How Do You Rate the Chances of a Military Confrontation Between the US and Iran?

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by Iranian Monitor, Jul 1, 2005.

1. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Bush's reasoning never changed. IT NEVER CHANGED. The administration has admitted that WMD was a pretext for going to war, and that it was the most convenient.

Iran has publicly stated that it will not be deterred from making nuclear weapons by anyone. So yes.

The US isn't Israel. They have far more aerial power. They'll carpet bomb any place with potential nuclear weapons after taking out Iran's air defenses in a few days.

Gosh, you'd think the US would only bomb places where they know weapons are located. Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Are you retarded? Seriously, are you? These bombings were carefully chosen. They were carefully planned. They were done with discernment and discrimination. Just because you think that killing civilians is bad, does not mean that the targets were chosen indiscriminately. They were not.

Please provide evidence of this.

Are you insane? An occupation force to take over Iraq and a small force to capture the straits of Hormuz are VASTLY different things.

The objective of the war? Yes, it has been met. The objective of the occupation? No, it hasn't. There's a difference.

That shows you have absolutely no ability to read.

The United States administration has admitted that it used WMDs as a pretext to go to war in Iraq, because WMDs were the easiest pretext to claim. So yes, you dumb douchebag, that WAS the purpose from the beginning!

Of course it can! What do you think it did when it bombed Serbia?

A false assumption which implies someone will retaliate against the US. Which they won't.

Actually, I don't. I can't think of a single great empire save Persia (twice) that was defeated by a single military campaign. And it certainly wasn't due to arrogance.

I do believe we're just starting to plumb the depths of your stupidity. Do go on.

You attacked another poster for having no "common sense" on military issues and then proceeded to sprew utter nonsense that demonstrates you haven't a clue. Such as your insistence that Iraq and Iran would be analogous wars (they would not), that you NEED a ground war to achieve your objectives (you don't) and that the US went to war over WMDs (something they have stated is not true). On top of that, you're actually claiming that Iran hasn't publicly stated that they're not developing a nuclear weapons program, when they've been claiming "no one will stop us from achieving our nuclear goals". Then there was your bizarre foray into military history where you completely failed to understand that the concept of a land march into hideously difficult terrain to capture one city may in fact be dumb.
    You are, in short, misinformed, ignorant of history, ignorant of military tactics, ignorant of Iran and US pronouncement on key issues, and insanely gullible since you believe that an invastion from Azerbaijan is possible. On top of that, you somehow think that having an understand of what Bush will do implies support of Bush's tactics. Which renders your reasoning skills no better than than those of a meth addict going cold turkey.

2. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    If KSA stands against it, it would dampen its prospects. But Iran, as far as I know, is going ahead with its plans to have an independent exchange for the oil market. If successful, it would have major consequences for the world economy which today is basically premised on US dollars.

If the Saudis stand against it, it would be purely due to US pressures. They were intially open to the idea, and implicitly endorced it, since even they were feeling threatened somewhat by all the talk about "war on terrorism".

Maybe that is one of the reasons George Bush was walking hand in hand with the Saudi royals not long ago!

3. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Dear nicephoras,

As I told I will be the more mature person and not respond to your drivel. Anyone reading this thread can see what utter rubbish you are talking without the need for me to further show you the error of your ways. I have proven you to be ignorant on more than one occassion and no matter how many times you shout calling me dumb, it will not change the facts. I think this is a case of "bullsh!t until the other guy believes you're telling the truth and then carry on until you believe you're telling the truth". Unfortunately it seems to have happened with you.

I will not be dragged down to your level.

Kind regads,

!Bob

4. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    BTW, here is the article by William Clark on the issue. As you might recall, Clark was the National Security guy who became famous pointing out how Bush himself had pushed Clark to look at Iraq for the culprits behind 9/11.

For the record, I personally do NOT agree that this is the real motive for any war against Iran. The motive dates to neocon dreams of empire and can be found in their PNAC.

5. nicephoras

nicephoras A very stable genius

Fucklechester Rangers
    Jul 22, 2001
    Eastern Seaboard of Yo! Semite
    Dear !Bob,

No you haven't. You've been shown to be a charlatan who doesn't understand the issues. But I accept your admission that you were wrong.

Regards,

nicephoras

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Bob,

For every person who posts here, there are several who read the comments and whose egos aren't implicated. Although people are inevitably affected by their prejudices and preconceived notions, at the end, people like nicephoras expose how the "other side" of the debate is all about throwing around insults.

My advise is to ignore him, unless he says something that allows you to make your own points. He has no point to make except the point that is clear: he thinks insults and labels win arguments with anyone except the already converted.

7. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    IM cites CIA & Pravda in same post!
    in the CIA info: http://www.cia.gov/cia/publications/factbook/geos/ir.html#Econ
    Economy - overview:
    Iran's economy is marked by a bloated, inefficient state sector, over reliance on the oil sector, and statist policies that create major distortions throughout. Most economic activity is controlled by the state. Private sector activity is typically small-scale - workshops, farming, and services. President KHATAMI has continued to follow the market reform plans of former President RAFSANJANI, with limited progress. Relatively high oil prices in recent years have enabled Iran to amass some $30 billion in foreign exchange reserves, but have not eased economic hardships such as high unemployment and inflation. The proportion of the economy devoted to the development of weapons of mass destruction remains a contentious issue with leading Western nations.
    Population below poverty line: 40% (2002 est.)
    GDP - real growth rate: 6.3% (2004 est.)
    Inflation rate (consumer prices): 15.5% (2004 est.)
    Exchange rates: rials per US dollar - 8,614 (2004), 8,193.9 (2003), 6,907 (2002), 1,753.6 (2001), 1,764.4 (2000) note: Iran has been using a managed floating exchange rate regime since unifying multiple exchange rates in March 2002
    Illicit drugs: despite substantial interdiction efforts, Iran remains a key transshipment point for Southwest Asian heroin to Europe; domestic narcotics consumption remains a persistent problem and according to official Iranian statistics there are at least two million drug users in the country; lax anti-money-laundering regulations

8. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    Not quite. Any legitimate source, including the World Bank and the IMF, as long as they are measuring the economy using the "purchasing power parity index" will give you the same estimates. Those estimates, incidentially, underestimate Iran's economy still. But they are certainly better than using an index that is not mean for comparative analysis! The other index you see are based on "real dollars". Well, in Iran, you can take $1,000 real American dollars and live a life that would cost your $5,000 in the US! A country's standard of living cannot be understood using "real dolar" figures. Those figues are worthwhile for other purposes, although sometimes out of ignorance and often just to make a political point, people use the wrong index to make their points.

As for the synopsis of Iran's economy by the CIA, it is rather accurate. And accepted by even Iranian economists. Every politician in Iran who has any economic sense knows the bloated state beaurcracy and control over the economy has to be loosened up. But it is harder to do when it can cause short terms problems. For instance, in Iran, a lot of things are heavily subsidized by the government: from the gas you put in the gas tank, to the food you eat, to the price of pharmaceuticals, and mcuh more. It would cause a major political backlash for polticians who want to genuinely tackle the problem.

Here is a good article, incidentally, in this very issue. In the context of this article, incidentally, it is apprporiate to use real dollar GDP estimates for per capita income ($2,000) as opposed to the purchasing power parity ($7,500) because if subsidies are removed, initially people will have to pay for the goods using their "real dollar income", although the money saved can be put back in their pockets to raise those "real dollar incomes".

BTW, for the record, "South Tehran" is the poorest section of Tehran. Analogous to "South Central LA" without the high crime rate.

9. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    What, no al-Crippohs or al-Bloodahs?

10. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    "al" is Arabic. Not Persian. And Persian get offended when they are confused with Arabs.

Let me just say one thing about the Iranian economy and democracy. As it should be evident by that MSNBC article, when it comes to some of the problems in Iran's economy, the problem in a way is the opposite! Too many elections promises, too many elections, and ergo too much wasteful government spending.

You have this at a smaller scale in the US, because your "system" does indirectly vet candidates. And that system ultimately has heavy capitalist bias, given the money that needs to be raised and the lobbysits and party big and corporate big whigs who have to endorce your candidacy.

In Iran's just concluded election, to fight for votes, even Rafsanjani had to make some spectacular promises. Including giving every familiy $11,000 each in shares in industries to be privatized, as well as $160 a month in additional unemployment benefits.

The guy they elected, Ahmadinejad, however was implicity promising them more. And the Iranian parliament, to keep the voters happy, has refused to slash the huge state subsidies that are eating away at the Iranian economy.

As I noted when the early results of the first round elections were coming, showing a remarkably strong showing by Karrubi (promised every family an added government stipend of $60 a month as just a handout, to everyone!), and Ahmadinejad the problem is not about democracy per se! In Iran, indeed, a lot of things that are wrong are wrong because the decision making appeals to the lowest common denominator. In other words, the "system" ultimately relies for its power base on the poor, yet giving them "feel good answers" that don't necessarily solve their problems.

11. JBigjake

JBigjake Member+

Nov 16, 2003
    Guess you missed the smiley. I don't speak Farsi & didn't feel like asking those I know who do for a catchphrase,
    P.S. Some Americans get offended when people who live in this country use language such as "your system". I don't know if you're a citizen or not, but get with the program while you're here.

12. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    I am going to post two perspectives on Iran's new president. One from Patrick Seale writing for Al Hayat, an Arabic publication. The other from Micahel Rubin, a prominent neoconservative who was once the advisor to Iraq's Coaltion Provisional Authority. Both these viewpoints are offered from a perspective that is knowledgeable, despite diamterically opposed biases.

13. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The other side:

14. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Thanks for the two articles but what I am confused about is how could facts be different? It is one thing to have diffent opinions based on facts but not to present different facts completely? As an example, one is saying Ahmadinejad has stated complete lack of interest in nuclear weapons as they are "he has declared that nuclear weapons were ‘against Islamic values'" while the other article is going by the line "Ahmadinejad openly advocates Iran’s crash programme to obtain nuclear weapons". So which is it?? There were other examples of distortion of facts between the two going beyond differing opinions but that was perhaps the most obvious and confusing.

Also when was the Ruben article written as it is referring to Ahmadinejad as one of the hostage takers in this obvious and unintelligent smear campaign? This has already been proven not to be the case. I wasn't able to get the details from the link provided.

15. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    From a neocon perspective, Rubin is as pretty close to a "factual presentation" as you can get:) Sure. In neocon lexicon, if someone says that Iran will pursue its nuclear energy program, that means Iran will pursue a nculear weapons program. And as for the "hostage taking" claim, I guess the best we can expect is that vague disclaimer regarding not knowing the "extent of his role".

All in all, it is better for neocon sympathisers to read Rubin than some of their other folks who run nothing but an out and out mere smear campaign, and fill their articles outright lies.

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    This article, appearing in an Israeli publication, is from Israel's former consul general in New York, Alon Pinkas. The assumption in this article is that Iran really wants nuclear weaspons, whereas I am convinced that if Iran is treated fairly, it will be satisfied with merely having "surge capacity".