How Do You Replace a Legend? - The Transfers, Rumors & Lies Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Jun 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lecannois

lecannois Member

Real Madrid
    France
    Jul 6, 2023
    Totally lost respect and I am a HUGE fan of Ligue 1.

In a sense though, if they stop playing him, it's to his advantage. He can play both the Euro and Olympics and Real Madrid should be ok with it since he's taking a vacation from March to June.

What nonsense though. He was on pace to break all the records in France. He would have had over 50 goals in club play and likely 20 goals with NT in one season (or at least 15). 70 goals total would have been out of this world. Now, he's been stopped for no good reason.

2. temesgen

temesgen Member+

Jun 27, 2004
    Lyon is my favorite team in the league, I'd pay to watch the women and men play. And I think the league has been developing a consistent pool of talented players but unfortunately for Ligue 1 they move on.

3. arcane

arcane Member+

Aug 18, 2005
    Philippines
    About the defensive converns for the RB prospects.

All I can say is the club could only go for the best available options. And unfortunately, Dani and Lucas are getting up there and would be needing replacements soon.

RoadMan repped this.
  4. MiamiNative0722

MiamiNative0722 Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don’t expect he will ever be a Madrid player if Kylian comes, but I thought this quote was curious.

When you're at Madrid it is very difficult, if not impossible to hear 'I don't know what the future holds for me'. You're already where you want to be.

5. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I'd love to see Florentino make his "we can't compete, football is dying" pitch while signing both Mbappe and Haaland.

Nathanial Essex repped this.
  6. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    "Football can only survive through a competition organized by me."

And people wonder why the SL was a failure haha.

W8W8 and Nathanial Essex repped this.
  7. Digital

Digital Member+

Dec 10, 2012
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    #10757 Digital, Mar 5, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2024
    Maybe Flo is not talking about Madrid alone but everything outside of the EPL, the reality seems to be if the players do come to Madrid it’s not because we can compete financially with some EPL clubs in terms of what we can offer as a salary ( from reading more informed posters it seems we cannot a point you yourself made awhile back whilst claiming we’d fall behind in terms of the best young talent because “prestige” no longer matters to younger players they just want to get paid) but because they want to come and play for Madrid ( Jude, Cama, Tchou, Kylian if he comes) but you and your sidekick have all the knowledge when it comes to Flo and how much of a hypocrite he is, unlike me, so who am I to question your views

Shay Z, J-Mezzy, Halycon and 3 others repped this.
  8. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    I literally lold here. Thank you.

9. INST

INST Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 15, 2023
    Haaland is a relatively mediocre footballer, ability wise. Great goalscorer but I’d prefer a player that has more to offer on the ball. Sadly, the likes of Benzema are very rare.

Digital and Minduchio repped this.
  10. fierro

fierro Member+

Jan 30, 2007
    El Chuco
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    https://www.goal.com/en-us/lists/psg-kylian-mbappe-draw-monaco-ligue-1/blt14c7532ab55b08ef

This stuff is all worrisome with regard to the question of what kind of drama the turtle will bring. This isn't David Beckham level professionalism under Capello.

11. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I like players like Haaland and even Joselu who are just there to put the ball into the net and that's it. I prefer them over players like Rodrygo or Endrick who can be easily marked out of games through height.

12. Seoul Villan

Seoul Villan Member+

Feb 16, 2011
    Thats a serious hot take. If Haaland is mediocre, I’m dying to know who you consider elite.

W8W8, Shay Z, libertao and 1 other person repped this.
  13. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    When Cristiano Ronaldo joined us multiple stories were leaked about how he was disrespecting other current and former players, had his headphones on during team meetings etc.

When Bellingham left Dortmund people like Brandt and Can said he's going to stick out negatively in Madrid and make plenty of enemies in the locker room with his attitude.

Quite honestly, Mbappe is the best PSG player in the clubs history and it isn't even close.

History has shown that great players succeed in Madrid.

14. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Like Hazard?

15. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    If you recall correctly i never felt like Hazard was a great player in the first place.

Big brain foresight. At least i felt like he was average but he wasn't even that.

16. INST

INST Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 15, 2023
    Tbf I did say relatively mediocre. So comparing him to players in his position. He is of course fantastic in putting the ball away. But if you compare his link-up play, passing, vision, dribbling, ability in small spaces and the like; he comes up short imo. Like look at how Benzema did those things and compare to Haaland. Or even previous City strikers like G. Jesus or Aguero. Or other strikers/attackers around Europe like L. Martinez, Kane, Mbappe, Griezmann etc.

I find those names to have more footballing ability on the ball than Haaland. Which is not to say he sucks or is awful. Just that I find his footballing ability relatively average compared to other top attackers.

17. Ahmadi8

Ahmadi8 Member+

Apr 14, 2005
    Bahrain
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Bahrain
    Kaka?

18. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    By the time we got him he arguably wasn't the same player anymore. Like Chelsea Fernando Torres.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  19. Raul-7

Raul-7 Member+

Real Madrid
    Spain
    Aug 17, 2006
    I think he meant Haaland is elite - but not a creative-attacker like Benzema, Griezmann, David Villa, Messi, Robin van Persie, etc. He's a pure goal scorer like Ruud v. Nistelrooy, Diego Milito, or Robert Lewandowski.

So he puts him on a lower level compared to the creative-attackers.

20. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    Kaka and Hazard were mentally out of the game due to their injuries. In my opinion, they would both have succeeded if they had stayed healthy. Same for Bale and even Woodgate. I'd risk saying Bale would still be a starter for us, had he had an injury-free career.

21. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Nah, not at all. Just because someone plays a different game, doesn't mean they are inferior. Yes, Haaland is a great finisher, but the reason him and the likes of Ronaldo get so many goals is down to their intelligence and movement off the ball. Haaland can link up, assist, dribble etc.

And please, never put Jesus and Haaland in the same sentence again.

22. Nathanial Essex

Nathanial Essex Member+

Real Madrid
    England
    Mar 19, 2017
    Hazard was mentally out of the game as soon as he signed his contract. Said as much himself. He could have been injury free and disappointment would have been the same.

Serengeti_Boy and J-Mezzy repped this.
  23. HZinho

HZinho Member+

Apr 2, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not Kaka in my opinion. Sure, he wasn't the same anymore, but I always got the impression that he kept putting in the work and really wanted to get back at a high level. You could also see at times that he was devastated by how it all went. I truly felt for Kaka, and that wasn't only because he was one of my favourite players!

Hazard was a different story; he came in in terrible shape, putting himself at a disadvantage during pre-season and exposing himself to injuries. Afterwards, and particularly after his 'major' injury, he just didn't seem to care that it all went south for him. And hearing him now, I think we can all establish that, in fact, he indeed didn't care.

24. hector_br

hector_br Member+

Feb 13, 2007
    I disagree. I think he would get in shape eventually and play well. Of course, he would not be a star here due to his lack of self-care, but he would eventually play well as the seasons went on. People look back in frustration, but Hazard was talented and had a rocket of a shot.

Also, ZZ seemed to be a big fan, and I believe he would try everything for Hazard to succeed here if Eden remained injury-free.

Aside from the financial loss, everything ended well. We won La 14, Carlo unleashed Vini, and Hazard realized he could no longer play for us and left.

I can agree Kaka cared more than Hazard. But he also looked scared on the pitch, afraid of making certain moves to avoid injuries, making him a completely different player from his past self.

The same happened to Hazard, but I agree, Kaka seemed to try harder to get back to his former self.

Serengeti_Boy and RoadMan repped this.
  25. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Scoring goals is totally overrated.

Shay Z and hector_br repped this.