How Do You Replace a Legend? - The Transfers, Rumors & Lies Thread

Discussion in 'Real Madrid' started by Nathanial Essex, Jun 13, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INST

INST Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 15, 2023
    Mbappe has clearly dropped a level. He has been underwhelming in every game I’ve seen of him this season. Maybe stuck too long in France and didn’t develop as expected. Either way, I hope we pass. I legitimately do.

Try Endrick and see what happens. Couldn’t possibly do worse than Joselu so would be a net positive. Davies I would like as a LB. Mendy is very poor with the ball. Was never his strongsuit but it has gotten worse. Fran I see more as a bench option.

I do wonder when we’re going to target a successor to Carvajal. He does fantastic of course this season but at an age where a decline can happen very swiftly. Maybe 2025? Can’t be much longer.

MerlinRM and Deep Pal repped this.
  2. Fuera del Juego

Fuera del Juego Member+

May 10, 2007
    Nevada
    The issue with any Endrick:Joselu comparison is that they play as polar opposites. Endrick's shooting is much much better than Joselu's, but in watching him this season with Palmeiras, he isn't nearly as likely to be moving in the box providing a target and distraction for the CBs. Maybe he has that in his game and just hasn't been showing it due to how Palmeiras sets up and their comparatively weak (post injury) midfield, but he's been playing more as a hybrid of Rodrygo/Fede when they were deployed on the right wing last season than like Joselu now.

hector_br repped this.
  3. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He's averaging a goal per game with the car stuck on neutral. We don't have a single player other than Bellingham with that kind of potential on the team.

I understand people don't like him and know the reasons, but he's 1 of 1 right now in the game.

-Reivax- and Ssr9 repped this.
  4. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    He is not dropped anything. IMO it's just frustrating for him to play in this woeful PSG team. Time to change team/league/for new challenges. Welcome Mbappe! (for the third time)

5. INST

INST Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 15, 2023
    I don’t see how it is relevant whether we have players putting up similar numbers to determine if he dropped a level or not. I’m just going by what I’ve seen of him this season which is a fair amount. If we’d go by stats only Haaland is the greatest and yet everyone can see how limited he is on the ball.

Mbappe looks slower, barely takes on players and seems to need a lot of space to do something. And this isn’t because disliking him or anything like that. Not calling him shit either. Just an observation that he isn’t as good this season.

Go look at the PSG forums and you can find similar comments to mine. Whatever it is they agree he seems to have slowed down.

Now is he a better option than like Joselu? Of course.

6. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Yeah, this isn't a discussion worth having.

Serengeti_Boy repped this.
  7. AppleBob86

AppleBob86 Member+

Real Madrid
    Jan 11, 2018
    Can’t believe it’s a discussion of if mbappe is a better solution to Joselu lol

8. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    "I think we should put our trust into Joselu and Endrick"

6 months later:

"God, I've had enough of those morons, why don't they strengthen the team"

Deep Pal, Shay Z, Serengeti_Boy and 2 others repped this.
  9. madridismo

madridismo Member+

Feb 28, 2007
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Good points - honestly though would you even want to move Jude back with the return he is giving in his current position?

If Kroos and Modric both leave; I think we need another top-tier midfielder. Barella could be one, but I can also see us being interested in Bernardo Silva or Bruno Fernandes.

10. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Mbappe bolsters our attack and instantly becomes our best option no doubt, but the overall shine of the player (at club level) has definitely wore off, nothing controversial in saying that.

You'll be hard pressed to find many quality players who have significantly progressed at PSG. At 18, Donnarumma was trending to be the best goalkeeper in the world by a landslide, his regression has been alarming and rumours in Paris they're already looking to replace him.

11. Açores57

Açores57 Member+

Oct 4, 2015
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    I think a rotational level midfielder around Ceballos' caliber would suffice, should both Kroos and Modric leave. Less is more with Kroos, I think he may just stick around one more season, especially if we bring in Xabi.

Bruno would've been awesome at one point but he would be redundant with Jude here. Bernardo will be 30 heading into next season, I don't see us spending on him nor would Pep sell to us. We'll have to see what we have in Guler, and I would assume Nico Paz will be promoted next season. I would rather invest in a young CB and move Alaba to the midfield.

12. INST

INST Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 15, 2023
    That was not the discussion. Come on now, no need to argue in bad faith.

It was just an observation that Mbappe dropped a level (or not) this season. Yes he would strengthen the team immediately. No one is saying otherwise.

So I do wonder if him staying in France for so long had a negative effect on his development.

13. W8W8

W8W8 Member

Real Madrid
    Netherlands
    Jul 15, 2018
    I mean nobody thinks Joselu is even close to Mbappe BUT how much are you willing to spend to get Mbappe or rather keep Joselu and wait for Endrick

14. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    How much are you willing to spend on heating your home VS waiting for it to just get warmer?

15. J-Mezzy

J-Mezzy Member+

Real Madrid
    Colombia
    Oct 14, 2013
    Orlando
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    :ROFLMAO:
    That was a good one lol

16. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    "Or the year after" :ROFLMAO:

17. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Relevo after posting "Mbappe is signing" a million times "it was never close".

TikTok accounts with a press pass.

Deep Pal and Shay Z repped this.
  18. libertao

libertao Member+

Mar 15, 2006
    PSG and Mbappe demand that Madrid pay for the ridiculous the loyalty clause that PSG and Mbappe agreed to between each other, Madrid refuses, Relevo translation: "Real Madrid was not financially fit to sign Mbappe."

Deep Pal and Shay Z repped this.
  19. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Nah bro Relevo was one of the sources that never said RM and Mbappe were close in the summer.

But at the end of the day Relevo/Marca/AS/SER are all the same. The credibility of all the Spanish outlets is in the toilet.

20. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Cadena SER belongs to PRISA.

Prisa owns among others:

AS, El Pais, Cadena Ser, Cuatro, Canal+ so you have one piece playing the ball over to another.

El Mundo, Marca, Radio Marca belongs to RCS, so same there.

Relevo was created by a former Marca editor as "Sports Journalism for Gen Z" and belong to the same Group as the ABC daily, so their sources are close to Marca considering they are located in Madrid and draw from the same sources.

Sports journalism is not considered journalism in Spain. When the former AS lead editor resigned to write about politics, he said it was because he wanted to practice the profession he went to a university for.

21. boeder

boeder Member+

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    Feb 27, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    I meant "all the same" in terms of their reliability.

22. 4x4s

4x4s Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    It really depends. A lot of things people dislike are floated from inside the club to the press to see how the general public response is.

23. Ssr9

Ssr9 Member+

Real Madrid
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sydney
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    Mali
    On the topic of Kroos, I would keep him if possible due to his profile which is unique in the squad and his positive influence on the youngsters.

However, with the incoming players, you have think also about the wages.

Kroos and Modric combine for approximately 50m euros gross per season.

That’s probably a big factor. If Mbappe/Davies come, you’ll need some of that cash off the books.

And you already have Jude/Cama/Fede/Tchou/Ceballos/Paz …….

Some tough calls to make…

Deep Pal, Shay Z and libertao repped this.
  24. RaMaaa

RaMaaa Member+

Feb 3, 2013
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Don't think it's tough call. Would be amazing if Kroos will stay for another year. Modrič.. IMO he will leave no matter what

25. INST

INST Member

Real Madrid
    Aug 15, 2023
    Don’t know if Kroos has another year in him. Decline can happen very, very fast at that age and this season you can already see him slowing down. Going out on top would be maybe preferred.

Hope both get a great farewell. Will miss them so much. Ran that midfield for 10 years :cry:

Deep Pal repped this.