How Do You Replace a Legend? - The Transfers, Rumors & Lies Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Jun 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    I think a lot of the shine on Davies is rapidly getting washed off, if not with the club then at least with the fans. Davies has been dreadful recently, I'm not even sure why he's still starting right now for Bayern when they have Guerreiro in the squad.

Whether that'll stop the club, I dunno, can't really take a guess at that, at a minimum I hope they keep their bid modest and don't get desperate to sign him; if Bayern hold a firm line, then call their bluff and move on. Nuno Mendes contract runs through 2026 and, far more importantly, is a PSG player, so I don't see that option opening up this summer.

(As an aside...since marketing does still pop up as well sometimes when talking about pursuing certain players, Davies [I'm guessing] would be the first North American player to play for Real Madrid, but he's a Canadian international. Now please don't get me wrong, personally I love Canada, I love hockey, I love the anthem, I have nothing but great things to say about Canada. But Canada isn't the United States, and signing a Canadian international isn't going to make waves in the United States. And that's fine, there isn't an American international good enough to be a Real Madrid player right now so I don't care to see the club pursue one for that purpose, but if there is any thought at all that Davies is both a market opportunity but also marketing opportunity, I think it's going to end in disappointment. Canada's population and general football reputation probably isn't much of a needle mover.)

2. TheDude47

TheDude47 Member+

Jun 17, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Hugo Sanchez and Javier Hernandez were here not too long :whistling:

3. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    Mendes has contract until 2026 with QSG so there's no "going for" option.

Shay Z, Digital, libertao and 2 others repped this.
  4. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    Damn, blame that on the general American way of teaching things where Central America is kinda considered its own thing apart from North America, because obviously you're right. Keylor Navas and Mariano Diaz also fit those parameters...well, Diaz has Dominican citizenship as well, anyway...

libertao repped this.
  5. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I think Davies being free is whats making him most attractive (besides being young and coming from a top team) but imo I don't see him panning out as a long-term signing.

6. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He won't be free this summer. And Bayern apparently wants to sell him now if he isn't renewing rather than let him lose for nothing in 2025.

7. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I agree with you, attacks and defends well IMO, but most want Davies and also it’s been said he’s at PSG so no way out at the moment, I would think he’d be pretty expensive as well

Galatico repped this.
  8. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nuno Mendes was out for 11 months with a hamstring injury. The guy has a decent showing where they concede 3 to Barca and all of a sudden he’s the one Madrid needs in here.

It’s not to say he’s a bad player, but it’s pretty whimsical to put him on the wish list

And in the same breath they’ll call Davies injury prone

9. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Well I don’t know about anyone else here but long before Davies was an option for us I posted here that I liked what I saw from Nuno Mendes, didn’t know him before he went to PSG but was very impressed with him when we played them, as for his injury record I have no real idea, but if he was out that long that’s absolutely not a good sign

Raul-7 repped this.
  10. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    They were both wonderful. Wish we'd sign another Mexican at some point.

Saeta Rubia and temesgen repped this.
  11. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    TBH I think the Mexican league plays better soccer than MLS

12. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    North America is Mexico, U.S, and Canada. Below that to Panama is Central America

and then Colombia and down is South America

13. Dr. MvN

Dr. MvN Member+

Real Madrid
    United States
    Oct 22, 2018
    Estados Unidos
    I hear MLS is getting better, for the sake of American talent development I hope it's getting better (a strong MLS can only be a good thing for the sport), but I hardly ever find myself getting around to watching it other than MLS Cup Final (which almost always airs against NFL games, and I will always choose the NFL in that case) or the occasional game that I happen to channel surf onto...during the summer, I'm far more likely to browse around for Brazilian league games or Copa Libertadores than I am likely to watch MLS, it's just never captured my attention.

If my local team (Tampa Bay) ever got "promoted" to MLS, maybe that would change - I'm not sorry that I just can't care about USL - but with two teams already in the MLS from Florida, one of them only two hours away, it's probably not happening anytime soon if ever. This "market" is already covered even if I'll never root for an Orlando team in my life.

14. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    MLS has gotten a lot better

15. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    He was always highly-rated as a youth player and is still only 21.

16. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I watched a bit over the years and it's ok. I would compare it to second division European football right now. Possibly a touch below the British second division which is for me the best second division in Europe.

18. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    What do you guys think of Juni's contract with Real? Is there any chance other clubs could pounce on him?

He seems to be by far the most important piece of Madrid's machinery right now after the manager.

Best scout in the world.

19. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    These kinds of deals rarely work out if we're honest, Monchi was a magician for Sevilla then wherever he pitched his tent after that the results were very mediocre.

20. Nir_O

Nir_O Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Mar 16, 2019
  21. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    What happens when we draw against Cadiz at the SB 1-1 and he doesn't bring X Y Z on at the 58th minute?

Will those culprits who do it now to Carlo do the same to Xabi? I wonder.

petros93 repped this.
  22. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    I've read some rumours last year that Chelsea offered him 4x-5x his current wages, yet he chose to stay.

Don't know how much of that is true though.

Ahmadi8 repped this.
  23. Saeta Rubia

Saeta Rubia Member+

May 28, 2010
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    He has two kids and has been living in Madrid for more than a decade so I guess he values that stability more than extra money. Besides, Chelsea is a joke under Boehly so I doubt even Juni can away top talents to going there. He probably knows signing these targets are a little easier with RM.

Ahmadi8 and arcane repped this.
  24. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    I believe there were rumors of him being approached by another club in the past summer or the summer before that.

Was it United?

25. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As each day goes by, we gain more and more leverage in the Davies saga. It’s becoming terribly toxic between him and the fans. He’s definitely had a subpar season relative to his standard and it’s being blown more and more out of proportion because of the contract situation.

The more toxic it gets, the more Bayern is going to want to get rid of him. Im getting excited about that we’re going to steal this guy for pennies relative to his talent. I’m convinced, with a change of scenery, he will become a monster again