, even Davies has been cooked, i don't think that's a good way to gage a player's ability generally but, just my opinion.

Galatico and J-Mezzy repped this.
  6. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    My point was how Nunes defensive frialities have been ignored in big games and praised while Davies has been proclaimed as washed after Bundesliga games. Let not kid ourselves, no one who praised Nunes here watch PSG Ligue 1 games except that Mbappe fan. Nunes praise was after the 1st leg in which he wasn't that good defensively either.

7. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    Davies benched for this game is a spectacular - but merited - indictment against him.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  8. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Bayern kept clean sheet with Mazra as LB. Guess we won't see Davies play in semis either.

I think we will still go for him. We have had Marcelo, Coentrao (30 M). Maybe Mendy and Davies with Fran leaving?

9. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    *24 hours later*

We are still celebrating and laughing!

Shay Z, russian hattie, Deep Pal and 4 others repped this.
  10. Akramzizou

Akramzizou Member+

Feb 13, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    With every game it becomes harder and harder to justify moving on from Mendy. The guy is clueless in attack but such a rock in defense.

Deep Pal, Doni and Saeta Rubia repped this.
  11. Doni

Doni Member+

Dec 4, 2010
    London
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Back to his best.

12. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Probably a reason Carlo loves him and wants him renewed. If we sign Davies, is he prepared to share th role?

13. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    Yes. Mendy is back to his defensive wall form. Absolutely a lockdown defender on his flank.

Anon. and Deep Pal repped this.
  14. YOUNGSTARS87

YOUNGSTARS87 Yellow C@rd Bandit

Dec 21, 2005
    Makes me wonder if he had been dealing wirh a significant injury because he was really really bad then this season just recovered

Ssr9, Anon. and Bear Crotch repped this.
  15. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #11515 MiamiNative0722, Apr 17, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    He was suspended due to yellow card accumulation. That's a spectacular and merited indictment? My lord the exaggeration.

Mazraoui played LB (out of position) because Guerreiro had to play LW because Coman and Gnabry were hurt. Cmon guys, not doing the homework. We will absolutely see Davies play in the semi's

Deep Pal and libertao repped this.
  16. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    Merited in the sense that he's not been playing well recently, but my apologies, I should've edited that post when I found out that he was out due to suspension and not coach's decision (but I was a little busy watching another game, admittedly).

MiamiNative0722 and Ahmadi8 repped this.
  17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    That's good news for us. He tends to leave enough space behind him to launch a space craft out of.

Deep Pal repped this.
  18. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, hopefully we torch him

Deep Pal repped this.
  19. Anon.

Anon. Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mr Leny Yoro, I hope you were watching the match last night...

Shay Z, Saeta Rubia and Deep Pal repped this.
  20. Umar

Umar Member+

Sep 13, 2005
    One step ahead
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Palestine
    Every once in a while I think about Xavi getting his red card, and his expressions when he was jumping and gesticulating and kicking things over remind me of when I first put my daughter in a jumparoo when she was three.

yoanaidarov, MerlinRM, meringues and 7 others repped this.
  21. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid

Weirdo.

yoanaidarov, Anon., Saeta Rubia and 2 others repped this.
  22. .halamadrid2.

.halamadrid2. Member+

Nov 5, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Will be hilarious if we deliver the final nail in their coffin. The meltdown will be popcorn worthy

yoanaidarov, Digital, MerlinRM and 5 others repped this.
  23. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    We have the chance to to do them this week what they did to us in 2019, when we had that week where Barcelona eliminated us from the Copa, more-or-less ended our La Liga hopes during the weekend, and then we lost to Ajax in the return leg of the CL.

We can't eliminate them from two competitions, but winning the Clásico would shave our magic number from 14 down to 7 in an instant and end La Liga entirely.

...but with the day less rest, plus having gone 120 minutes, we're going to have problems being ready for that game physically. Tchouaméni will play instead of Camavinga, I'm guessing, but I don't know what other changes you can even make. That was our best available XI yesterday, as you would expect, but a Clásico also demands our best available XI too. I hope the boys get a day or two off from training so that they can recover their legs.

libertao repped this.
  24. Bear Crotch

Bear Crotch Member+

Jan 2, 2008
    Ohio, United States
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    We'll be okay. Xavi will take Yamal off at the half.

Digital and J-Mezzy repped this.
  25. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia

Let’s see if Mendy can keep him in check. Will be a good matchup