How Do You Replace a Legend? - The Transfers, Rumors & Lies Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Jun 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Kroos has had seasons where he looked like he was completely done and that the game had passed him by only to come back and still be effective.

2. russian hattie

russian hattie Member+

Feb 5, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    He might be playing so well because he knows it’s his last season. We will see though but I would love him to stay. I wonder if the two of them will become coaches?

I sometimes think about a Madrid best XI (based on those who I have actually seen play) and Modric got in there a while ago. I also would have probably had Alonso in there too alongside him, but Kroos could possibly be pushing him out.

3. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Those who thought we couldn’t win with Kroos in the side as a DM. Silent.

4. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Kroos will definitely play another year.

Modric is much older and likely gone after this year. He also has to play the Euro with Croatia this year. He usually never holds up well after an international tournament. Plus, you know Modric will play every available minute in that tournament. It is probably his last with Croatia.

5. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Kroos hasn't been playing as a lone DM, Fede covers every blade of grass and then some. We can get away with this against most La Liga teams but it's suicidal against quality sides. We've seen this before.

Toni has been better this season, I think part of that has to do with fresh legs surrounding him but also for the first time in ages he actually has competition for his position.

hector_br, Deep Pal, Shay Z and 4 others repped this.
  6. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Kroos has always had legs around him. We played with Camavinga, Valverde and Bellingham so I don’t believe that’s the case now.

The problem was, we was winning but leaking goals and it was all Kroos fault because he’s an old man lol.

World class always rises to the top.

7. REALFOREVER

REALFOREVER Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    With Valverde beside him and Bellingham in front. He is well covered. Similarly, Modric looks fine when he has Tchouameni beside him at the back.

It's just a question of balance. Kroos and Modric can give you good minutes in the right system. There just isn't a system right now where both of them fit. Hopefully, Ancelottie has caught on to this finally.

Seoul Villan, Açores57 and boeder repped this.
  8. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Not so sure. Kroos IMO just like Lahm, he just wants to retire when he is still on top. Even it's for some 'too young to retire'

9. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    From the modern (i.e. post Di Stefano) era, my best XI at their peak is probably:

Casillas, Carvajal, Hierro, Ramos, Marcelo; Kroos, Modric, Zidane; Cristiano, Ronaldo (R9), Figo.

Honourable mentions to Raul, Guti, Roberto Carlos, Benzema, Redondo.

Deep Pal, RoadMan and russian hattie repped this.
  10. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Exactly.

Kroos can still contribute massively so long as he is not pressed or positioned as the lone DM – when he has time and space against low-block no-press teams he can do wonders.

I still think both him and Modric will be pressured to leave, my hypothesis is that our financials cannot accommodate keeping all the prestige high paid veterans and all the rising stars on the wings + midfield (some might want pay bumps due to Mbappe) while getting both Mbappe (€150m signing bonus + massive wage) and Davies (+€60m).

11. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018

Well the club thinks differently.

12. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I was comparing to last season where Kroos wasn't insulated. If memory serves correctly he and Modric were on the pitch at the same time quite a bit last season and at that point it didn't matter who the 3rd midfielder was.

Nobody is saying the guy isn't world class, but at this point he definitely needs a system catered to his abilities.

natenate101 repped this.
  13. Beowulf112

Beowulf112 Member

Real Madrid
    Croatia
    Jun 3, 2018
    Just watched today bayer vs dortmund...frimpong aint on madrid level...i like more hakimi or prime reece james as a right back option for future

14. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

15. MerlinRM

MerlinRM Member+

May 5, 2014
    Georgia
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Toni has at least another year at Real Madrid. Still a quality talent to have on the bench next season.

16. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    @boeder
    You want Mourinho as Brazil coach instead of Carlo.

Honestly, I wouldn’t be pulling out quotes with statements like that :D

17. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    Next time Joselu misses a good chance and the match thread + this thread get filled with comments about how Haaland would unquestionably have buried it and scored another 4-5, keep some perspective:

https://dubz.co/v/1ncxc1

https://cazn.me/m/b13061

18. Nir_O

Nir_O Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Mar 16, 2019
  19. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
  20. ImadEdd

ImadEdd Member+

Real Madrid
    Morocco
    Feb 17, 2019
    Let's not compare Haaland and Joselu :D

21. INST

INST Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 15, 2023
    To be fair we’ve seen CR7 miss those types of chances. Thing is with Joselu it is kinda the default whereas with Haaland it would be the exception. That being said…I do find him very limited as a player. Much more a fan of the Benzema type strikers who offer much more.

22. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    #8397 boeder, Dec 3, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2023
    You're literally replying to your own quotes at this point, Stawberry :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Mods should have banned you after your "Mbappe is coming, the Sheikh has spoken, fuc* whoever says otherwise" BS all summer long. There was an agreement on this IIRC.

hector_br repped this.
  23. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I wouldn't put Haaland in the same sentence as Joselu tbh.

It's not about Joselu's misses –because all strikers miss– but how he misses them. I called him a segunda-tier striker yesterday after I re-watched a lot of his missed opportunities this season, the man almost exclusively takes his 1v1 shots directly at the GK, very very rarely does he go for the far side even if it's open, even worse he keeps on doing that one chance after another. That's what makes him an bloody mediocre CF: scores 1 every 10-12 chances because of his poor targeting. And Perez is reportedly impressed, I bet because he'll only cost €1.5mil.

Deep Pal, Seoul Villan and ImadEdd repped this.
  24. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    BREAKING..things are happening..Ojo..tick tack.. here we go..key days ahead..in Valdebebas they say..

hector_br repped this.
  25. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    My point seems to have been missed -- obviously I'm not equating Joselu with Haaland, was just a reminder how ALL strikers miss easy chances, even ones with a reputation for being prolific, efficient scorers in the box, which posters here often seem to forget.

ahnaf, Shay Z, temesgen and 1 other person repped this.